Thread: Campsite 50 up from Smokemont

Talking Campsite 50 up from Smokemont

Curious if anyone had experience with campsite 50 Lower Chasteen Creek. The boys want to do an overnighter next week on their Spring Break and have requested not to goto campsite 18. Looking for something short and sweet without much elevation and this seemed to fit the bill. I was also considering going to campsite 40 up rough fork, but talk of mud in trail guide killed that as it been real rainy lately. Might do 39 Pretty Hollow, but would like something better. Anyone have some input?
    Thanks in advance,
    James Locke
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Ducky,
    I was up there with DWT chasing brookie around there last September on the LR TU chapter group campout in Smokemont. It is a very short walk on right of trail probably not more than 200 yards or so up from Bradley Fork trail. Flat area with bear cables of course, easy access in my opinion, cake walk for you and for your boys. As far as the Chasteen creek, tight, tight, tight, glad to say been there, not sure if I would chase it again on next camp out. The plus, 20-30 minute walk back to Smokemont group site, bathrooms, water for taking a break from the woods. I like Bradley for change of pace and easy access for all ages. I waited for DWT while he tried to round out the day with a slam which he did. Yes, I saw bear signs, like grubbing for insects and plants but hey you know as well as anyone it's the Smokies it's their zip code! Hope this helps! P.S.Now I am a fan of Pretty so hard to go wrong with Cat. Forgot to add there is the horseriding stables at Smokemont if open yet!
    Last edited by bigsur; 03-14-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

My boys and I went to 50 twice when they were 10 and 11. These were our first camping trips ever so I had some worries but they were unfounded. It was an easy hike in and we even walked back to the developed campground when we "really" needed to go potty. The fishing is pretty good starting at the campsite up anyway. 39 is doable with young ones also. One thing is both sites have horse trails, so you have to avoid their treats on the hike. PM me if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Curious if anyone had experience with campsite 50 Lower Chasteen Creek. The boys want to do an overnighter next week on their Spring Break and have requested not to goto campsite 18. Looking for something short and sweet without much elevation and this seemed to fit the bill. I was also considering going to campsite 40 up rough fork, but talk of mud in trail guide killed that as it been real rainy lately. Might do 39 Pretty Hollow, but would like something better. Anyone have some input?
    Thanks in advance,
    James Locke
    65 is a mile and a half up the trail and is really pretty site. You take a .1 mile jog off the mail train to get to the site which is nestled in it's own cove between 2 ridges. Another big plus- the stone picnic tables. The minus is that water access is back down that .1 mile jog so bring extra containers. Opportunity to be the weird annoying Dad: play and sing along to Talking Head's "Road to Nowhere" the entire time you are on Lakeshore Drive.

39 is another nice short level hike. It's easy to get to with 3 cases of beer in your backpack (not that I would know about that sort of thing). I prefer driving into Cataloochee via Big Creek/Mt. Sterling Rd instead of Cove Creek road. It takes longer but Mt Sterling Rd is wider and has fewer blind switchbacks.
    Last edited by mattblick; 03-15-2015 at 02:01 AM.

Talking

Thanks everyone for their responses.

I think 50 still tops the list right now. I had walked by the site myself 2-3 years ago, but it was late at night well after dark so I didn't check out the site (didn't want to scare anyone). I have been to 39 several times and was looking for a site more appealing. I have also ruled out 65 simply for the drive. I don't want to do 5-6 hours driving, only to drive again to Grandma's house the next day. Hooked on Trout, yes I remember your reports, and next time one of your boys may be driving you to the park
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Thanks everyone for their responses.

I think 50 still tops the list right now. I had walked by the site myself 2-3 years ago, but it was late at night well after dark so I didn't check out the site (didn't want to scare anyone). I have been to 39 several times and was looking for a site more appealing. I have also ruled out 65 simply for the drive. I don't want to do 5-6 hours driving, only to drive again to Grandma's house the next day. Hooked on Trout, yes I remember your reports, and next time one of your boys may be driving you to the park
    One got his license in November and the other gets his permit next week. I can now sleep all the way to the Park (yeah right!).

Kephart Shelter on Kephart Prong Trail just over Newfound Gap from the TN side...yes I know it has a little elevation, 3900ft, but you don't have to carry a tent or a tarp and can go even if it rains. Plus we need a fishing report on Kephart Prong!

Russ