Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sulphurs

Default sulphurs

So I have been busy chasing white bass around the lower holston the past few weeks with little to moderate success. Yesterday evening I saw ALOT of yellow mayflies (size 14/16) coming off near the upper end of Boyd island. I was wondering if anyone has been seeing the same further upstream or on the clinch? Also, I saw several bigger, more pale, almost white mayflies floating downstream as well. Are these sulphurs also or something else like a PMD or cahill? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 77punk; 04-25-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: I'm a knuckle head
    don't go ninja'n anybody don't need ninja'n

Email Punk

I fished on the lower half of the Clinch yesterday afternoon with my buddy Phil(psnapp). We saw approx. 20 sulphurs in around 4-5 hrs of fishing.

Fishing was ok down there, but hoping it heats up in the next few weeks. All the fish we caught were very healthy and strong!
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Thanks Wilson. Seems nobody is talking, maybe there's not much to talk about. But looking at the view to reply ratio (270+ views 1 reply) I can't blame anyone for being a bit tight lipped on this board.

Nobody wants to see 200 people in their favorite areas.
    don't go ninja'n anybody don't need ninja'n

Email Punk

Do you happen to have any pictures of those larger mayflies?
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
    Thanks Wilson. Seems nobody is talking, maybe there's not much to talk about. But looking at the view to reply ratio (270+ views 1 reply) I can't blame anyone for being a bit tight lipped on this board.

Nobody wants to see 200 people in their favorite areas.

Spend enough time fishing around here and there aren't too many true secrets.
    A handful of patterns catch fish year round on the Clinch.
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

While i have fished the local tailwaters for a long time, my observations this year are only very recent as l am just now starting to fish this spring due to resolution of turkey issues…but here is my input. Fished Clinch and Holston in various places in the last week and l have only seen a pitiful smattering of sulphurs in places that normally have reasonable hatches. Maybe they are late. In my experience the Holston sulphurs are very limited in appearance to very few places in the river to start with, and the hatches normally are not prolonged for many days. Some years they are far more prolific and last year there was a nice hatch for a few weeks. River running lower generally this year, So l may have missed them this year. There are other mayflies there that are not suplhurs that do appear more regularly but they are sparse hatches when they do occur.

Clinch hatch has been very prolific in some years but the last few years have had less sulphurs than usual. There usually are some days on the Clinch when the bugs explode in large numbers but it can be a one -two day event for that kind of large emergence. Normally they dribble off some every day in April and into summer. The hatches in either river do not have the consistency or duration of those in the South Holston fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
    Clinch hatch has been very prolific in some years but the last few years have had less sulphurs than usual. There usually are some days on the Clinch when the bugs explode in large numbers but it can be a one -two day event for that kind of large emergence. Normally they dribble off some every day in April and into summer. The hatches in either river do not have the consistency or duration of those in the South Holston fwiw.
    77punk,
    This can be a very complicated or very simple subject. Joe's post is very typical of the Clinch in my opinion. I think the colder weather has delayed the 'histogram' of the hatch by a month or so...However; the stability of generation and water releases this winter have allowed the nymphs to thrive in the vegetation. I have seined very large concentrations of nymphs in different stages of instars in the past month. I personally feel this will be a banner year for mayfly hatches on the Clinch. The challenge is to dial in the peak hatch days...
    Look for warm/humid
    nights & high lunar phases, with low water levels; then expect good hatches around:

• 11-12:30,
    • 3:30-4:30,
    • 7:30-9:00.

That is what my fly fishing logs tell me. Hope that helps guide you forward.
    Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-01-2014 at 07:39 AM.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Talking

ON the holston some of those larger may flys are actually crane flys.The sulfur hatch hasn't started in any of our rivers,with exception s .h in small scale. Remember MAY fly , allmost here !!!

Saw a very nice crane fly hatch down at the jail last week and counted 2 rises.
    Sigh.

4X

I floated the Clinch Sunday with two other members of Clinch TU chapter, put in Peach Orchard about 1:30, floated about 20 minutes, than wet waded about 1/8 mile while boat was beached, as we waited for 2:00 flow to catch up. Between 2:30 and 4:00 pm fairly prolific sulpher hatch in our area, quite a few rises not a lot of takers. The suprising part was no one on the river that afternoon, only two kayakers passed us all day and we stayed on the water untill almost 8pm taking out at 61 ramp. It was a rare case of the illusion of private waters while on the Clinch on a weekend, like lightning in a bottle or maybe it was because they knew a storm was coming? We were lucky and it just skirted us about 7:00 PM with a quick shot of lightning and a quick rain, barely got wet!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."