Thread: January Brookies 01/01/15

Default January Brookies 01/01/15

I wanted to fish new years day but with the flow not great on the hiwassee I settled for the Tellico. Hoping for it to warm up a bit I didn't leave early and got up there around 9:30. I picked a sunny stretch and rigged up with two heavy nymphs. After a little while a kayaker came by and told there were a bunch more kayakers coming. So I decided to move up closer to North River. I stuck with the nymphs for a little longer but then switched to a wooly bugger. By 11:45 I hadn't had any luck. It had warmed up to around forty and the winter stoneflies were hatching. I had my three weight in my truck just in case I wanted to go try and catch my first January brookie. With nothing happening on the tellico I decided what the heck why not try. So I quickly ate lunch and drove up to the trail head. I took a couple layers off hoping not to burn up hiking in waders. Then I headed down the trail. About forty minutes later I made it the creek. I rigged up with a soft hackle pheasant tail and started fishing. As expected the water was frigid and fishing was slow.

I crept up to a pool where I have caught fish in the past. I saw a fish dart off but cast anyway and this little guy came over and ate my soft hackle.

I continued upstream bouncing nymphs along the bottom. I came up on another nice looking pool. There were two fish in the shallows but my cast spooked them. Further up in the pool there was a deep slow section. I cast up in it and let my nymphs sink to the bottom and crawled them along. I lost a fish right off. Then I hooked a nicer fish but lost him at my feet. He was a really colorful fish around 7''. I kept getting strikes and ending up catching 4 out of this pool. Including this one:

I only caught one more after that. While I was fishing the last pool of the day a hunting dog came up behind me and scared me when it barked. He then followed my all the way back up the trail to his owner. All in all a good day to start off the year. I've never done very well fly fishing the main tellico. Any advice?

Don't have any advice about fishing the Telllico. But, I was out on January 2nd and fished my favorite Wisconsin spring pond (season opens on Jan. 1st) and caught some small brook trout.
    Good to see that you were able to get out. Hopefully someone will chime in with some advice about fishing the Tellico.
    Thanks for sharing.

Talking

Thanks for the report.

What a great way to start out the year

And I'm sure you had the stream ALL to yourself
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Thanks for the report.

What a great way to start out the year

And I'm sure you had the stream ALL to yourself
    I fished tellico also yeaterday. It was slow for me. Caught like 10 on the main river. Caught a couple nice wild rainbows and one brown. The rest were stockers.
    [/IMG]

I caught a most on a sz 16 black stonefly nymph. I moved downstream later into the kayak territory and had no luck nymphing. Started throwing wooley buggers and started catching and getting hits. Rigged up 2 micro buggers and caught 4 right before dark and missed that many more.

I had good luck on the DH earlier fishing rubber legged nymphs. But yesterday was the first time I've been in a month. I did better back in December and late November when we had that cold spell.

Nice looking trout, thanks for the pics