Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seven Shades of Blue – Trout Distribution

Default Seven Shades of Blue – Trout Distribution

Image credit: www.arcgis.com
    The Park Fisheries trout distribution map has been made available online by the National Park Service GIS Department located in the Park. To access it, go to www.arcgis.com, select the “Gallery” tab and search for “GRSM_FISH” using the “Search for Layers” menu option. One should see the distribution layer and barriers layer. (To see the “Gallery” tab, it may be necessary to widen the window.)

This information is also available on the map side of the newly revised Park Fishing Reguations brochure available at visitor centers, some ranger stations and elsewhere.

The Park “Fish” web page is at www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/fish.htm
    Last edited by JoeFred; 05-09-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Deleted link to a web page that no longer exists.
    “Joe” Fred Turner

Sweet!!! I swung by your booth, twice, at the Southern Trout thing in Pigeon Forge last month. You were busy giving demos both times.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Sorry, Man. I hate we didn't get to chat. Next time hurl something at me to get my attention... other than insults. Ducky pretty much had that covered.
    Last edited by JoeFred; 03-28-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    “Joe” Fred Turner

Talking

Awesome!
    Thanks for sharing Fred

As everyone can see there are no fish in the Raven Fork so don't bother

I'm gonna now use this to harass Mr. Kulp, as I can quickly see many great places that have fish but are supposedly above the distribution lines I know it's just a product of limited funding

I wonder if someone had the energy and FUNDS to totally redo the trout distribution map would do what the recent stream mapping did and like double the amount of water we have that contain fish

And Nathan or whoever else is brave, looks like we need to get up further on Buck Fork. I want to get above the barrier to catch a "Buck Fork Brookie"
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Talking

I took all the appropriate layers that a backcountry fisherman may want from the park service data and made a custom map. I think this is the best way of dreaming up Smokies adventures

Hope some of you like it

http://arcg.is/1FQ6MgW
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Oh wow! Nicely done, James. Look for maps from us in the future to call out such things as landform and historical POIs, added trail difficulty ratings, and more detail on potentionally dangerous crossings, etc., and to showing less about fish distribution... instead referring to information about the latter to that provided by yours and the park's publications. (Perhaps one day the park web site will include a PDF of the undated fishing regulations with the distribution map on the back.)

We also plan to transition almost fully away from pre-printed park maps moving in the direction of more digital media versions and at some point... pretty much going to only downloadable products, many of which will be printable. Stream images for GPS-enabled devices are still in our future.

I want to take this opportunity to once again recognize the many hours of time and arduous work required of Steve, Matt, volunteers and especially the park service seasonal fisheries interns and technicians in order to provide the public with the distribution information collected during most of the 1990's. We were honored to have showcased this treasure chest of treasured waters on our maps and delighted to have been able to give back to the fisheries cause a portion of the proceeds from our sales. For those sales I say thanks again to many of you on this forum, to Great Smoky Mountains Association staff and to Byron and Daniel at LRO for their patronage and encouragement.

– JF
    Last edited by JoeFred; 03-29-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Recognition of source of distribution data and our future plans.
    “Joe” Fred Turner

Thank ou for all the work you've put in on mapping GSMNP streams. You've produced a lot of great information.

Quote Originally Posted by softhackle View Post
    Thank ou for all the work you've put in on mapping GSMNP streams. You've produced a lot of great information.
    I second this. Thank you all!!

Thanks for all the kind words. Here's some info snipits on the first of the new-look Park maps. Planned are at least three other watershed/sector maps of the 40 inch wide variety. Of course the PDF can be viewed on your smart phone or tablet in the backcountry or at work... on lunch break. Again, kudos to Matt for all his efforts in making the distribution data more widely available.

“Joe” Fred Turner

I didn't realize there was a giant crop circle with a big "c" in it in the middle of the park. I learn something new everyday. There really are aliens among us.
    My posts are worthless without pictures