Thread: Trip to Pagosa Springs and the SanJuan

Default Trip to Pagosa Springs and the SanJuan

In mid - May, I'll be in Pagosa Springs for a week and was hoping ssome of ya ' ll had been there before and might be able to point me in the right direction to find some fish . Any and all help is appreciated.
    Mike

We didn't stay in Pagosa Springs (we stay in Durango), but have fished the San Juan just outside of town in the canyon section. My wife and I floated it in mid-April a few years ago on the headwaters of Navajo Lake, and it was fantastic. We caught some pig rainbows, cutties, and cutt-bows. I can recommend a great guide if you are looking for one.

I can't comment on the fishing in town, but all the water outside of town is private. We weren't even allowed to anchor when floating because that was considered trespassing. Mid-May is a bit iffy as they could still be seeing high water resulting from run-off.

I welcome the recommendation of a good guide. Thanks.
    Mike

That will probably be the middle of spring runoff, but if the river through town is fishable, I've heard that they have put a lot of effort into making it a quality fishery. Lots of in stream habitat work, etc., and they stock some nice fish in there. I haven't fished it myself in town. Above town, the Forks of the San Juan are both good wild brown trout streams if they aren't blown out... That time of year I would be thinking about tailwaters like the San Juan down in NM. On the northern side of the San Juans (a fairly long drive), the Uncompahgre River tailwater at Ridgeway State Park has some really nice rainbows, browns, and cutts. If you are willing to drive a lot further, the Taylor River tailwater just north of Gunnison should be awesome that time of year for BIG rainbows.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Thanks for the help, David. By the way , do you know a guide out in Colo named Ken Hume?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
    Thanks for the help, David. By the way , do you know a guide out in Colo named Ken Hume?
    Mike
    Mike,

I've heard the name although I cannot recall where. I do not know him personally...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

The Trout Zone Blog

Default Pagosa Springs

There's a stream a few miles west of town - the name escapes me though. It's open to public fishing. I caught rainbows and cutthroat in it. Powder Creek? Anyway, there is an Orvis dealer on the main street running through town. I bought my license there and the people were nice and friendly and gave me some good advice on where to fish, what to use...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    There's a stream a few miles west of town - the name escapes me though. It's open to public fishing. I caught rainbows and cutthroat in it. Powder Creek? Anyway, there is an Orvis dealer on the main street running through town. I bought my license there and the people were nice and friendly and gave me some good advice on where to fish, what to use...
    Piedra River?

The Trout Zone Blog