Thread: Miller Island Project Clinch River 5/2014

Default Miller Island Project Clinch River 5/2014

Tonight after the Clinch River TU chapter meeting, I decided to drop down to Miller's Island boat access ramp just to see how high the river was and if anything was jumping. I was suprised to see the change just since Sunday afternoon. A friend, who works for TVA said recently a project was going to start soon to improve the ramp area and maybe even add restrooms. The first thing I noticed besides heavy equipment was the removal of trees and stumps on the bank overhanging the river. Even with construction people were still launching boats and kayaks!

I will reserve judgment until it's all done!

Last edited by bigsur; 05-09-2014 at 01:37 AM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

It has been a long time coming. I was waiting to post pics today. I think it will be a much better ramp and area. Thanks TVA for the improvement! To my TVA buddies; I will quit calling you about it now.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

My only thought about this entire post and pictures is if the Toyota Avalon could pull the 17' flat bottom boat up the ramp. Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
    My only thought about this entire post and pictures is if the Toyota Avalon could pull the 17' flat bottom boat up the ramp. Lmao
    It's a 4x4 Avalon only available in Canada! I did not even notice till I got home and posted, I was so shocked by the new landscape it did not register as I took the shots.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Folks, he launches that boat all the time with no problem. Actually, it does better than most trucks. The key is he only pulls it a mile or so. Plus, the tongue weight and static weights are all within the car's specs. I would add that Honda's are great for pulling boats as well. But, mine just had its transmission go out.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

I'm sure it pulls it w no problem. That FWD car will pull it better than the next guys 2wd s10 pickup. Lol what really cracks me up is when you see jeep wranglers pulling at 30' pontoon boat. It may be able to pull it, but can it stop it.... Haha

Default bigsur

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post

It's a 4x4 Avalon only available in Canada! I did not even notice till I got home and posted, I was so shocked by the new landscape it did not register as I took the shots.
    bigsur,

email me your contact info.

breckdavis100@gmail.com

As Shawn stated the guy in the Avalon has no trouble pulling the boat out of the water and it impressed me more when he put it in and took it out with that car at the ramp on the upper Clinch at the Hwy 25 bridge between Tazewell and Clinch Mtn. last fall. That is one steep ramp.
    I checked out the ramp area at Miller Island this a.m. when they were not generating to see how much water would be in the ramp area and was pleased to see that there was enough water in there to get a boat in (if you have a boat outfitted for shallow water).
    By the way Big Sur, you provided me proof for my wife that I was fishing that evening because that's my truck with the 2 pontoons on the trailer.....ha.
    Also Shawn, I caught a 20 in brownie the other day with a particular midge you provided.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
    As Shawn stated the guy in the Avalon has no trouble pulling the boat out of the water and it impressed me more when he put it in and took it out with that car at the ramp on the upper Clinch at the Hwy 25 bridge between Tazewell and Clinch Mtn. last fall. That is one steep ramp.
    I checked out the ramp area at Miller Island this a.m. when they were not generating to see how much water would be in the ramp area and was pleased to see that there was enough water in there to get a boat in (if you have a boat outfitted for shallow water).
    By the way Big Sur, you provided me proof for my wife that I was fishing that evening because that's my truck with the 2 pontoons on the trailer.....ha.
    Also Shawn, I caught a 20 in brownie the other day with a particular midge you provided.

Mike
    Mike,
    I thought that was your rig in the background! Glad that pattern did you well. I have some different ones for you to try the next time.
    power