Thread: 11-2-2014 Scenery Great/ Fish Not So Much

Default 11-2-2014 Scenery Great/ Fish Not So Much

So with a bad case of cabin fever from Saturday, waited for a slight warm-up on Sunday and headed for the park. First, a tip of the hat to the park service, their twitter updates were rapid fire this weekend reagarding road conditions. I made a quick stop by LRO and knew the only option at that time was Tremont, no brown hunting on Little River Rd as it was still closed from the Wye to Elkmont at noon. The traffic was piling into Cades Cove as I took my left and proceded up the road, now I have basically stopped fishing Tremont the last year or so due to the heavy use for fishing but mostly to the constant parade of cars, kinda hard to focus and takes away the point of quiet mountain stream for me.

It was cold but with the right gear, winter fishing is not that bad and thins the herd for sure. I was looking for a stretch of sun soaked water and finally found a stretch right below the institute stiil on the asphalt. I jumped in with the 2wt and a nymph and started, with low expectations and just glad to be out after having to go to Louisville last week to my sisters. As I mentioned the cars came by and of course slow down as they spot a crazy man standing in 41 degree water, exhaling frost, slinging rope at rocks, but I was having big fun so I went about my business.

I worked my way around a small island on the back side that I never hit as I usually work the dirt farther up. I was down at the bottom of the island working to cross over and back on to rhe road when I spotted a red Pontiac pulled over, I kept buswhhacking pretending not to notice but I could hear the woman whispering "Hey Mister", finally on her third attempt to call out I looked up and responded "Yes Ma'am?" She said "There is a bear on the road!", My response of course "WHERE??", Her response "Right behind us!" as she pointed upstream towards my SUV, my response "Great he is probaly eating my lunch!" This is the second time in my last two trips I seem to flush them out, I have got to stop eating ham biscuits!

After securing my gear I loaded up and headed to the dirt section to check out the snow. (My leaving the immediate area had nothing to do with the bear! ). Bigsur, fears only ex-wives and their attorneys as anyone knows me can attest to. The farther I went the colder it got with all shade and no sunshine, I passed a few more anglers but not many.

You know this sign!

Stopped here and did my turnaround.

As I headed back out about 3:30 I could see they had opened Little River road going towards Gatlinburg so I headed up to see. there were quite a few downed trees next to the road with sawmarks I assumed they had just cut to open the road as I pulled into Metcalf. I walked down to the closed off sections and even there trees were laying on the on the road.

Metcalf

Now with the time change evening drops quick in the park as I ended the the day with the breakfast of champions...hmmm cheetos and bock with a side of cigar in the snow!. Fishing not so good but cabin fever cured at least for a few days! See ya at Flytyers weekend!

"It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    breakfast of champions...hmmm cheetos and bock
    I ended up leaving the stream not long after you. Had I known you were headed to Metcalf to enjoy this, I probably would have joined you!
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Thanks for the post and pics

Talking

If your not going to have any fish pics you could at least get us a picture of the bear or maybe the Tourist

Ex-wives and Attorneys do indeed sound much scarier than Bears. I mean a Bear might steal your meal, make you stop fishing, or shred your tent; but at least it can't take your house, your saving, and garnish future wages

See ya Saturday
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    If your not going to have any fish pics you could at least get us a picture of the bear or maybe the Tourist

Ex-wives and Attorneys do indeed sound much scarier than Bears. I mean a Bear might steal your meal, make you stop fishing, or shred your tent; but at least it can't take your house, your saving, and garnish future wages

See ya Saturday

Ducky becomes very agitated when I do not post pictures of fish, to keep him happy and at bay, here is Sunday's take in the snow!

And the fly I used!

See ya Saturday Ducky!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Thanks for the jollies.

I think I know that woman. She follows me around too.