Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New idea: Dan's Tuesday Topic

Default New idea: Dan's Tuesday Topic

This very well may be my first post on this board, but I have followed it for a long time. I love all the info, stories, and occasional bantering that gets passed around on this board. That being said, Daniel Drake and I have been talking and we are going to try something to keep new topics rolling on this board (especially when its cold out and everyone is starting to get excited about Spring). We are calling it Dan's Tuesday Topic. Every Tuesday (hold me to it), I will introduce a new topic that has at least a trace-able link to fly fishing. We realize that new topics get introduced here every day, and that you also have a report to read every day from Byron, but this will be something that everyone can weigh in on.
    It might be a gear review (of which I will place in the correct forum; again, hold me to it), it might be a fishing report, it might be a contest to see which dry fly floatant works best in any given situation, or an interesting article that I have dug up. I have the advantage of working at a fly shop where I have unlimited access to fishing information, product information, and anything fly fishing related. Daniel has pointed out to me that every time we call Rio's "tech" line for a specific question, you can hear the excitement in the guys voice, because he is just so thrilled that someone is asking him "What is the perfect application for your new type 3, sinking, maximum shooting, specialty, textured, multi-colored, magic, flying, zombie-killing, rain-repelling, ebola-curing fly line." When you get off the phone with someone from Whiting, you feel like you have a masters degree in poultry science. My point here is that we should take better advantage of all the information at our disposal, and hopefully this will be a way for us to do that.
    So, for our inaugural Dan's Tuesday Topic, I need two things from everyone: One-what is your favorite new fly fishing toy (aka brag about what you got for Christmas that you haven't gotten to use yet)
    And B: What specific topics (if any) would you like to see covered?

I realize that this topic could probably be posted in several different forums, but this Smoky Mountain forum gets the most interaction, so we will go with this one to start with.

Thanks for reading, Lets hear it!

A. Clear Cure Goo. It seemed like it was too expensive for years, but now that I have some, I can't believe I've been fooling with 5-minute epoxy all this time. I just got the kit with the "thin", "thick", and light. I see me headed your way to buy the others soon.

B. Why the fly fishing demographics in this area appear to be all retired guys. Or, at least the trout fishing ones appear to be. I was at the Leconte Center thing this weekend, all older guys. The fly tying weekend was mainly older guys, at least the ones interested in trout were. The younger guys were primarily tying and watching warmwater flies. Is fly fishing headed that way that younger folks are less interested in trout?
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Great idea, I love it! As far as new gear, I haven't got anything in particular recently but last fall I got a new Fishpond boat net that I've really been enjoying. They make awesome nets and the carbon fiber construction is so lightweight!

For topics, I don't have anything I can think of right now but will look forward to seeing what the weekly topic is each Tuesday!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

If you really want to have a lot of participation in this, I suggest that you start with some of the more controversial topics. You'll really see a bunch of people posting on these.

1. Hotspotting
    2. Favorite smallmouth recipe
    3. Guns in the park is always a good one

Then once people are involved, move on to more educational posts.

1. What type of pack do you use for day trips in the backcountry.
    2. "Trash" fish, what ones do you fish for
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Good start guys, thanks for the input! I love the 'trash fish' topic. After all, I did grow up in Alabama. I once had a favorite T-shirt from 'elkhaircaddis' that read "NGFA- Non Game Fish Association, One man's trash is another mans treasure". This might be a good topic to go with for next week, but keep them coming. And Buzz, I think I will stay away from controversial issues for now. It's only a matter of time before I say something to offend someone.

I like this idea as well. No new gear for me either, but I am excited by this new company based in Knoxville by the name Syndicate. They have a new line of barbless hooks, colored tungsten beads and fly rods.

As Buzz was saying about noticing a lot of older men were mainly interested in strictly trout fly fishing, and the younger generation seemed to be more into the warm water side, I noticed that also. I believe that many of them recently retired and started fly fishing later in life as something to do now that they have more time. There is this strong notion that fly fishing is only for small trout and anything else is not as challenging. I used to hear that all the time working at a local fly shop myself.
    I believe that the younger generations are seeing the new interest in fly fishing for carp and smallmouth as a way for them to catch bigger fish and they don't have to spend a lot of time traveling to find them. That was one of the reasons I got into it about 15 years ago. I could find local waters with bass, and bluegills close to my work, carp and gar were there also. Many of the younger guys are in college and are on a budget so warm water appeals to them.
    I would like to hear what you guys think about this also.

Glad to see this!!

my favorite new gear has to be more glass rods either the 4wt Orvis glass or Blue Halo 7wt cannon

along the same lines, i would like to see a surge in warmwater talks and if they involve glass...even better I have found that the new generation of glass rods offers everything the majority of us need. the new tapers and material construction allows for a great action but still with good butt section strength. I personally will be using glass only for everything this yr...from panfish to musky.

Default dans tues topic

Great idea. I am going to start participating.
    Go Pro 4 Silver Edition which I have been trying to learn how to use .I have mounted it to a net and have been terroizing my wife's Yorkie with. When I get the footage edited I will post.
    Also , bought a Filson shirt- a little tight , refuse to send back and keep it by fridge on the counter as motivation. Hope to wear by Spring

Great idea. Did not get any new equipment this year to speak of. My bamboo rod buy of last year from Lee Orr of 304 Bamboo sort of took the other money.

We could always talk about strike indicators, tried them all. Still looking for the one.

Talking

B. Why the fly fishing demographics in this area appear to be all retired guys. Or, at least the trout fishing ones appear to be. I was at the Leconte Center thing this weekend, all older guys. The fly tying weekend was mainly older guys, at least the ones interested in trout were. The younger guys were primarily tying and watching warmwater flies. Is fly fishing headed that way that younger folks are less interested in trout?[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
    Buzz,
    Here is my take on it, I was at Southern Trout Fair this past Saturday and Fly tiers weekend. In fact if you stopped by the TU table this weekend you might have even talked to me, as I was given the spot by organizer Don Kirk to promote the three TU chapters in our region (Great Smoky Mountain, Little River,Clinch River chapters). As an officer with the Great Smoky Mountain Chapter #047; we are working 24/7 to energize, refocus the chapter for the future and get over 400 current dues paying members involved with projects that appeal to every age demographic.You are correct that the perception that it is for "old guys only" in the recent past, however as a Ski Patroller until just two years ago you hear the same thing at those organizations as they struggle along with groups like Trout Unlimited to bring in a member group that is made up of members that reflect today's world. NASCAR and the NFL, two of the largest big money sports organizations out there, saw the writing on the wall years ago and actively pursued involving women, ethnic groups, and youth. Even Mountain Dew did it, whose logo when I was a kid was a hillbilly in overalls with a long beard and a sly reference to mountain moonshine, they changed and updated their logo, now the perception is you gotta wear a helmet, be 20 years old, and willing to jump off a building to "Do the Dew'!

There are various reasons why younger people do not get involved with organizations like these in my own and others opinion's, the first being the issue of time. Take a young person with a spouse and kids, the pull for their time is enormous, soccer games, dance classes, the list goes on. The second is money, no one needs to fly fish, ski, or golf, these are luxuries that take a low place on the ladder when you have a family, mortgage, utilities, food, and again the list goes on for demands on a young person's money.

We are aware of these issues in TU and other volunteer organizations and every chapter is trying to plan projects and events that involve families and other younger members. Examples of these are the Kid's Fish Free Day sponsored by the Clinch River chapter. My favorite story there is the two mothers who brought their children out for a day of free fishing with everything provided at no charge; from waders, rods, and hot dog lunches. They came back the second year and looked for those of us who helped make their kid's first fish memory a great one, and some of the mother's have now come back and attended the Women on the Water event, where once again everything is provided and they learn to cast, tie flies and learn river safety. Than we take them on the water to put it all together, on a side note, trust me women pick the sport up as fast as kids do with just a little instruction, I even learned how to explain mending as the same wrist action as jumping rope after the analogy was given to me by one of the women. The Trout Camp each year in the park for kids 12-17 years old is another example, a portion of the money raised at the Troutfest banquet (April 24th this year), sponsored by the Little River chapter goes to Troutcamp to help defray the cost for kids that need financial assistance for the week in the park. Saturday, a young man and his family came up to our display and related the story of how he was one of the first kids ever to go to Troutcamp and what a great time he had.

I invite everyone whether a TU member or not to come out February 26th, to Calhoun's Bearden Hill location in Knoxville at 6PM to the next Great Smoky Mountain TU meeting. We are pleased to have David Knapp giving his presentation on Colorado Rockies fly fishing. I have seen it and I can tell you that everyone will enjoy it. David is part of what I call the young guns who are educating us "old guys" in new methods and strategies. This group of people like David, the Rutter's, Josh Pfeiffer, Shawn Madison and Duckypaddler, are forging new ground and I always carry something away from their presentations or interactions with them

I did not mean to hijack this thread in fact I had another topic I will have to ask for later as a Tuesday topic but your post made me feel I had to answer your question. I am passionate about this sport, TU, the future of our waters, and the outdoors. If you want to meet quality people with a passion for fly fishing like yours, interact with people with a depth of knowledge of this sport that comes only from years on the water, come to a TU meeting, any chapter. I have gone from a person who came to the side of fly fishing later in life, and now I can say I not only know some of the legends of fly fishing in this region, but can call them friends! (disclosure: they my not admit it in public!)

I have coined for the Great Smoky Mountain TU chapter this year a simple mission statement. "It's not about me, it's not about you, but for that child 100 years from now that pulls their first fish from that clear cold stream that you worked to preserve." "Get off the sidelines!" "Get involved!"
    Last edited by bigsur; 02-05-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."