Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Broken Rod Club

I may be off tract here but when did a $260 rod become a cheap rod. I own a 4wt 8'6 "bvk and have had no problem with it , I have caught lots of fish and dragged them up on the banks with it .I would not try to lift them out of the water using my rod. Yellowstone anglers do a rod comparison tests on many different rods in a wide range of price ranges and the bvk scores quite well. I can not justify to my self the price of a sage one when experts can not show a great enough performance difference as compared to price difference. maybe some do things with the lower priced rods that they would not do with their prized high end rod thus the disparity in break rates

Quote Originally Posted by D-Drake View Post
    Shawn,
    Sorry to hear about the rod. Hopefully you are getting the broken rods out of the way early and the rest of the year will be clear sailing for you.

......Shawn, if we can help with that rod repair just give me a call or email. Thanks!

Daniel Drake
    Thank you Daniel! I probably should have tried the Mangrove Model that your recommended after our discussions. I will be looking for a good backup this Spring when the trout get their binge on with mayflies. The 7wt TFO BVK with the GPX Taper Mastery-Textured you ordered for me is a cast monster. I can sling it to the moon with excellent control. It actually throws dries and emergers with a nice touch of control. I really like the rod.

*One note; I fish A LOT and I expect a broken rod every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Shawn,
    eager to hear the results on the time it takes for you to actually get your rod back. My results from this past year:
    Orvis Helios 2 - 48 hrs rods backs to me. Replaced w/ new not repaired. Best Nymph and Dry fly rods I have.
    Breck
    Breck, as I said; Orvis has the best business model in the industry. They build in top notch customer service in the price. That way they do not have to haggle over returns.

I expect my TFO to be back within two-weeks and I will update this post for FYI. TFO turned the last one around in 9 days and never had to haggle or do anything other than sending the processing fee.

Quote Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
    I may be off tract here but when did a $260 rod become a cheap rod. I own a 4wt 8'6 "bvk and have had no problem with it , I have caught lots of fish and dragged them up on the banks with it .I would not try to lift them out of the water using my rod. Yellowstone anglers do a rod comparison tests on many different rods in a wide range of price ranges and the bvk scores quite well. I can not justify to my self the price of a sage one when experts can not show a great enough performance difference as compared to price difference. maybe some do things with the lower priced rods that they would not do with their prized high end rod thus the disparity in break rates
    Surfdog,
    You are fair in saying $260 is not cheap for a fly rod. However; there is a difference in mid-range and high-end rods. Their construction is different and their handling is different. Kind of like a performance car vs. a muscle car. The both have HP, but, perform completely different on a track. It took many years and several rods before I could actually feel and understand the differences between bulk rods and high-end customs. I feel you should fish what you can afford and invest in what you want when you can afford it. The key with rods is matching them with the correct fly line and leader for your fishing application. With that rationale; most rigs will cast and fish great!

---------------------
    CLARIFICATION: My intention in this post is not biased towards a particular rod brand or company; it is only to offer an informed discussion.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I have broken one rod in over 40 yrs of fishing, maybe I don't fish enough, and I was not fishing then I had laid it down in a guide boat when I changed rods I found it was broken a 7 wt streamer rod St Croix tip section gave them a call they just replaced the tip was Dili seed I a few days didn't need to return a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
    I have broken one rod in over 40 yrs of fishing, maybe I don't fish enough, and I was not fishing then I had laid it down in a guide boat when I changed rods I found it was broken a 7 wt streamer rod St Croix tip section gave them a call they just replaced the tip was Dili seed I a few days didn't need to return a thing.
    That is good luck and probably a tribute to your good technique as well. I admit that I sometimes get lazy with my casts; but, I am always keen to keep the bead off the rod if I can help it. Believe it or not; I and the guys I fish with catch a lot of meaty fish and need to get the to reel. During these fights, I can definitely see and feel the stress in the rods. My friend Beto broke 4 rods last year and they were on fish in the mid 20s.

I fish the Clinch River Tailwater and my daily take is 40% (3"-10"), 40% (10"-16"), and 20% (16"+). Sometimes we get 50-75 fish in half a day. However; most days is is around 20-25 fish in 2-3 hours.

One of the reasons I posted this topic is I am truly interested in seeing why I am breaking rods while fighting fish. One trait I feel I have adopted at times is lifting power-trying to pull or lift fish in to the boat. I think this was due to adopting some of my friend's traits in trying to turn around the take and cast too fast. I do think two of my breaks last year were from some sloppy boat handling of fish. However; there were two that had big fish on them during long fights where the rod basically exploded.

I will try and use my GoPro more this year to help me analyze my faults and help identify what is causing my breaks. I cannot show the RL Winston video from last year due to their kind promise to fix my rod at a discount.

By the way; I have a St. Croix spinning rod that is built like a tank. I do not think many tailwater fish could break it. However; it is covered in dust in my closet. If anyone is interested in buying a bundle of spinning gear; give me a shout. I will sell it all at a good price. Just shoot me an email.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

Here is an interesting video on how rods break.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMELRJPr6I
    "Here fishy fishy."

Shawn,

Your thread started me to think.

Like new:

9wt Mangrove

(2) 9 wt BVK's

4 wt BVK

Interested in a great deal...shoot me an email.

breckdavis100@gmail.com

Breck

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post

Very intriguing video! Thanks for sharing that, it is a good one.

I have only broke rods 3 times and all three were my fault in some form or fashion and none of them were on fish... Of the ones I have broken, TFO had the best customer service hands down. I had to send a rod back to Orvis that was not broken but the reel seat was getting lose and it took several weeks. That said, I love Orvis rods so I keep buying them.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    Very good video Silvercreek and I enjoyed the ideas that were presented. I will try to identify my problems and share with others to help them thwart their own issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Shawn,

Your thread started me to think.

Like new:

9wt Mangrove

(2) 9 wt BVK's

4 wt BVK

Interested in a great deal...shoot me an email.

breckdavis100@gmail.com

Breck
    Sending you a message.
    power

Yall got me wanting to knock on wood - I've never broken a rod! Probably came close a time or two, but I suppose its inevitable at some point.
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Very good video! Tim Rajeff is considered to be one of the top guys in rod design, and his Echo rods are an incredible value. I have an Echo 3 that I love.

One thing he didn't mention, that I've always thought was an important factor in breakage, is failure to check your ferrule throughout the day - a partially seated ferrule puts extra stress on that spot.

Another thought the video left me with, is how to relate tippet strength with the breaking weights as shown. Those rods were able to withstand 11-14 lbs of pull, putting the rods in extreme arcs. We sometimes use leaders/tippets stronger than that, in bass or saltwater fishing, so it would seem that using the rod to "lift" would definitely stress the rod beyond it's limit.

Anyway, very interesting stuff.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau