Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Guide License fees back on TWRA agenda

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Elkhaircaddis, do you mind outing your self and saying who you are? You post a lot and I'm curious?

And a HEATED post without the need for a moderator to delete anthing
    I am Russell Woods, I live in Rockford hopefully moving to south Knoxville soon

Default We need a like button

I like Byron,s comment , Josh is a great young man have fished with him before he started guiding but haven't fished with him as a guide our schedule just haven't worked out, but I have respect for him . I happen to know and have fished with several guides around the area and have enjoyed fishing with all of them.

P S but our guides in upper East Tennessee tailwaters need out of state Guide License imposed. Way to much pressure on those rivers.

The guide license won't really change anything. Any serious guide will pay the fee, even though it is pretty outrageous. I would gladly pay twice what a resident pays but 4-5 times is excessive. I guide about 175 days on the S. Holston and Watauga every year and have for a long time. I live 12 miles from the state line on I-26. That makes me a whole lot more local to those rivers than someone in knoxville. Just something to think about.

The captains license is technically required to take passengers on watercraft for hire. Not many guides actually get that but they can easily afford the new fee. It won't make any difference on fishing pressure. Southernguide, people around here look down on your practices but i would guess it is rooted in jealousy. Keep on keeping on

I was just trying to help define the term "local". Because I live 12 miles from a dotted line on a map, I'm required to pay 1220 dollars to guide the places I've guided for 13 years. I'm actually more pissed about them discontinuing the 1 day non/res. That is the dumbest thing ever. A lot of people are here to fish for one day. It is the nature of the guided fishing business in the southeast. In Montana, people go there to fish for a week. Here, fishing seems to be a by-product of being here, and a lot of people book one day. Since they killed the one day lic., it will cost two guys 80 dollars in lic. fees to fish for one day, since now they both have to purchase 3 day fishing licenses for 40 dollars apiece. Just another example of people in positions of power without knowledge making decisions. I have worked in e. tenn. for 13 years and I care just as much about the fisheries there as any resident of tenn. I have a good relationship with all the guides that live and work on the S. Holston and Watauga rivers. I respect all the tenn. guides that work these rivers and they all respect me. The perception of "North Carolina Guides" seems a little skewed. By the way, I bet Byron sells a buttload of one day licenses.
    Last edited by southernguide; 01-26-2015 at 12:14 AM.

Yes now people wanting to fish the gsmnp for a day or two will just buy North Carolina licenses

You guys are both correct. We sell a lot of one-day fishing licenses. And, we can't help but tell customers about the North Carolina license as an option, to fish in the Park. It's our job. They can buy one on their phone.

I can't believe that license is going away. It seems contrary to the goal of creating more fishing participation. I don't understand the theory behind the decision. Nobody asked me what I thought about that one.

When we heard about the idea, all of us in the shop looked at each other and said, "What are they thinking"? That should be rescinded at the next Commission meeting.

Byron

I may be wrong...however I'm pretty sure captains license s are only needed on navigable waterways...which I think only meets the criteria here in TN if it has red and green buoys.... as far as I know no captain lic would be required to float a lot of our tail waters....I'd love for someone with a captain lic to clarify this tho...

Well technically any water can be considered navigable by definition, it just depends on how bad they want to stick it to ya. Rocky may shed some light, he's a cap'n