Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide License fees back on TWRA agenda

Default Guide License fees back on TWRA agenda

There was a lot of discussion of licensing fishing guides in the past. According to sources and the press releases, TWRA is now actively again /proposing a $244 fee for Tennessee resident guides and a $1,220 fee for non residents. As far as trout guides go l expect the largest opposition will come from the NC guys who wear out the upper east Tenn tailwaters on a daily basis. But that is also the area where the largest support for tailwater guides licensing originates.

Ky and/or the Corps has a $500 guide fee for guides on the Cumberland. The real issues will be what constitutes "guiding "in the definitions, and also how much actual enforcement is expected. Some folks who "take" folks fishing and claim they are "guiding " but may not charge the same fees of the pros like Bone, Rocky Cox or others might technically be in the definition.

May be a real learning experience for the enforcers and everybody who has a drift boat (or other boats and serve as instructors) .

If the money goes for better enforcement of limits regs on our tailwaters and streams that makes some sense for the fees for me. And l think the out of state guide fees are a good idea as the upper east Tenn area is flat run over by out of state guides on a daily basis. Also wonder what the GSMNP will do jurisdictionally in allowing TWRA to enforce guiding regulations within the Park for those who "guide" there. Could / should be interesting time if the fees become law.

Also the guide fees would apply to warm water fisheries. Expect a large amount of uproar here before this passes, as there are a lot more bass guides than trout guides.

Default supporting the move

I support the move to increase fees. I cannot think of one expense that has not increased in the past 10 years. Anyone who makes their living on the water should pay a fee. If guides average 120 days per year, that is about $2 per day increase. There are two additional changes I would suggest; any fisherman taking fish that are raised in hatcheries be required to purchase a stamp similar to the trout stamp I buy each year. Walleye, crappie, muskie, etc. if it was raised in a hatchery, you pay an extra charge. Second, I'm concerned with the decreasing numbers of young boys and girls fishing/hunting. A reduced license based on age may encourage them to get outside whereas a full cost may discourage them.
    I'm sure there will be loud voices against this increase but I for one support it.

Default Fish Stamps

Not to stir the pot....but cockeye valdez got me thinking.... Why isn't there a stamp for other hatchery supported fish? (not that I want more TN fishing licenses to explain to people about)

Daniel

It will never fly, again. That was the problem before, targeting trout guides, the warmwater guys will never go for it.

Grumpy

I'm concerned that TWRA is trying to push this through without public input. There are no "public comment" links or even suggestions or directions on how to comment. Also, the next commission meeting is scheduled to be held in Union City which is about as far away as you can get from where the majority of opposition will probably come from (in middle and east Tennessee).

I'm obviously opposed to the guide license and anyone interested in my reasons (beyond just not wanting to pay the money) is welcome to email me to discuss that off of this board. I would be marginally in favor of requiring guide licenses for out of state guides only. I am also strongly against license fee increases as our resident license (with trout stamp) is already more than a North Carolina non-resident license. Our non-resident license is already more expensive than Colorado's, Utah's, and Montana's, all of which have more and better trout fishing than we do. If these fees go up, it will cut down on tourism even further. Guess what western state I have not fished in? Wyoming (other than in Yellowstone National Park) because their license fees are prohibitively high. Now, if the goal is to cut down on the number of anglers, than a license fee increase makes sense. Selfishly, I don't mind this outcome at all, but in the long run cutting down on fishermen will have a detrimental effect and we will all suffer for it.

In addition, and this is the MOST IMPORTANT for out of state fishermen, TWRA is proposing eliminating the 1 day nonresident fishing license. The next best alternative under the proposal is a 3 day all species (if you want to fish a tailwater) which will run you $40.50. That's right, if you want to come fish one of our tailwaters for 1 day it will cost you $40.50. It will be $20.50 if you only want to fish in the Park for 1 day. It is already embarrassing to explain to customers how much a fishing license for 1 day is going to cost them.

Again, selfishly, I love the idea of paying a little more and seeing fewer people on the water to compete with. However, in the long run, it is bad for our sport.

If you are interested in this, please contact the Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission Members directly. You can find all of their names and contact information at http://www.tn.gov/twra/comnames.html.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default not just fishing

The license increases are not just for fishing, but they are increases in pretty much all licenses. TWRA is funded through the sales of licenses, not through a general fund from the state. This keeps wildlife management in the hands of biologists and not in the hands of politicians. I have no issue with the increases.

https://news.tn.gov/node/13340

http://www.tn.gov/twra/license_fee_i...posed_fees.pdf
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Out of all the states I have lived in twra is the worst ran and operated wildlife .management system I have ever seen. From their patrolling to their deer herd management to their trout program. They stink. I'd like to see some or most of their ideas move into the modern times. I will never be for giving them am extra dime of my money as long as they are operated as they currently are.

As a side note north Carolina increased their non resident permits already. Was going to fish the nantahala 2 months ago but for one day it was going to cost me 37.50. Yea, I went to Cherokee instead. Paid 12 bucks.

Why not a fee for those that have bass tournament who take over ramps on our lakes ! If you use any public waters for profit . Need to pay !

Quote Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
    Second, I'm concerned with the decreasing numbers of young boys and girls fishing/hunting. A reduced license based on age may encourage them to get outside whereas a full cost may discourage them.
    Last time I checked they were already doing this for ages 13-15. Are you talking about another level between the Jr and the adult? Like a 16 - 18 license?

I bought my son and daughter a Lifetime Sportsman License for their 2nd birthday's. Already one of the best investments I have ever made. That was all they got from my wife and I... Most kids will get $200 worth of toys at Christmas that they won't play with after 2 months.