Thread: How better to play hooky than by going fishing?

Default How better to play hooky than by going fishing?

Last Wednesday I was at work griping about finally having a weekend off coming up, but the weather forecast didn't look good for getting out on a stream. To make things worse, I should have been off for MLK day (which would have been a beautiful day for fishing) but had to work. And the weather was still excellent for a day on the stream, but there I sat, once again stuck at work.

After listening to me gripe for a while, one of my coworkers said, "Hey, why don't you take off the rest of the day and go fishing?" I thought about that for a grand total of about two seconds, realized I didn't have any meetings that afternoon or any other pressing obligations, and decided that wasn't a bad idea. I let my boss know I was taking a Mental Health Break for the rest of the day and hit the road. A quick stop by the house to change clothes and grab my gear, and I was headed for the mountains.

Decided to hit the Tellico since it was a bit closer than the Smokies and it has some nice, deep holes that should hold fish this time of year. After parking at the picnic area by the hatchery, I walked a ways downstream and started fishing my way back up. I hit all the likely looking spots, dredging heavily weighted nymphs on the bottom, but didn't get so much as a sniff. Didn't see any fish either, and you can usually spot some of the bigger ones pretty easily through that section.

Anyway, after a couple of hours of futility (but gorgeous weather!), and a butt-busting fall down a mud-slick embankment (if a man busts his butt on a mud-covered rock and there's no one there to see it, does it still leave a bruise? You betcha!), I finally killed the skunk with a nice 9" wild rainbow a little way upstream from the Sycamore Creek confluence. At that point I decided I had enjoyed about as much of that as I could stand for one afternoon, packed it in, and headed home. But in a MUCH better frame of mind than I had started the day with. It's amazing how well a sunny afternoon on a mountain stream can boost a person's spirit, even in the dead of winter.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Thanks for the report, good to meet ya at the meeting at calhouns the other night, me and my girlfriend were sitting next to you

It was indeed good to chat with you at the TU meeting Thursday. I hadn't connected you to your username here at the time, but after reading your posts in some of the other threads since then I was pretty sure that was you. It's always nice to put a face to a name.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Next time you make it "east" let's catch some fish