Thread: Floating a kayak

Default Floating a kayak

Upon moving to the NC coast, all I could think about was casting to sighted redfish (you better call them red drum over there). When I realized a flats skiff wasn't in my budget, I bought a Native Ultimate 14.5 and and 8wt Scott. Fast forward 4 years, we decided to move back to E TN, and after considering selling the kayak, I figured I would hang onto it and try to float the Tailwaters. I've never done it, in a kayak or anything else.

Does anyone here float one, or want to float one? I figure I need a buddy to work out the logistics of getting back to the truck at the takeout, as well as offer some advice for this type of fishing. The five years I lived here prior to moving to NC, I only wade fished, mainly in the GSMNP, and the Clinch and Holston rivers.

Probably won't actually happen until the spring for me, but Ive been sitting here watching this weather go by and dreaming. Thought I'd put the feelers out.

Also, while fishing the Holston, I've seen some MONSTER carp, and now I've got the rod for it, and I share.

I know people who kayak from millers island on the clinch to the rt 61 boat ramp. There ate some stretches u have to paddle or u barely move. Plenty of places to get out and fish along the way. Great for no generators

Thanks 2wt. Yea, that sounds great. Anyone here that has done this float? What's a realistic time frame ramp to ramp? Is it doable on 1 generator? I'd love to hook up with someone and see some more of the river, and provide shuttle service.