Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Tuesday Topic #3- What to do in an Ice Storm

Default Dan's Tuesday Topic #3- What to do in an Ice Storm

Ok, I think we can all agree that spring fever was here BEFORE all of this wintry weather. Unfortunately, a look at the 10 day forecast does not look very promising for fishing conditions in East Tennessee, so I have spent this 'snow day' preparing for the year. I can't complain too much, as I've been able to get out and float with David quite a few times and have fished enough to keep from going insane this winter, but barely.
    I will try to be optimistic; before we know it, Quill Gordons, Blue Quills, and others will be popping in the Smokies, and fish will hopefully be looking up for them. I can't wait.
    Hopefully this post will provide enough fishiness to keep people occupied.
    First, speaking of David Knapp and cold weather, he posted a good article about shad kills, what causes them, and how to fish them. Shad kills are part of tailwater fishing in East Tennessee, and if you have never fished one, I highly recommend trying it. http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com/201...shad-kill.html

Next, I'm going to open the floor for pictures of people's snow day activities. I have been tying a lot lately trying to prepare for the year, and last night and today were no exception. Bugs in the picture include Byron's Knuckleheads, Girdle Bugs, Quill Gordon wets, and some carp bugs.

Something else I want to hear about are everyone's travel plans for the year. One of my favorite things in the world to do is to travel to a new location to fish, and when everything comes together on one of those trips it is a great feeling. I was fortunate to make two unforgettable trips last year. The first was a repeat trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area to fly fish in the backcountry for big smallies, largemouth, and northern pike. The second was a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit my brother, who was living in Argentina at the time. I'm sure some of you have heard me ramble about that trip, so I will leave out all the boring details! If I ever run out of Tuesday Topic Ideas, I could probably be persuaded to do a pic-heavy post recapping either one of those trips, but only if people want to hear me ramble on about huge fish eating mouse patterns.
    This year, my biggest trip will be with one of my good buddies, Pat Tully, to fish the Elk River near Fernie, British Columbia. This river is known as one of the best dry fly fisheries in the world, and people regularly catch 20 inch Westslope Cutthroat on what we would all consider huge dry flies. There is also the chance for a 35+ inch Bull Trout, and also a pesky (the Canadian's words, not mine) 12-14 inch Brookie. Pat has made this trip 2 or 3 times in the past, and when talking about fly selection, he made the comment that he had "only used a nymph one time" there. SOLD. We got together on Sunday to finalize our trip and I don't know how we are going to contain ourselves until August.
    Also, I am going to start attaching a fly tying video or recipe on each of my Tuesday Topics. This week's fly is for all you saltwater fisherman. The Copperhead is an easy, quick tie, works great for redfish, and it was created by friend of the shop, Randy Hamilton.
    https://vimeo.com/118924459?from=facebook

Ok, this should get the juices flowing. I appreciate you reading, and I hope you can all bear with me as this whole "Tuesday Topic" thing continues to take shape.

Well, I'm doing exactly what you are. I've been tying flies through all this winter weather. As for travel plans I'm ready for a week in Wears Valley this July! During that week, I have only one small goal. I want to fish every stream in the Smokies. All without seeing any crowds or traffic. That shouldn't be real hard to do, should it?

hNt

PS I'm thinking about practicing my bow and arrow cast today. Here in the house of course. Hey it's cold outside! First things first, turn off ceiling can!
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

Default same thing

I've been doing a lot of the same thing. Something I've never tied specifically were bream flies. I've never targeted them on purpose. It was always something I fell back on when the bass fishing wasn't very good and I just wanted to catch something. I would then just tie on a large nymph from my trout box and fish it. I'm wanting to target some larger bream this spring, so I've been stocking up a bream box.

I've also been playing around with some basswood and a Dremil. Of course, they have turned out to be all different sizes, so a trip down to LRO will be necessary to pick out some hooks that will work. I've got plenty of the Gamakatsu hooks in all sizes, but I'm really looking for something with a little lighter wire. Then, they'll be painted, epoxied, and dressed.

As for trips this year, I'm wanting to spend more time locally, fishing and hunting. The past several years I've spent over a month a year travelling to hunt and fish and I'm looking forwards to the simplicity of staying at home and enjoying what I've got here. However, between David Knapp's post on the Gunnison and a buddy forward me a blog link last night about a fishing trip around Colorado, I wouldn't rule out a trip just yet.

I'll also probably head somewhere near the equator with my wife next winter for a week or so. I normally get a day with a guide while she does the spa thing, but the rest of the trip is about spending time with her. We didn't head south this year, and I'm regretting it right now.

This spring, towards the end of April, I'm thinking about getting a campsite at Indian Boundary for 3-4 days. I'd spend the mornings turkey hunting and the evenings floating the lake, fishing. Refer to the bream flies above.

Somewhere along the line, I'm hoping to drag ChemE away for a long weekend. SoHo, backcountry, I'm up for about anything. If Knapp is free when we go, he knows he's always invited.
    Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 02-18-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: punctuation, or lack there of
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I have been tying flies also this week in the evenings. Mostly finishing up some topwater flies for Smallmouth and some special Clousers for white bass.
    Last night I sat down to restock some girdle bugs in different colors. Girdle bugs, or pat's rubber legs, whichever you prefer to call them, are a great dropper fly below a big popper. They can be difficult to cast but have worked great when prospecting. Most of my big poppers and sliders will have a mono loop tied onto the shank for a dropper fly. I don't like tying directly onto the hook shank.
    I don't have plans for any out of state fly fishing trips this year. There are so many local streams here that I haven't fished yet. I hope to camp more this year. Indian Boundary is my favorite, and I was only able to camp down there once last year although my wife and I did go down with the kayak and canoe later in the fall. It is a beautiful place and the fishing can be good.
    Buzz, those flies will work fine. Tie up some soft hackle PTs or hares ears to drop below a popper. Green weenies work well also. I use a woven green weenie on a size 10 curved nymph/scud type hook with a brass bead and some micro rubber legs. My favorite topwater bass fly down there is a white size 6 gurgler. Lots of 12-14" largemouth in the lake and they chase minnows on the surface early and late in the day.

Talking

Hey Buzz,
    I use Basswood to make my foamies and have lots of scrap if you need or anyone else needs any.

Also have you tried Paulownia? Lighter, floats better, and it pretty tough unlike Balsa.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Default Too much thinking

Something else I do while the weather is bad is cruise around various forums on the world wide web. Some are good, some are bad, and some just aren't "me". But, what most have in common are group trips. So, to tie Dan's Tuesday Topic discussions for the week together; Why doesn't LRO have group trips? Are we just too complacent to put something together?

I think it would be a lot of fun if we reserved several spots in a campground and all headed there for a weekend. It wouldn't have to be anything formal, just someplace for a group of people to gather before/after fishing to camp and tell lies. It wouldn't have to be anywhere too extravagant (Bahamas) because we've got plenty of places in East TN where we could camp with both warmwater, coldwater, and tailwaters in close proximity.

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    I use Basswood to make my foamies and have lots of scrap if you need or anyone else needs any.
    I may be in touch. Let me see how these turn out. If they end up like my spinning deer hair, I may be trying to give you my Dremel.

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Also have you tried Paulownia? Lighter, floats better, and it pretty tough unlike Balsa.
    I'd never even heard of Paulownia. I might have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
    white size 6 gurgler.
    Thanks for the tips on Indian Boundary. Funny you mention the white gurgler. They have been on my "too tie" list all winter. I need to make a foam run and pick-up some more white. I have no idea where mine went.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
    Somewhere along the line, I'm hoping to drag ChemE away for a long weekend. SoHo, backcountry, I'm up for about anything. If Knapp is free when we go, he knows he's always invited.
    Buzz, I'm hoping to be able to join you guys this year. Also, if you head for Colorado give me a holler. I can point you towards some good water. I'm hoping to get out there this year as well and if our trips coincided I would be glad to show you some spots.

As far as the Tuesday topic, I don't have any pictures right now, but I've been tying nymphs for the Smokies and streamers for tailwater (mostly) trout. I'm really excited about the possibility of a good shad kill this year on the Caney and intend to be out as much as I can to enjoy it. We've already seen a few but I'm thinking it could get a lot better over the next two weeks with this cold weather.

Dan, as I mentioned to you the other day I'm jealous of the great trips you already have lined up. This year I'm hoping to make it back to Yellowstone and with a little luck Colorado and perhaps the Green in Utah as well. That may be a little ambitious for one trip but we'll see. I'm also starting to work towards a New Zealand trip as I have a friend who has fished it a lot on the cheap and has invited me whenever I can make it. Definitely something worth saving towards although it probably won't be this year.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I've been at home myself. ...military base closed due to weather. I started tying "trashfish" bugs a box with lots of carp patterns, gar streamers, and bowfin meat. This is intended for a local spot that I wade in early spring before the gators get active!