Thread: Need Saltwater help (Marco Island in January)

Default Need Saltwater help (Marco Island in January)

I know zero about salt water fishing and less than zero about saltwater flyfishing. I often go to Marco Island in January, however, and this year I am determined to throw a fly at something. (Actually, now that I think about it, I caught a Pompano off the bank on my 5 weight Winston one year. Broke my rod, and I had no idea what the fish was so I threw it back. Turns out they are a very tasty fish.)

Anyway, I will have access to a boat. Can anyone suggest tactics or flies? Any help at all would greatly appreciated. If I get no help I will just sit at Snook’s eating Grouper and drinking beer….. Hey, wait a minute…

Thanks!
    Bob Campbell
    rit.edu
    800 miles North of the country's best wild trout fishing

Quote Originally Posted by adirondack46r View Post
    I know zero about salt water fishing and less than zero about saltwater flyfishing. I often go to Marco Island in January, however, and this year I am determined to throw a fly at something. (Actually, now that I think about it, I caught a Pompano off the bank on my 5 weight Winston one year. Broke my rod, and I had no idea what the fish was so I threw it back. Turns out they are a very tasty fish.)

Anyway, I will have access to a boat. Can anyone suggest tactics or flies? Any help at all would greatly appreciated. If I get no help I will just sit at Snook’s eating Grouper and drinking beer….. Hey, wait a minute…

Thanks!
    I visited Naples this year in June and put a lot of time and energy investigating how to catch Pompano in the surf. Two days in and I had caught countless hardhead catfish and several ladyfish. June isn't known for its Pompano fishing though. I tried unsuccessfully to locate and catch live sandfleas, aka Mole Crab - these are prime pompano food. I spent a ton of money on live shrimp the first day and used frozen shrimp and frozen sand fleas the next day - the trash fish ate them all. I was done with surf fishing after that.

I kicked myself for not bringing my fly gear, but ended up having a lot of success in the Clam Pass mangrove using a spinning rod with a "DOA Deadly Combo" - this consists of a popping cork and a 3" weighted rubber shrimp. The clear shrimp with gold fleck glitter was the most effective. I caught several very nice snook and one mangrove snapper with this setup.

I'd suggest researching the most productive mangroves near Marco and take your boat there. I understand dock areas can also be very good for Snook, Sea Trout, and sheepshead.

When I go back I'll be bringing my fly rod and tie up flies to resemble the best bait: sand fleas, shrimp, and mullet. I'd try to add a sound factor (glass rattle) to flies as the spinning popping cork is used to make sound and draw in fish.

In spinning gear these were highly recommended lures for Naples, they could be referenced to make a fly:
    Rubber Shrimp - DOA brand popular
    Jig with Shad tail - DOA CAL often mentioned
    "bucktail jig"/pompano jig - specific colors are used for specific fish per advice from Sunshine Ace Hardware
    Pink Banana Jig
    Got-Cha plug

Naples' Sunshine Ace Hardware was highly recommended as a resource both online sources and local. I visited and the selection was huge and there were 2 gentlemen working the department. This was in June which is the off season for Naples. It appears Sunshine is located in Marco as well.

Bob,

Let me know if you want to borrow my 9 weight saltwater outfit. It's got a floating bonefish line on it. You may want an intermediate line for the surf. I've also got a handful of clousers tied with saltwater hooks if needed/wanted. Stephanie and I talked about heading somewhere this winter ourselves, but we've been so busy, nothing has been planned.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Matt, Thanks for the info. Great stuff. Last time there we cruised around the mangroves (I think around the south end of the island) and saw fish that we think were sea trout. Not sure. I'll look for the Clam Pass Mangrove and check it out. My father-in-law will be fishing with spinning gear so that info will come in handy as well. Thanks for taking the time to provide it. Ironically the Pompano I caught was in a canal like area on the way out of Marco. Didn't think of surf casting. Might give that a try.

Buzz, Thanks for the 9wt offer. I have another 7 wt on the way from LRO. Should be here this week. I might be a little under gunned with it. Bought it for the bass and steelhead up here. By the way... 12 degrees this morning. Blowing and drifting snow. It's going to be a LONG winter. I'll touch base with you on the clousers. I could use some of that McManus mojo. We should be moving into the new place in early december and I'll actually have a mailing address.

Anybody else have recommendations on flies for that area/time of year?
    Bob Campbell
    rit.edu

Here is a shot of a fly we use on the Outer Banks where I go once or twice a year, a guy up north ties them for big stuff up North. They found out they work great for saltwater so he ties up a version for the fly shop in North Carolina. Lot of flash, big hook, shoot me an address to johnnyvail01@gmail.com

I 'll send you one to try, they only get taken out for a walk once or twice a year. If you lose no worries, if you catch something better take a picture or have one fine fine reason why not!

"It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

bigsur, Thanks for the offer. Would love to try one of those bad boys down on Marco. I sent you an email with the address.

Thanks!
    Bob Campbell
    rit.edu

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Here is a shot of a fly we use on the Outer Banks where I go once or twice a year, a guy up north ties them for big stuff up North. They found out they work great for saltwater so he ties up a version for the fly shop in North Carolina. Lot of flash, big hook, shoot me an address to johnnyvail01@gmail.com

I 'll send you one to try, they only get taken out for a walk once or twice a year. If you lose no worries, if you catch something better take a picture or have one fine fine reason why not!

I likie!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Despite strong winds and lots of boat traffic we caught these little bad boys all day long near the mangroves. I believe they are mangrove snapper. Scrappy little fish ranging from 6-12", at least the ones we caught. I still don't know much about salt water fly fishing but I know more than I did a week ago. 😊

Bob Campbell
    rit.edu