Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan's Tuesday Topic #3- What to do in an Ice Storm

Paulownia is an exotic tree that is extremely common around here. Some people call it princess tree, grows great on the side of cliffs and pretty much anywhere come to think of it. Royal paulownia is the common name and paulownia tomentosa is the Latin name. I think. Spelling is iffy at best

Winter has set in here in Eastern KY. Took a fly tying course a couple of weeks ago . Don't know if it is going to take. Trying to talk my self into it but my personality may not have enough patient for it.

Would take in consideration a trip with the guys of Little River Message Board for the GSMNP. My eyes and ears would be wide open to your knowledge and tips.

As for plans next year, a week in Utah starting July 5, two days floating the Green and fishing our way back to Salt Lake City.

What to do in an Ice Storm is precisely what Josh and I decided to do this morning.

Josh on his way to the river after having returned from being out of country the last couple of weeks.

We truly wandered if we would be able to make it back out after fishing.

Josh hung in there under the worst of conditions. Thats why he's a great guide. If we waited for great fishing conditions....would we really ever get to fish

[/IMG]

The sun came out for a moment as did the fish.

Here's looking at you Josh. Thanks for the call and a great day!!!

I always have something to tinker with equipment or fly tying wise. Tying a few articulated streamer and nymph patterns for myself lately. I tie a few flies for my friends and will do some custom tying from time to time to make a few bucks to support my habit. I want to fish streamers more this year. I plan on making at least one trip to MT this year, maybe two. My son is living in Bozeman and where and when we fish will depend on his schedule and the water levels. May have to be float trips on some of the larger rivers or tailwaters. Their snow pack this year is well below normal in most places. I may also try to take a trip to Arkansas or upstate New York. A friend of mine is an English professor and is from the upstate NY area around Roscoe. He spends his summers there and has been trying to get me to come up and fish some with him for a couple years. I also plan on making a couple inshore salt water trips for Redfish, maybe with my wife in the Charleston area. That way she can enjoy the beach and tourist attractions while I fish a day or two.

I would love to take a trip to BC (that Bow river trip sounds awesome Dan) or Argentina but I don't see that coming for a couple years. If everything goes OK I'll have all the time I need to make these trips in a couple years. I'm still trying to make a living and time is my biggest restraint at this point. I would like to spend a couple weeks in both places.

Locally I want to catch a Muskie on a fly and fish at least a couple new streams. I have tried to fish a couple new streams every year for the past 40 years or so and always look forward to that almost as much as the big trips because they are so easy and inexpensive compared to the larger trips. I am also a big fan of just daydreaming about past and future trips this time of year.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Paulownia is an exotic tree that is extremely common around here. Some people call it princess tree, grows great on the side of cliffs and pretty much anywhere come to think of it. Royal paulownia is the common name and paulownia tomentosa is the Latin name. I think. Spelling is iffy at best
    Let me know if anyone knows of any I can cut. One of my local sawyers had some, but someone beat me to it. I will be happy to share it, give someone lumber, or whatever
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Breck, Looks like you guys had a good float! Holler at me sometime and we will go, I will spend plenty of time on the oars and don't mind battling bad weather.
    I like the idea of a low key LRO board camping/fishing trip. I could probably bring a couple demo rods for everyone to try out on the water. Let me think on it and maybe we can all decide on a date that works. It would be nice to get out this spring before the summer crowds come in.
    I have only been to Indian Boundary once, and I just drove up from Tellico one winter to take a look at it. I'm currently looking at Gheenoe's so that I can fish water like Indian Boundary that I just haven't gotten around to.
    I'm enjoying these threads, thanks everyone for participating. Looking forward to fishing with as many of you as possible this year.

Breck,
    Thanks for a great day, there's nothing like fishing in the snow. Glad we could finally make it happen and I'm looking forward to the next go around. Maybe we'll have some better weather, but if we don't I'm still in so give me a call. Great job rowing especially since the wind blew us up river all day with snow in your face. Good company, fun river and we caught fish what more could you ask for. Thanks again.