Thread: Clinch Didymo plague

Default Clinch Didymo plague

if you have not been on the Clinch this spring you may be in for shock at the amount of Didymo that is all over the bottom of the river. Since it thrives on cold water this would be the year to expect a bloom like we currently have. As the river temps warm it should be killed back some but right now it is an ugly sight. I have seen it from the weir to Clinton and it seem to be breaking loose in reaction to generation from the turbines and so you may have to clean your fly more often than usual if you are wading. A friend who like me has fished the river since the 1960s says he thinks this is the all time worst that he has seen on that river. I would agree.

Going to be hard on the baitslingers. When I fished in march I didn't notice it, but that doesn't mean much as it may have come on since then

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
    if you have not been on the Clinch this spring you may be in for shock at the amount of Didymo that is all over the bottom of the river. Since it thrives on cold water this would be the year to expect a bloom like we currently have. As the river temps warm it should be killed back some but right now it is an ugly sight. I have seen it from the weir to Clinton and it seem to be breaking loose in reaction to generation from the turbines and so you may have to clean your fly more often than usual if you are wading. A friend who like me has fished the river since the 1960s says he thinks this is the all time worst that he has seen on that river. I would agree.
    Joe,
    It seems about average to me. The spring draw down seems to really stir it up after it has flourished during the winter. I expect it to be thinned out by July.

Jim,
    I bet the fish mongers are having fits. I have been tangled in line just about every location I get out and wade.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I think the algae we are seeing the most is not didymo .it seems green thready and not white snotty.
    We need a good flush to move it along.Fishing is impossible with current generation water looks like moving salad.
    My concern is possibility warmer water temps lower stretchin near future if they decrease generation . last year i made a comment in june about warm water that got lots of laughs but later proved accurate and we all saw skinny fish, less bugs in lower stretch later in season.I live on the lower river and just have to walk out the door stick my feet in river and look at bottom to see whats going on,no fahrenheit,bug nomencalture just simple observations.
    in my experience fishing has been tough lately....

The lower river has been fishing super slow and has been on the decline for the past 2-3 yrs. IMO.
    There is an insane amount of mayfly nymphs IN THE ALGAE surrounding rocks down there!
    The Soho has lots of snot everywhere and is one of the buggiest rivers you'll find.
    So, the food is there, where are the trout?
    I'll tell you where: In stripers bellys!
    Let's just say that a lake run striper population runs low on it's food source that it's relied on for years (shad, etc.), that population IMO has moved onto another food source.
    Unfortunately, IMO, that is trout.
    What's funny is, the Soho IMO is experiencing the same problem at the bottom section near Bluff City. Stripers.
    This is not good.
    All is not lost for the intrepid though.
    I've landed at least 20 fish this Spring over 18" while midge fishing in a top-secret area of the river that stripers seldom see. But if I were to post pics or reveal the area, the conga line would appear over night.
    Good luck out there,
    4X

Quote Originally Posted by truchin View Post
    I think the algae we are seeing the most is not didymo .it seems green thready and not white snotty.
    We need a good flush to move it along.Fishing is impossible with current generation water looks like moving salad.
    My concern is possibility warmer water temps lower stretchin near future if they decrease generation . last year i made a comment in june about warm water that got lots of laughs but later proved accurate and we all saw skinny fish, less bugs in lower stretch later in season.I live on the lower river and just have to walk out the door stick my feet in river and look at bottom to see whats going on,no fahrenheit,bug nomencalture just simple observations.
    in my experience fishing has been tough lately....
    Jose',
    I agree; most of the green stuff is aquatic vegetation. However; there is a noticeable portion of didymo on the mid-section of the river. The aquatic vegetation is already starting to die off due to the sun and lower waters. The only problem with this is that it gasses off and creates heat. So; the faster it is flushed; the better! The good thing about it is that it gives the fish a backup food-source. You will notice them bumping bottom and flashing over during sparse bug hatches. Those are good times to throw deep and heavy. However; the extra work for less calories does create snake-fish.

Quote Originally Posted by fourx View Post
    The lower river has been fishing super slow and has been on the decline for the past 2-3 yrs. IMO.
    There is an insane amount of mayfly nymphs IN THE ALGAE surrounding rocks down there!
    The Soho has lots of snot everywhere and is one of the buggiest rivers you'll find.
    So, the food is there, where are the trout?
    I'll tell you where: In stripers bellys!
    Let's just say that a lake run striper population runs low on it's food source that it's relied on for years (shad, etc.), that population IMO has moved onto another food source.
    Unfortunately, IMO, that is trout.
    What's funny is, the Soho IMO is experiencing the same problem at the bottom section near Bluff City. Stripers.
    This is not good.
    All is not lost for the intrepid though.
    I've landed at least 20 fish this Spring over 18" while midge fishing in a top-secret area of the river that stripers seldom see. But if I were to post pics or reveal the area, the conga line would appear over night.
    Good luck out there,
    4X
    Agree, the lower part of the river is a different ecosystem compared to the middle and upper tailwater. I do think the stripers and predatory fish have stunted some of the growth. Also; I am not completely sure; but, I do not think TWRA has stocked down there in a long time. It probably would do well to have some brookies down there to substitute the stripers' food source.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

River has a lot of algae IN addition to didymo...