Thread: Dan's Tuesday Topic-A mixed bag

Default Dan's Tuesday Topic-A mixed bag

Alright, we are almost to spring. The snow is gone (mostly) and this warming trend looks like it's going to continue for at least the next 10 days (except for Thursday and Friday). This will be my 5th Tuesday Topic, and I hope you guys (and gals? Do we have any gals on this forum? Sound off!) have enjoyed these as much as I've enjoyed writing them. I have to say, I did expect last weeks 'DIY' topic to get more comments than it did. If you missed that one, go over to the Tackle and Gear forum and show off your favorite fly fishing DIY.

This week's post will be a mixed bag since we have so much going on. We've had an eventful week at the shop and we can tell that the general population is stirring after a long winter.
    First, a fishing report. We have had a few reports of Blue Quills trickling off in the lower elevations of the park. All 3 reports that I have heard have come in the last 3 days, and seem to be consistent with one another: Size 16ish dark gray/navy mayflies, hatching downstream of Elkmont. None of the guys I have talked to have actually seen fish taking the bugs, which I guess isn't surprising since we haven't seen water temps above 42 degrees in who knows how long (until today). I have certainly seen Blue Quills in the park before Quill Gordons, so hopefully they aren't too far away. The water temp today has sky-rocketted to 48, so that's encouraging.
    As far as the shop goes, we have stocked up on our early season flies, and our Spring preseason gear orders are on the trucks headed our way. We are expecting Fishpond and possibly Simms this week, and Orvis sometime around the 15th. We are also in the process of upgrading our "school rods" to the new Orvis Recon, and that order will also include a rod or two that we can send out as Demo rods with you. I promise you one thing, I am ready for our shop to be fully stocked and to see all you guys moving through on your way to go fishing.
    We have our Smallmouth Bass tying class with Josh Pfeifer and Byron scheduled for this Saturday, and we think it should be a great class.
    If you saw last weeks post, you know that I bought a Gheenoe. I was able to take it out on her maiden voyage today, and it was just great. The boat is super stable for its size, drafts really shallow, and goes as fast as I want it to go. I was even able to convince a couple of early spring largemouth to take a fly, which was awesome.

The fish I caught were up in pretty shallow water, and I have a feeling that all heck will break loose once we see this warming trend. A lot of times the big females will move up towards the spawning ground first, and the bucks will follow them up.
    Switching gears, it's become pretty obvious that we need a "General Discussion" forum for all the things that don't fall into one of our already existing categories (like my Tuesday Topics). Would you all like to see a General Discussion board in addition to all of the other boards we already have?
    This week, I also want to hear where everyone is planning to fish on your next day off. I'm obviously not looking for specifics, just wondering which river, lake, or type of water you've been dying to fish "on the first warm day that I can get out". I know it felt really good to get out onto one of my favorite lakes today, but I'm also really excited about casting dries to rising fish in the lower elevations in the park.
    For this weeks fly tying video, we have a simple variation to a wooly bugger. The high water that spring brings us can really loosen up some bigger fish, and also kick up a lot of big bugs and sculpins from under the rocks. Put a tungsten cone head and some lead wraps under it and get that thing down! Estaz Chenille has become hard to find, but we have found another distributor and are hoping to get it in the shop soon. Ice Chenille is a good alternative.
    http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...onster-bugger/
    Also, speaking of high water, this is a cool trick that some people like when they are high sticking nymphs in the park. While competitive fly fishing doesn't appeal to me, there are some pretty cool tactics that are used for nymphing.
    http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...nymph-fishing/
    Thanks for reading guys, looking forward to seeing everyone soon and hearing all of your reports. Give me a call at the shop if you need anything.
    -Dan

Great post as always. I've really been enjoying your Tuesday topics Dan! I'll be fishing some mountain streams next week if all goes as planned. First I'm visiting my cousin down in upstate South Carolina and we plan on exploring a stream nearby with our fly rods. I'm not sure if it will warm much but maybe it will be a tad warmer than in the Smokies if we are lucky. On my way back home towards the end of the week I'll be stopping in the Smokies for a day or two. Time to track down those hatches and some rising trout!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Glad to see you got that boat out, I bet it'll fly with an 8!!!! I haven't been fishing in forever but I'm almost done moving and I live right in the thick of big waters now. I will be trying deep for walleyes and white bass first chance I get

Quote Originally Posted by dmunger View Post
    .....have enjoyed these as much as I've enjoyed writing them. I have to say, I did expect last weeks 'DIY' topic to get more comments than it did. If you missed that one, go over to the Tackle and Gear forum and show off your favorite fly fishing DIY.
    I saw the thread, but I'm not much of a DIY'er when it comes to projects. I usually end up spending as much on the project than if I'd just bought and paid for someone else to do it. And, I usually end up with an inferior product. That is if I even finish it to begin with. I have been thinking about getting a little solo canoe like Troutman's and personalizing it to my taste. Then, I came to the realization that in 3 years from now, I'd be fishing off a milk crate in a basic canoe.

Would you all like to see a General Discussion board in addition to all of the other boards we already have?
    No. I come here to escape everyday life. I get enough drama at the office. I don't come here to discuss politics, religion, nor do I want to hear about Little Stevie making the traveling T-ball team. I come here for the fishing.

I can pretty much guarantee you that if there was a General Forum, you'd spend way too much time moderating it. Unless you enjoy that kind of stuff.

This week, I also want to hear where everyone is planning to fish on your next day off. I'm obviously not looking for specifics, just wondering which river, lake, or type of water you've been dying to fish "on the first warm day that I can get out".
    I'm headed to Alabama turkey hunting in a week. The WMA I'm hunting closes each day at 1:00pm. That should leave me several hours each afternoon to fish the lake near the campground. The guys I'm hunting with will probably spend the afternoon sitting around the campsite drinking beer, but I can do all that I want at home. I'm not going to miss out on a chance to get outside and enjoy a new place.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

like i told you, the gheenoe is the one boat i eventually want to get! for the fishing around here its ideal and very portable.

as far as the next off day...well i typically fish every day at lunch if the weather is decent i am exactly 5 minutes from the tenn. river and only 2 minutes from a feeder creek that has stripe, carp, and bucketmouths! for me, once the fish start getting shallow and active i keep flies stuck in my jeep visor and a 7wt or 8wt in the passenger seat

Hopefully I will be able to fish this weekend out of a local tailwater for white bass. I know that the local freestones are still extremely cold from all the snow runoff, so I doubt the smallies will be active. Lets hope for good weather forecast and favorable generation schedules.

I'll be hitting a canal in the everglades where this time of year 100 + fish days are typical. The fish are never very big [up to 3 lbs] but the bite never stops.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
    No. I come here to escape everyday life. I get enough drama at the office. I don't come here to discuss politics, religion, nor do I want to hear about Little Stevie making the traveling T-ball team. I come here for the fishing.

I can pretty much guarantee you that if there was a General Forum, you'd spend way too much time moderating it. Unless you enjoy that kind of stuff.
    I hear you, and think you are correct on the amount of moderation it will require. However, if a general forum were established it may allow others to share common thoughts and experiences the same way you and I have over the past few years. Typically I have enough willpower to ignore certain threads that I know will get me all spun up (which as of late tends to be a greater percentage). That being said, I most likely will not participate in a General Forum as they seem to result in more drama than positive exchanges.

I suspect I will spend my next day off in the woods doing a little pre-turkey season scouting since I don't expect any streams to be very fishable anytime soon.