Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: streamer leaders

I must say that I'm surprised at how short most of you make your leaders. on the clinch when fishing my standard midges or sulfurs I start out with a 10 foot leader and make it longer from there.I'm surprised that on a river with such picky fish that a 6 28 foot leader doesn't speak them. But then again this is exactly why I asked for advice.

I think when the fish get big enough to be a sure-nuff predatory piscavore, they lose whatever leader-shyness they might have had before.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    I must say that I'm surprised at how short most of you make your leaders. on the clinch when fishing my standard midges or sulfurs I start out with a 10 foot leader and make it longer from there.I'm surprised that on a river with such picky fish that a 6 28 foot leader doesn't speak them. But then again this is exactly why I asked for advice.
    Are you talking about picky fish in the Smokies? I don't think I'd classify them as terribly picky fish, just spooky to predators. And most of them have so much fast-moving water around them that they do not necessarily see your fly line thats 6-8 feet away from them. I'm also rarely casting long distances in the Park, so if I have a 12 ft leader, I'm never really casting much of my fly line. If they see that streamer swimming by, they dart out and grab it and don't have much time to notice the leader. I've learned from David and lots of other streamer guys that when you're fishing with a sinking line your leader should be short. My leader setup when I'm casting a sinking line out of a boat is quite often only 3-4 feet, because if you make it really long, the sinking line might be 6 feet under but the fly is so far removed from the line that its only a foot under...anyway, my two cents

I agree park fish are not picky. Day in and day out they are pretty predictable.when I talk about picky and spooky fish I'm definitely referring to fish on the clinch.in the mountains I will typically use a nine foot leader and that is just because of personal preference seven and a half feet is more than long enough.of course there are situations even in the mountains when a longer leader is helpful.I am looking forward to do a little more streamer fishing on the Clinch this year and it looks like I'll be using about a 7-foot leader.

2weightfavorite, shoot me an email at the address below if you get a chance.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that you wont always use a short leader for streamers. Full sink lines , yes you want a fairly short leader around 3-4ft , but when using a floating line,You may need to fish a longer one if you need to get deeper in the water column. Say, you want to fish a bottom bouncing fly like a crayfish imitation through a deep pool under an indicator. I have fished streamer leaders as long as 15ft. I do it all the time when fishing lakes. There are no hard rules, just adjust to the situation and type of fly as you would for nymphing or dry flies.

That's another nice thing about using a length of straight flouro or mono for your leader - just strip off whatever length you need for the situation, tie a perfection loop at one end and your fly on the other and you're all set to go. Easy peasy.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!