Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide License fees back on TWRA agenda

Shawn
    I agree with the signage, when we got the regs changed on the Caney, TU & our two local FF'n clubs pitched in & had signs made & installed at all major access spot's, just about everyone of them was stolen
    I'm beginning to think that a fishing license should go the way of a hunting license, if you were born after 1969, you have to take a test or be required to read, slot & creel limit's before you're issued a license.
    We have to many Nationalities claiming NO ABLA & to many Bubba's claiming they didn't know the regs.
    I know that is far fetched, i'm tired of seeing it & hearing about it on our waterways, whether warm or cold water.
    Bottom line, we need more enforcement, education, other agencies to take their fingers out of the pot etc....

Grumpy

I think what you have read in the foregoing posts pretty well sums up the issues TWRA will face in trying to implement the increase. Everybody can state pet peeve or list of peeves about how bad TWRA has performed on the trout resources. l have said some of the same things myself. However, this issue should not be a shotgunning of TWRA; rather l think it should discuss whether the public fisheries have become so crowded with guides (and would be guides) that some regulation is needed. I say yes. Regulate them. Particularly the out of state ones.

(This is off topic for guide regulation, but For those of you who fish the Clinch , l would simply say there is a new sheriff in town on that river. This summer, For the first time in fifty plus years of fishing the Clinch l was checked for license, fish, car and boat searches etc. Not just once multiple times. Others who fish the river a lot have experienced the same checks. l say hooray for TWRA officer Joel Hyden, who is the officer doing the checking. I asked him how may slot violation cases he had made over the summer and l think it was some number in the mid 20s. Those who fish the river a lot know "we" could make a slot case an hour out there , BUT this l expect is the most TWRA slot cases actually made on the river in years, if not most ever. The current TWRA staff is very very thinly spread, and we are lucky to have an officer around the Clinch like Hyden who appears to have totally invested in the potential of the Clinch slot program and is working at seeing that the slot has a chance to produce and maintain trophy fish results.)

Default Thanks Joe

Well said Joe, well said. Not said nearly enough.
    c.v.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Shawn
    We have to many Nationalities claiming NO ABLA & to many Bubba's claiming they didn't know the regs.
    I know that is far fetched, i'm tired of seeing it & hearing about it on our waterways, whether warm or cold water.

Grumpy
    To me; this should be a flat fee type of ticket, if it is their first ticket(within a certain time-frame 5 years) would be a good starter. If the person ticketed decides to contest it; then, it should be increased if found guilty and reasoned negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
    .....I say yes. Regulate them. Particularly the out of state ones.

(This is off topic for guide regulation, but For those of you who fish the Clinch , l would simply say there is a new sheriff in town on that river. This summer, For the first time in fifty plus years of fishing the Clinch l was checked for license, fish, car and boat searches etc. Not just once multiple times. Others who fish the river a lot have experienced the same checks. l say hooray for TWRA officer Joel Hyden, who is the officer doing the checking. I asked him how may slot violation cases he had made over the summer and l think it was some number in the mid 20s. Those who fish the river a lot know "we" could make a slot case an hour out there , BUT this l expect is the most TWRA slot cases actually made on the river in years, if not most ever. The current TWRA staff is very very thinly spread, and we are lucky to have an officer around the Clinch like Hyden who appears to have totally invested in the potential of the Clinch slot program and is working at seeing that the slot has a chance to produce and maintain trophy fish results.)
    I have been pleased with Officer Hyden's efforts on the Clinch over the past 2 years. He has been thorough and dedicated in making a presence around the Clinch River. Being active is a a big part of deterrence for the fishmongers.

I wish he would start ticketing a habitual group of good old boy hillbillies who keep parking 2-3 deep on PO Boat Ramp and act like it is their right to do so.... There are many people that have a very hard time backing trailers. Having a tighter lane with vehicles on one side will cause a blow-up one day that could escalate in to criminal/legal issues. I was at the ramp when a fella in a drift boat exclaimed out loud about these vehicles parked on the ramp and one of the
    good old boy hillbillies said he would blow a hole through that boat if he had his 45. There are some shady areas between ramp/access and water as far as jurisdiction. The AC Police will argue not to come out to a ramp if you have any trouble. Try them and see....
    Last edited by MadisonBoats; 12-18-2014 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Phone no good for typing, PC good for typing
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Don't you love it when people park a car with no trailer on a boat ramp? Drives me crazy. I guess they have to be within 5 ft of their truck to be comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Don't you love it when people park a car with no trailer on a boat ramp? Drives me crazy. I guess they have to be within 5 ft of their truck to be comfortable
    I've spent many hours waiting in line at the Powerhouse Ramp on the Hiwassee. 1000 yahoos running around with no clue what they were doing and sometimes no clue where the river was, and in all forms of watercraft. Raft guides who had lost control of their crew and bus drivers who couldn't drive.

I guess I've grown fairly patient at ramps over the years.

I've never had a problem on the Clinch even when folks are parked down the ramp. I will say that the people parked there have moved for me without me asking and have asked me if I needed them to move. No problems at all. I usually ask them how their fishing is and they reply and it's friendly and over in minutes. I'm on my way and they're back to their rods. With that said, I too don't like it when they park on the ramps in a way that diminishes the ramps purpose. I don't mind them fishing there as long as they understand it's a boat ramp.

OK. Back on subject....well, one of the sub subjects anyway. I too have noticed an increased patrol on several of the area rivers this year. My boat has been searched and inspected 3 times. So I know many others are being checked as well. It's nice to know they are out there working.

I've seen first hand how well the poaching hotline works and whether you believe it or not....it does help and they do care. I know it's easy to get down on TWRA when you never see them or when they make management decisions that make no sense.....but they are trying and an increase in funding can only help. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
    My boat has been searched and inspected 3 times. So I know many others are being checked as well. It's nice to know they are out there working.
    I agree that it is nice to know they are out there working, but aren't they supposed to have some reason to search someone's boat? Knowing you to be the great guide and person you are, I know you aren't going to have anything sketchy going on out of your boat. It seems a little strange that they just randomly search boats for fun...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Posted a LOT more of my thoughts over on my blog. Again, as I said before, I'm very concerned that they are trying to do this without any public input. There are no "public comment" links or even suggestions or directions on how to comment. Also, the next commission meeting is scheduled to be held in Union City which is about as far away as you can get from where the majority of opposition will probably come from (in middle and east Tennessee). To read more of my thoughts, check out my blog.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    Posted a LOT more of my thoughts over on my blog. Again, as I said before, I'm very concerned that they are trying to do this without any public input. There are no "public comment" links or even suggestions or directions on how to comment. Also, the next commission meeting is scheduled to be held in Union City which is about as far away as you can get from where the majority of opposition will probably come from (in middle and east Tennessee). To read more of my thoughts, check out my blog.
    David,
    Fabulous post on your blog! Very well written and supported! I shared it on my CR-FB Page...

I concur with most of your talking points, especially this one:

TWRA supposedly needs funding and a lot of it. Okay, I buy that. I know from my own observations that they are understaffed as it can be really tough to find a wildlife officer when you need one. They are simply stretched too thin and increased funding should theoretically solve that. Unfortunately, by increasing license fees, they will ultimately sell fewer licenses and thus may not obtain much additional funding. A much better alternative would be for the Tennessee state legislature to pass legislation that enables TWRA to keep the majority of ticket money from enforcement actions. That would both encourage officers to get out there and enforce the rules and simultaneously improve fishing (and hunting) by making sure everyone plays by the rules that are in place.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Searched may have been a little misleading. Boating in Tennessee requires the boat operator to equipt their boats with certain items and these inspections were to make sure these items were on board.I was checked two days in a row. Each time there were other boats around who were also checked. Several of them got tickets.

I too read your blog David and it appears your adamant about not paying an extra nickel for anything. Your assessment of the license costs out west are a little skewed though. Seeing how most of those states have about a 6 month window when trout fishing is feasable. So those license cost cover you for about half the year. Seeing how Tennessee is year round, our license are actually cheaper per available days than most of the ones you mentioned.

I'm going to guess that the union city meeting will be attended by many warm water guides since that is the majority of whom will be effected. Lots of warm water guides out that way.

I truly believe that a few cents or dollars out of every trip a guide does will go a long way to improving our rivers and streams and yes.....it will limit the number of weekend warrior wannabes. BUT if your only working a few trips a month......you should find a new profession anyway.

Times keep changing and costs of doing business always increase, even if you're TWRA. They have to be funded to do their jobs but it sounds like you could care less what they have to operate on or if they just dry up and go away. Which, would likely put our outdoor recreation in control of the state legislators for them to regulate and milk any money they can out of.