Thread: Twice in one week? Oh, yeah!

Default Twice in one week? Oh, yeah!

Unlike a lot of you guys here on the forum, I don't often get to go fishing multiple times in the same week without taking vacation days from work. But after making a midweek trip to the Tellico, I was still keeping an eye on the weather and river gauges hoping to squeeze in another trip over the weekend. As it turned out we didn't get as much rain and/or snow as was predicted Friday night and Saturday morning so the creeks weren't blown out, and it looked like there would be a nice window of opportunity before the next front moved in Sunday evening.

I had met fellow poster Kris at BigSur's New Year's Day cookout at the park and we had talked about hitting a stream together sometime, so I gave him a shout to see if he was up for it, and he was. After discussing our options a bit, we decided to hit a nice little brookie stream that Kris had never been to and see if they were feeling hungry.

After gearing up and hiking in, we were ready to get down to business. Here's a shot of Kris hitting one of the nice plunge pools on this stream.

And here's a shot of Kris's first Smoky Mountain spec.

And of course, the obligatory shot of my first fish of the day.

We fished a total of about 3 hours and caught 4 brookies each. The biggest one was about 8" to 8-1/2", but most were in the 4" - 6" range. Not too big, but very nicely colored.

So, I managed to get in two trips in the same week, catch a few specs, and introduce a new fishing partner to a new-to-him stream. All in all, not too shabby.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Getting out more than once a week is doing pretty well this time of the year. Glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the trip with us!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Nice report! Glad you got someone into their first spec.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Talking

Good job Stan! Great reminder to get out there and make the best of Winter
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

"I had met fellow poster Kris at BigSur's New Year's Day cookout at the park and we had talked about hitting a stream together sometime, so I gave him a shout to see if he was up for it, and he was. After discussing our options a bit, we decided to hit a nice little brookie stream that Kris had never been to and see if they were feeling hungry."

Stan,Kris
    This is the perfect example of New Year's Day Karma, at work! Look at Kris so far this month, on New Year's Day he won the grand prize of wearing Herb's Welding Shop hat and a 6 pack of Vienna sausage from the good folks at Armour, and 3 weeks later gets his first spec!

Stan, please drive Kris to get a lottery ticket today, the money is up to 251 million for tomorrow night's drawing I think. I will forward an address to where Kris can mail me my cut!

Good job guys and thanks for the report!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."