Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gps app? Maybe?

Question Gps app? Maybe?

We are planning on being in Wears valley around the end of July. So naturally I'm deep in planning stages of fishing everywhere all at once. LOL. My wife however is a worry wart and was wondering if there was an app that will show my location in the backcountry? We've got IPhones and she thought she had read about an app that would show our locations on each other's phones? But would such a thing work in the backcountry? It would be an awesome safety device if something was to happen. I was hoping some one here would know.

Thanks in advance,
    hNt

PS I have a smart phone but it has a dumb owner. So I need all the help I can get

Talking

I can't think of anything that would work easily. Maybe some of the more complex gps programs may have message options like a Spot, but you are probably going to have to pay a yearly subscription for that.

Just explain to her that it much more dangerous (your wallet/ her safety)for her to be driving around Gatlinburg

Your iphone will be out of cell range most of the time and even when I get a signal it doesn't work a lot. Nathan would climb to top of nearest ridge and text me for updated weather forecast when he was out in the snow last Spring.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

I really like this plan actually. Now I just need to figure out how to slip a GPS in duckypaddler's backpack next time he heads for a blue line... Sorry I don't have any actually useful info on this...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Here is a link to something I found in the past. (see: link below-disclosure- I am not endorsing or reccomending this company). This is just a place I found on the internet interstate, have no knowledge of the company or history. There is about halfway down that page information on staying connected to family, may be what you are looking for. It makes a reference to SPOT that Ducky mentions above; evidently they have something called INREACH, looks like they use SPOT2 also, good luck on your planning!

COMPANY LINK

https://www.lowergear.com/product.php/cat/27

SPECIFIC LINK TO THEIR RENTAL UNIT

https://www.lowergear.com/product.php?id=510- looks like $89 a week and you buy bytes 1000 for $5- average custom message 80 bytes-read for details

See more photos
    Watch video on renting the InReach-
    I liked this video on difference and pros/cons between a SPOT OR INREACH- which I knew nothing about!

InReach User Manual InReach SE DeLorme 2-way Satellite Communicator / Rescue Device
    Last edited by bigsur; 01-28-2015 at 03:18 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

When you say backcountry, what are you referring to? Off trail stuff, or just fishing in a stream that is accessed from a trail even a couple miles in? Overnight or daytrips? If day trips, just leave her a detailed map of where you will be headed and let her know a time you will be out. Stick to that time. DO NOT BE LATE if you wish to continue fishing in the park. Keep a simple first aid kit on you and you will be fine.

You probably won't have cell service in the Park.

I have an older SPOT that I would carry on western backcountry hunts. There annual fee kept going up and I realized that I could rent a satellite phone for a similar price for the few times I would actually use it. If you don't make any calls, a weekly rental is just $100. Calls are usually around $1.50 a minute, but I have never made any calls. I rent from Mobal.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I found my Smart Phone was useless in the Smokys, there was no phone reception, no
    4g, let alone GPS.

I forked over a bit of money for a real GPS from Garmin. Well worth every cent I paid. There are a few from like 199 and up I think, but worth having if your going in deep to say. If you hunt or fish they are great for finding your way to and from a secret spot or just the same old fishing hole.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/digital...prod63801.html

The 24k maps are great but are $99 each.

Thats a great idea with the map buzz. That's probably what I'll do. I'm really planning on sam's creek. I would love to get into those brookies!

hNt

We won't be able to answer all the questions, but Ducky Paddler and I are presenting "Bluelining Off The Wireless Grid" at Wilderness Wildlife Week at the LeConte Center in Pigeon Forge, Sat. Jan 31 at 4 pm, Rm South 2. Please join us.

http://www.mypigeonforge.com/events/...wildlife-week/

– JF
    “Joe” Fred Turner

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Thats a great idea with the map buzz. That's probably what I'll do. I'm really planning on sam's creek. I would love to get into those brookies!

hNt
    I use Avenza PDF map on my iphone. You can download all the USGS quads for free to it. It has worked well using the Iphones onboard GPS everywhere I have tried to use in the park (regardless of if I have any cellular service)

On another note - I have sprint I get service on sam's creek after the second crossing and on up. Usually not great service, but enough to get a text message out. Most places in the park, I do not, but I get coverage deeper into the park than I ever did with ATT. Which can be useful when you are deep on forney creek in march and the weather forecast is changing hourly and you have someone like Ducky to send you all the updates

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
    We won't be able to answer all the questions, but Ducky Paddler and I are presenting "Bluelining Off The Wireless Grid" at Wilderness Wildlife Week at the LeConte Center in Pigeon Forge, Sat. Jan 31 at 4 pm, Rm South 2. Please join us.

http://www.mypigeonforge.com/events/...wildlife-week/

– JF
    Would really enjoy this event..would be very useful! JF makes some wonderful map products...they are top notch!...I am not taking anything away from JF's maps as I write this...If i could get JF's maps on my phone in the following app, it would be grand...I use an app called GAIA GPS on my iPhone. All modern cellular enabled devices also have a GPS chip. The GPS does not require a cellular connection to function. In fact, when I use it on backcountry trips I lock the SIM so it does not consume the battery searching for a cell tower. Used it last summer for three days in the park with 44% battery left when I got back to the truck (turned it off at night of course!!). Airplane mode cannot be enabled as this does disable the GPS chip as well!

There are numerous maps that one can download to the device(must download the section of the map in order to have an IDEA where you are!) Without the map locally on your device it only shows your location on the screen. There is an OpenHiking map that one can download particular sections as desired. I have the GSMNP section on my iPhone and the map has all the trails and campsites marked on a topo map...very useful for trip planning ahead of time and recording a track with waypoints for get in and get out points as you fish or hike.

Its available on the App Store and Google Play for $20...way cheaper than a GPS and intuitive just like your phone. I had a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx tha I sold. It was a great GPS but very non-intuitive for the user interface. I could spend more time flipping screens on the Garmin than i could hiking or fishing. Ease of use has to be in your feature set IMO.