After spending a good portion of October out of state, it was nice to be home. I'd managed to get most of my yard mowed and a good portion of my 'honey do's" completed through the week. When my wife asked what I was going to do this weekend, my answer was simple; "fish". I knew we had some ugly weather coming in. But, what's the worst thing that could happen; I have to fish in the rain, with no one else on the stream, and little traffic. Wrong.....

They closed the darn Park. The wet snow brought trees down across most of the major roads in the Park. I considered heading to the National Forest but figured the conditions would be the same there. I simply told my wife that I was going to stay home and tie flies. Sunday morning came around and we hit Midland Restaurant for some breakfast. I had been checking the Twitter posts for the Park and had noticed no roads were opening. While eating, my wife asked if I was going fishing. I told her the Park was still closed and this was going to be my fly tying weekend. Next weekend is going to be my "watching fly tying weekend".

After breakfast, I noticed they were starting to open some roads in the Park. I'd read Byron's report today and had seen where they had a large shipment of tying materials come in and were filling the shelves. I figured I'd throw my fishing stuff in the car and if the roads weren't open, at least I'd get first pick of the tying materials before everyone arrived from out of town. I picked up what I needed, shot the breeze with Daniel for awhile and headed into the park.

Fourth paragraph and I haven't even started fishing. This could have the highest word count of any post I've ever made. Well, I after leaving LRO and getting to the Y, only Laurel Creek Road was open, so I headed that way. Shortly afterwards, I hung a left and drove until I was well into the gravel. I didn't pass another fisherman the entire way. I fished for approximately 2.5 hours.

Fishing was tough but better than I expected. In short, I caught fish. It was good enough that I lost count, >4. But, not enough I couldn't make a pretty good guess to how many I actually caught, <10. I was rusty and having a hard time using my typical cold weather methods, nymphing. I'd left the house in a hurry and just threw my stuff in the car by the arm load and didn't bring any split shot. Although I tie almost all my nymphs with tungsten, they still didn't have as much weight as I felt I needed today. I started out trying to high stick but didn't have the touch to feel any strikes today. After that was a failure, I went to an indicator. There were times my indicator would twitch 2 sometimes 3 times before I even attempted to set the hook. More than once, it shot upstream a foot or more before I set. It took awhile before I started concentrating on just watching that bobber like nothing else existed. Once it came together it felt good.

Enjoy some of the picture from today.

I caught plenty of leaves. They didn't seem to care if I set the hook or not.

The sunny sections took the best pictures, but surprisingly, I caught all my fish in the shaded water. I'm not sure if I even got a hit in a sunny pool.

Always take a picture of your first fish. It might be your only one.

One of the better fish I caught.

I took a cheap, waterproof, point and shoot camera with me today. After looking back through these pictures, I doubt I take it with me again. These pictures just aren't as nice as I expected them to be.

I may work half a day on Tuesday, go vote, then try to hit the stream. I'll take a little better camera with me then and compare how they turn out.

I hope some others made it out today also.