Thread: windy day on the clinch

Default windy day on the clinch

Hit the weir starting around 1 or so. Wow was it windy!!!! On a 30 foot cast the wind would blow the line at least 10 ft up river before it landed. In the first couple of runs we hit we got a lot of bites and caught a few fish, all which were very small however. Then from 3 till almost dark the fishing got tough... we fished hard and dredged up a few more on midges, but all in all it wsd not productive. There was a huge midge hatch on all afternoon. By huge I mean one of the thickest I have seem. The water was covered and there were clouds of bugs everywhere. At one point it looked like it was snowing!!! The small trout were rising everywhere! But the larger fish were nowhere to be found.

To me it seems the river is absolutely full of 6 inch bows and browns. I haven't caught a brookie in sometime, and the larger fish are extremely few and far between... in all honesty if you take my average fish size it would be larger in the national park than what I've been catching on the clinch....the tiny fish are getting a bit old...Really looking forward to semi warmer water in the mountains...

It makes me happy to hear the river is full of small fish, if anything the numbers of small fish have been very low the last year or so, which had some us worried about recruitment.

I am also happy to hear the brookies are once again gone, maybe someday someone at TWRA will wake up and realize they are nothing more than a waste of $$$ and resources. They have never survived the winter, and add nothing to the quality of the fishery, except maybe forage for larger browns.

There are plenty of good fish in the river as well, according to those I know who have been out. Keep at it, and you will find them.

You'd be surprised how many of those little dimple rises are actually nice fish.

I'm sure there were some decent fish thrown in the mix. And to be honest I usually catch my better fish on the clinch in may and June. Probably due to the sulfers... I think it also doesn't help that there were soo many people at the weir. As there is everyday. Those poor fish get hammered for sure.

Smile

Picked up a 19-20 inch brown that was my personal best from the Clinch today. It was really fat, one hefty fish. Size 22 black fly dry! Not all the risers were small! I almost didn't go today because of the wind, glad I persisted. It really calmed down after a little time on the water. Course I was a little excited....

Bill, care to disclose general area? Down low by the church? Or up high by millers or the weir?

Millers island

Good advice Rocky. Right Billj?

Default me too Joe

I fished Miller Island Saturday and had similar results as Joe. Found midges heavy and the fish small. I saw a rise and fished to it and the lane must've been slammed full. I use a dry with a dropper and had several take the #14 dry and even a double twice. I won't complain because it appeared as though this lane was the only productive one above or below me. I hope Waterwolf is correct and the small fish are indicative of better days ahead.
    c.v.

Ther is no doubt that very nice sized fish account for some of those rises. I generally catch some of my nicest fish on very small flies, often fished dry.
    On a tail water I always prefer to fish to feeding fish that I have located whenever possible, there is just too much empty water at any given time.

The conventional wisdom I would always hear was not to bother fishing to those risers, they were only small fish, you have to fish a zebra below to catch the good fish......my experience does not support this. I think this was just pushed forward by people who couldn't be bothered to do anything other than throw the same size 18 zebra midge below an indicator all day long. (Not that I don't try this too from time to time)

I am always changing my approach and flies if I am not successful when working feeding fish. They are eating something! I really enjoy fishing small dries, it is not appropriate for every situation but is great fun when it is the answer. Now if any body knows how to deal with those size 40 white winged chartreuse bodied ghost midges- I'm all ears! Been skunked when they lock on to those more than once.....
    I would always listen to anything coming from Rocky or Joe Congleton!