Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide License fees back on TWRA agenda

Elkhaircaddis, do you fish out of a stealthcraft drift boat? I met a couple of guys this past summer on the french broad who had anchored on a shoal and were wading. If you see a a small red 12ft solo canoe or 14ft red v-hull jon on the FB, it is probably me. I live in Seymour, and the 7 islands access is just a few miles away.

I don't fish from a stealth craft, I have a canoe, kayak, long tail engine on a v bottom, and a camo center console prop boat. Can't miss me in the long tail, flag me down some day! I saw pics of your boat on one of the sub forums, that thing is top notch. I suppose you don't make a '67 boat look that good without some serious time and elbow grease

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    And I'm sure their data says the direct cause was one single fishing guide. Feel free to post a link to this research you speak of, electro fishing is not an accurate population sampling method on the French broad or Holston. Also don't hesitate to "shred" me, I can handle it.
    TVA's fisheries crews would be happy to share with you all of their data, pick up the phone and ask. The data supports what every long time user knows regarding the French Broad and Lower Holston Tailwaters, which is that the recent influx of tournaments and pressure increases on the resource have negatively affected the population of larger bass. Why do you think a very limiting slot was implemented?

I have done a lot of electro-fishing from boats and in small streams and when you are in the shock boat, the size of fish you catch are totally random. On a cloudy windy rainy day you get a decent amount of good sized bass. On a bright sunny day the big bass tend to suspend and the electricity never reaches them. The only way to get a TRULY accurate population sample size that can be used to estimate trends on the Holston and French broad would involve nets. In small streams you can block of 100 meters and do a three pass depletion which can be compared to previous years data and provide TRULY accurate population estimates. When you shock a big river or lake, the fish can just swim away
    The only true way to sample for almost 100% accuracy is with chemicals, and you couldn't be more incorrect with your statement regarding electrofishing methods.

I get it, you love the local "guide" who has recently started bass fishing. Nothing wrong with defending your friend, but there is literally no possible way to spin what he is doing as good for the resource. Nor, can any one spin heavy guiding pressure on our trout/bass waters as a positive and helpful to the recreational users.

Even if you remove the fact that fish mortality is possible at higher rates, introducing large numbers of new anglers to otherwise secluded and protected stretches of river has no benefit, period.

In case you missed it, or didn't know I spent 10 years guiding on the Clinch, Holston, and a host of smallmouth rivers. I fully understand the negative impacts I caused while pulling oars most every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    TVA's fisheries crews would be happy to share with you all of their data, pick up the phone and ask. The data supports what every long time user knows regarding the French Broad and Lower Holston Tailwaters, which is that the recent influx of tournaments and pressure increases on the resource have negatively affected the population of larger bass. Why do you think a very limiting slot was implemented?

The only true way to sample for almost 100% accuracy is with chemicals, and you couldn't be more incorrect with your statement regarding electrofishing methods.

I get it, you love the local "guide" who has recently started bass fishing. Nothing wrong with defending your friend, but there is literally no possible way to spin what he is doing as good for the resource. Nor, can any one spin heavy guiding pressure on our trout/bass waters as a positive and helpful to the recreational users.

Even if you remove the fact that fish mortality is possible at higher rates, introducing large numbers of new anglers to otherwise secluded and protected stretches of river has no benefit, period.

In case you missed it, or didn't know I spent 10 years guiding on the Clinch, Holston, and a host of smallmouth rivers. I fully understand the negative impacts I caused while pulling oars most every day of the week.
    Yea I've heard tale. But you also may have missed that I have a degree in fisheries management. Didn't want to brag about that but I'm not the idiot that you think I am. Electro fishing is merely pulling a small sample of fish from much more massive sample size (unless you are on a tiny creek). The fish can hide from the electricity in deep water, anyone who has used it can tell you. As far as my "love" for a local guide, I love everybody, even your contradictory, pot stirring, guide bashing self. You should try it sometime, it will make you happier

In fact I bet the only reason I have ever even landed a smallmouth bass is because you did us all a favor by quitting guiding. Thanks from us all. I'm sure you would have caught (or put clients on) every single smallie in the state and they would all have died from photograph trauma resulting in the ultimate demise of the entire species

Just my two cents. I thought everyone knew electro shocking in lakes and large rivers is not a way to determine fish population.... I thought it was simply used to look at age classes of fish and general health conditions of the fish species... its common sense really

Default people

I can only speak for my boat but we always take care of our fish and keep it in the net and in the water until we get a picture followed by a safe release. I know we try to fish different areas throughout the season so we don't over fish, but fishing the same stretch multiple days in a row is unproductive anyway.

I love fishing for smallies myself and have had discussions with the head of fisheries from TWRA and he tells me that the fisheries are doing well. Every smallmouth stream and lake in East TN has a slot limit on this species which is why they produce so many nice fish. What good is a fishery if nobody uses it.

The only dead fish we noticed from the past couple of years had soft plastics in their throats and there were few at that. I've been fishing for smallies since I was about 10 and haven't seen much change in the quality of fisheries since then other than they're more taken care of. I will say that our waters are a blessing and produce some healthy, aggressive fish.

Gary, I've met the guy with the stealth craft and he is a nice guy. I like the looks of those boats. Give me a call sometime and we'll get together and fish or tie some.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Pfeiffer View Post
    I can only speak for my boat but we always take care of our fish and keep it in the net and in the water until we get a picture followed by a safe release. I know we try to fish different areas throughout the season so we don't over fish, but fishing the same stretch multiple days in a row is unproductive anyway.

I love fishing for smallies myself and have had discussions with the head of fisheries from TWRA and he tells me that the fisheries are doing well. Every smallmouth stream and lake in East TN has a slot limit on this species which is why they produce so many nice fish. What good is a fishery if nobody uses it.

The only dead fish we noticed from the past couple of years had soft plastics in their throats and there were few at that. I've been fishing for smallies since I was about 10 and haven't seen much change in the quality of fisheries since then other than they're more taken care of. I will say that our waters are a blessing and produce some healthy, aggressive fish.

Gary, I've met the guy with the stealth craft and he is a nice guy. I like the looks of those boats. Give me a call sometime and we'll get together and fish or tie some.

Josh, Quality post with class! That is how you promote stewardship! Keep on doing what you do with this level of class and you will always find great joy and stand with great pride! Much Respect!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Talking

Yea I've heard tale. But you also may have missed that I have a degree in fisheries management. Didn't want to brag about that but I'm not the idiot that you think I am. Electro fishing is merely pulling a small sample of fish from much more massive sample size (unless you are on a tiny creek). The fish can hide from the electricity in deep water, anyone who has used it can tell you. As far as my "love" for a local guide, I love everybody, even your contradictory, pot stirring, guide bashing self. You should try it sometime, it will make you happier
    Elkhaircaddis, do you mind outing your self and saying who you are? You post a lot and I'm curious?

And a HEATED post without the need for a moderator to delete anthing
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

I have been fishing with guides for over 50 years. My father hired guides so I could enjoy new fishing experiences and learn more about our sport when I was young. Fly fishing guides have been an important part of my fly fishing life, making days on the water more enjoyable. I believe guides are essential to promoting our sport and creating new stewards who help us protect our resource. Without fishermen, who would do it? Like Shawn said, “That is how you promote stewardship”.

I have fished with Josh Pfeiffer several times, floating the Holston and French Broad rivers. We floated 2 or 3 times last year. I send customers to him so he can help them enjoy smallmouth bass fishing with a fly rod. I have learned more from Josh about smallmouth fishing, than any from any other person or anything I have read.

I can tell your for certain, he does not allow his clients, nor does he do anything that is harmful to the bass other than catching them on a fly. He always practices catch and release. I also know he floats different areas on different days.

We help promote the guide business on our website and through our store, though we are not in the guiding business. These guys are all friends who have helped LRO in many ways over the years and they are people we have personally fished with. We are comfortable and confident, sending them clients. Josh is one of those guides. We don’t take a cut or receive any direct compensation for doing this. We think it is good for our sport and our fisheries.

Byron