Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hiwassee River is Fishing Well

Default The Hiwassee River is Fishing Well

Last week, I made it to the Hiwassee not once but twice! The first day was the best for overall fish catching action but that could have something to do with the fact that it was in the 50s on the first day and low 40s on the second day. The wind was brutal on the second day I fished it as well which made it tough to keep my flies and line under control. Still, I caught some nice fish both days!

The winter little black stoneflies are coming on strong on warmer days with good sunlight and even a few were still trickling off on the chilly day as well. The fish respond accordingly. If you catch sight of one of the little stoneflies skittering across the surface, keep a close eye on it! A fish will probably hammer it at any moment.

My rig consisted of a 9' 5 weight rod, a 9 foot 5x leader ending at a #14 Parachute Adams with a bead head caddis pupa dropped 18 inches underneath. The fish showed a distinct preference for the pupa pattern.

There are better numbers of brown trout in the river than I remember including a lot of fingerlings that were undoubtedly stocked last fall. The delayed harvest regulations currently in effect means that the fish are mostly staying in the river for the time being which is great if you ask me.

Here are a few pictures from my time on the water! Oh, and yes, that is a brook trout. I caught 2 on my second day on the water. First time I've caught them on the Hiwassee so I take it they are stocking them regularly now.

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Great photos, I caught a brook last time I fished there also

I was surprised at how nice the brookie was in length but it was a pretty skinny fish. I wonder how long before it becomes brown trout or striper bait...?
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

The Trout Zone Blog

It is fishing very well. I was there this past weekend and caught some great fish, browns and bows, no brookies. Hatches of winter stones, BWO's and midges with very little pressure from others on the river, I was surprised at that. I did see the Game Warden catch a couple of guys chucking corn and killing fish. When he approached me for my licence, I inquired about the two guys and he told me that he issued a citation to each. I asked what would the financial ramification be, he said about $500 each. YIKES!
    God gave fishermen expectantcy so they would never tire of throwing out a line.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman01 View Post
    It is fishing very well. I was there this past weekend and caught some great fish, browns and bows, no brookies. Hatches of winter stones, BWO's and midges with very little pressure from others on the river, I was surprised at that. I did see the Game Warden catch a couple of guys chucking corn and killing fish. When he approached me for my licence, I inquired about the two guys and he told me that he issued a citation to each. I asked what would the financial ramification be, he said about $500 each. YIKES!
    Now that is some great news! I'm always glad to hear about a presence by enforcement officers and it is even better when they nab offenders.

The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by flyman01 View Post
    Excellent! One would think $500 would be enough incentive to not do that, but I am shocked at how many idiots there are out there who do this sort of stuff... Glad both of you had a good day. To me the Hiwassee is as much about the scenery as the fish as well. Been a few years since I have been down, need to return soon. Thanks for the report David.

Default Yep

It is fishing well. I made it down yesterday to fish for my birthday. I always take the day off and spend it outdoors, usually fishing. I don't even have the decency to call and tell the office I'm not coming in.

I didn't see any stone flies or fishing rising, so I started the day with a 16 bhpt under and indicator. I soon had multiple occasions where fish studied my wool indicator then take it anyways. It looked nothing like any insect I've ever seen. I soon switched to an EHC with the bhpt under it. I caught all rainbows and browns. After the sun came out, there were some small hatches of winter stones and I'm pretty sure there were quite a few caddis flies coming out. I'm no expert at bugs. All in all, a good way to celebrate 44 years on this planet.

My posts are worthless without pictures

Awesome report and pictures Buzz! Did you happen to see any shad coming through the turbines?

The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    Awesome report and pictures Buzz! Did you happen to see any shad coming through the turbines?
    Thanks. I waded through the grass just below the swinging bridge looking for them. I saw 2. I remember being down there when you would step on a dozen with every step. Not sure if I missed the shad kill this year, or if it didn't happen like in years past.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Reports were that the shad kill took place about 4 weeks ago. I was there the week before and then the week after I read that it was on. although I saw very little in the way of shad coming through the turbines. I did see an occasional Crow swoop down on the water and fly off with one, but other than that, did not really witness much happening. This past weekend when I was on the river, we had sporadic hatches of winter stones and some BWO's, we were able to catch some on dries but most of the fish I picked up were on a size 22 zebra midge under a size 16 BHPT. When they would pulse the water, I immediately would switch over to a woolly bugger as the big boys come out from hiding and start actively feeding. I did get one brown over 20" to hand, girth was such that I could not get my hand around him. I did not have a net with me, so I tried to scoop him to lift for a picture, with one more thrash as I was lifting, he came out of my grip, snapped my line and the photo opportunity was gone; very disappointing. I did get some other nice fish, 12-15 inch range and one that was right at 18". Here are some pics of my trip, the last one is my best friend who loves to get on the river with me when the water is off.

God gave fishermen expectantcy so they would never tire of throwing out a line.