Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horse sites - how bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    I can't answer that, but, since the topic came up I thought I'd throw a gripe out. Why in the world can they bring these huge beasts in there in numbers but I can't take my Jack Russel Terrier with me fishing in the park? Just doesn't make good sense to me. They could even make a leash law, or a GPS collar law, or whatever, but, a pet dog is certainly a lot less destructive than a horse.

Funny story, my daughter wanted one for years and I held her off. I told her I wasn't going to own anything that eats while I'm sleeping because you're constantly getting behind!!
    I can agree with the logic on horses in this respect...but to justify their presence in the park at best as ok, I subscribe to the following logic: The number of horses inside the park on any given day is quite limited...I surmise, if all the folks who bring horses into the park were to show up on the same day, the number would not be close to the average number of dogs in the park per day...this without considering the frequency with which the two are present in the park.

...consider the frequency the park service would be ushering folks out of the park because they had to stay and find Fido...

...consider how many people would get lost, be off trail, be injured, walk off a rock bluff or the like chasing/finding Fido...

...and on these two points alone we would require and entirely separate office within the NPS to manage the park dog problems...and that sounds a lot like more taxes, less access, longer traffic jams, more disruption in general...none of which I am in favor of!

I use to be adamant about letting folks know that dogs are not allowed on the trails...people are so into themselves these days they would just as soon fight you to defend their inability to read a sign...I give it some thought before letting them know...whenever I can I just let a ranger know when and where and they can handle those folks accordingly...if they can catch`em!

Thanks all for the replies, suggestions, and opinions.

There are a lot of fans of Deep Creek here.. I have always walked on by 60, and it sounds like I should keep doing so. It seems I should try going up to 56. I previously stopped at 59 since Baumgardner Ridge really takes the spring out of my step.

Riffleman, #31 was a nice site last I visited but I haven't been there in at least 5 years. It is definitely one to consider in the near future if not on this trip. I haven't been to Hazel or Eagle since Fontana Marina asked me to bend over for the boat ride across, I've been considering bringing my Kayak down to paddle across from Cable Cove.

I have been hiking more and fishing less on trips this year; I want to reverse that on this trip. If conditions look favorable for fishing I'm thinking of giving 50 a try. If the backcountry site is in bad shape there will be no problem getting a pad at the campground. 31 or 37 look good if I start leaning towards hiking.

My thoughts about horses in the park are expressed/written by Jim Casada much better than I ever could..

My two cents on dogs: Bran, I suspect your Jack Russel could be fine in the park, but it is an exception. I have had lost dogs with GPS collars run through my campsite several times; their owners have a lot of time and money invested in these animals yet they still get lost. Animal interaction is unpredictable and most people aren't aware of the potential issues. On the trail I still mention the rule to owners since I can't understand why even the illiterate and non-English speakers are not able to understand the signs at the front of every trailhead. I politely mentioned the rule to a park visitor earlier this year and in return was threatened by the owner of 2 barely-controlled Rotts. I honestly believe he was hoping to run into a bear.

- Matt -
    Last edited by mattblick; 10-30-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    Thanks all for the replies, suggestions, and opinions.

I have been hiking more and fishing less on trips this year

- Matt -
    When you lighter that load on your back it REALLY makes the experience MUCH more pleasurable
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    When you lighter that load on your back it REALLY makes the experience MUCH more pleasurable
    I got my solo-trip pack, tent, bag, pad, and stove down to 8 1/2 pounds this year and only 45 liters volume to fill up with other crap.

This trip on the other hand; I'm going to bust out the 75L pack that is 5 1/2 pounds by itself; and my Biolite.
    Last edited by mattblick; 10-30-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Default They finally descended......

Suppose it is time to post a trip report.

Weather looked really bad so I decided more hiking than fishing again. Since it was forecast to get very cold I still had to carry the heavy 75L pack. Glad for every ounce of extra clothing I had in there, and yes Ducky I left the Biolite behind..

I decided to stay at 37 for the first time. Didn't hit the road until 7AM. Initially I had the grandiose plan to hike in from Cosby on Low Gap. Got there around 1, started the trip through the campground and then had sensible worries. Was on the Forney Ridge this time last year and rushed having enough light. I stay on wide trails when light is in question. Went back to the car and drove over to Big Creek instead. There was bad ice on RT32 between so I wasn't at Big Creek until 3.

The hike in on Big Creek Trail was still steeper than I am used to. Five miles on it was much more work than the 8 miles to 23. Could have also been the fast pace I kept with the heavy load. Sweat on my second layer sweater was freezing...

Arrived at 37 after dark and all 3 of the visible sites were in use. This really surprised me for time of year and weather. Found an empty spot the next day. Asked the group with the biggest fire if I could pitch my tent with them and they welcomed me. Shared some tobacco from the island South of Miami and Bourbon from the state South of Ohio with them. Turns out the group was comprised of Tennessee State Attorneys in from Chattanooga.

Dropped down to 14 degrees Friday night. I was warm in my tent but couldn't manage to get out of it for some time. Woke up at 8 but every time I tried to rise it was too darned cold. Once up, I reversed the tent fly to de-ice, cooked lunch, and planned my day. By noon I came to the conclusion it wouldn't get warm enough to fish until 2 or 3. I decided to head (wuss) out and stop along the way out to fish.

Fish pic for Ducky.. I had no idea these could be found in the park! Have you ever come across one in your surveys?

On the drive out I made a wrong turn off of RT32 somewhere and ended up on some forest service roads, had stream fords and all. Was having fun until Google maps lost me and the I hit a spot where it said there was a road but I think the bridge was gone. Turned around and came across some mountain bikers. The looked freaked out to see a car back there so I stopped for 15 to let them enjoy their ride and then proceeded. Spent the night in Gomorrah and drove home Sunday.

Should have gone the next weekend, I understand the weather was great. . I still got to be in the Smokies. Will probably be down next on MLK weekend.

Kokanee??
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post

Kokanee??
    Caught it first cast, with a Google pattern.
    Was going to go with a speckled sea trout but then saw this beauty. Figure it was better than bigsur's Gorton's pic.

You so funny. I fell for that pretty bad.

Actually though, at one time there were kokanee planted in at least one East Tenn lake, and I think I've heard that they're in Nantahala in NC. Would think it'd be a kick to catch them on a spawning run.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau