Thread: thread furled leaders

Default thread furled leaders

I have been using a Uni-thread furled leader for a couple of years now. Rog1 gave me one to try out on one of his trips to the park. I really like the way they cast a dry fly. No coils to straighten out like mono, and a little float paste keeps them on top all day. I have not ever seen them in fly shops, only mono furled or twisted styles. Does anyone else use them or make their own locally?

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
    I have been using a Uni-thread furled leader for a couple of years now. Rog1 gave me one to try out on one of his trips to the park. I really like the way they cast a dry fly. No coils to straighten out like mono, and a little float paste keeps them on top all day. I have not ever seen them in fly shops, only mono furled or twisted styles. Does anyone else use them or make their own locally?
    Handy I recently posted elsewhere about them.

I suspect you know all the benefits. I don't think I will ever go back to tapered leaders. One $10-$15 leader lasts a season or more. I loop to loop connect to the fly line and clinch knot tippet to the ring. No blood, surgeons, etc. are required to add tippet. Less time with too short a leader, less time adding tippet, more time fishing.

I've been using Streamside Leaders (single man operation near Chicago) for 4 years. Michael offers many options on the leader; different materials, (all uni thread, bifilament, all mono, spectra); leg numbers, colors (30+ and up to 3 in a leader); length; and even a choice between 4 different tippet ring shapes or a shorb loop. I typically receive the leaders from him within 5 days of my order, shipped for free.

I think bigsur uses streamside as well.

Thanks for the info on streamside leaders. They seem to make everything and lots of color choices. I just ordered some uni thread furled leaders last night from Quigley's. I tie my own tapered mono leaders for bass fishing and add a tippet ring. It sure makes it easy to change out tippet sizes. I may try some of streamside's in the future.

I've been really happy this year using Cutthroat Leaders for dry fly.

I'm using Cutthroat Furled leaders too. Very happy with them.

I visited the cutthroat site and did some reading. A lot of the issues they talk about with standard leaders, I have been having. I ordered some of their leaders and am looking forward to trying them.

Used the cutthroat leaders today. Excellent product!

I am ordering more for several other rods. They may appear a little pricey, but are actually cheaper than replacing a whole leader.

Sets were quick and after adding the flotation paste, they floated all day long.

just ordered a bunch of furled leaders from streamside . they are having a buy one get one sale for christmas fyi

I have been using the same all mono furled leader since March this year. It's 7' model wth shorb loop instead of tippet ring. It usually ends up being 11'-15' after tippet depending on single or tandem flies. I got it from one of the guys on eBay that was recommended on one of the fly fishing forums. I love it compared to a regular tapered mono leader. It is still in great shape after being used once a week every week occasionally twice/week all season. With some paste floatant it will ride high for a couple hours of constant fishing, then have to dry it and reapply. That's pretty good compared to regular leaders but the only thing that I think could be better, maybe I'll try a thread furled or one of the thread/mono hybrids to see if they hold floatant longer. I won't be going back to tapered or knotted leaders, not by choice anyway.