Thread: south holston

Default south holston

Any been up to the Soho lately? I've heard conflicting reports but I want to fish it soon...

It seems that in the past few years the quantity of reports boasting good results on the South Holston (and the Clinch to some extent) have greatly been reduced. Although, I think that has more to do with people not posting about every good trip they have (myself included), than it has to do with a decline in fishing quality.

However, what I am hearing is that the river is fishing steady as usual... Which in my experience means lots of midges in the morning, sulfurs hatching in the afternoon, followed by spinners at dusk. If you plan to fish dry flies, be sure to take a wide assortment of patterns, sizes, and even colors to be able to match the hatch. My SoHo dry fly box has three colors of sparkleduns, and each of those in four sizes (15, 16, 17, & 18 ). Those trout are the most finicky I have ever fished for, and it has been essential that I have those options to match the hatch.

I caught 6 or 7 in three hours a few days ago. Anything from 13' down to 8". I saw quite a few guys leaving the river with sad faces in that time. A couple stopped and asked me what I was using, to which I replied; "A sulphur," which was the truth. I think a lot of your "luck" depends on skill level. I have no doubt that Knapp and several others on here could have gone in that same time frame and caught more than I did. So, in short: It really does depend on who you ask. In my opinion, it's fishing just fine.