Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse sites - how bad?

Default Horse sites - how bad?

I stayed at a horse site in the park perhaps 20 years ago. I found that the scatter the manure rule found on every park map was completely ignored. Instead there were multiple 4 foot high piles, and I recall more trash at the site than others. I haven't spent a night at a horse site since.

I spent a while avoiding shared use trails, but stopped that as it was really limiting the areas of the park I could enjoy. I'm beginning to consider trying a horse camp site again and would like input.

I'm hoping to make it down the 11/14 weekend, will likely be solo, and won't want to do a lengthy hike this trip.

I read several positive remarks about site 50 a few months back. I've walked right by 60 on Deep Creek several trips. I've spent 3X more time above Elkmont than all the rest of the park combined; but have never tried #27 on Jake's Creek.

I'm curious about other's experiences at horse sites but also impressions of the 3 sites mentioned.

Thanks!
    - Matt -
    Last edited by mattblick; 10-28-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Some are worse than others. It depends on how much use the site in question gets. I've stayed at some that were totally fine and others that were just a mess.

I agree with NDuncan.

I've never seen a major problem with piles of pooh, but when horses have been there during or just after a rain, it can turn the entire place into a nasty hog-lot.

Sort of hard to tell from this picture, but this site was in pretty bad shape.

I'd avoid 60, as teenagers like to camp there and haul beer & liquor in, as its not far from the trailhead. I wish I had a picture of the trash bags spotlight, grouseman & myself hauled out of there once. The good thing about Deep Creek is there are so many sites along the trail, there is really no need to limit yourself to a horse site.

I can't answer that, but, since the topic came up I thought I'd throw a gripe out. Why in the world can they bring these huge beasts in there in numbers but I can't take my Jack Russel Terrier with me fishing in the park? Just doesn't make good sense to me. They could even make a leash law, or a GPS collar law, or whatever, but, a pet dog is certainly a lot less destructive than a horse.

Funny story, my daughter wanted one for years and I held her off. I told her I wasn't going to own anything that eats while I'm sleeping because you're constantly getting behind!!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Check out #31 Porters Creek...not a horse site...less pressure than the water around Elkmont...just under four miles to the site...

...or stay at #86 Proctor and fish Hazel Creek-more water than you can fish in 4 days! Even though you aren't staying 4 days! Or maybe you will once you get there...if you have not already been!

Russ

If 57 is pole road which I think it is I stayed there tis past weekend. It wasn't in too bad of shape. There were no horses there then. I usually stay at 56 but it is closed right now. Stayed at bone valley over Labor Day and it was the trashiest site I've ever been to. On deep creek 59 and 58 are good also. If it rains I could see where 57 would be a complete mess.

Quote Originally Posted by gjbu View Post
    If 57 is pole road which I think it is I stayed there tis past weekend. It wasn't in too bad of shape. There were no horses there then. I usually stay at 56 but it is closed right now. Stayed at bone valley over Labor Day and it was the trashiest site I've ever been to. On deep creek 59 and 58 are good also. If it rains I could see where 57 would be a complete mess.
    57 is the Bryson place.
    I like 56.

I was at 55. I had a permit for 57 but went on to 55. It is also a horse site. 56 was closed Thursday due to aggressive bear. Had my numbers in reverse. 56 is my favorite site in that area.

A horse is a reflection of it's owner, can't blame the horse, only the owner.
    If it weren't for horses & mules, we couldn't enjoy what we do in the forest, they helped make it possible.
    Oh, i am a horse owner

Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    If it weren't for horses & mules, we couldn't enjoy what we do in the forest, they helped make it possible.

Grumpy
    That is 100% correct. Horses have been used to rebuild pole road bridge twice in recent history. I've got no issues with horses whatsoever. I do think that manure bags should at least be considered. All user groups deserve to be welcome in the park with compromises.