Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crayfish

Default crayfish

With camping season upon us, I was wondering about catching and eating crayfish in the park. Is it legal to harvest them? How many? Is there a size restriction? I've seen some decent size crayfish in the park...and even the medium ones would be just fine to boil over a fire at night with some old bay mixed in. Even if they are only big enough to snack on and not make a meal out of them... anyone have any info on this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    With camping season upon us, I was wondering about catching and eating crayfish in the park. Is it legal to harvest them? How many? Is there a size restriction? I've seen some decent size crayfish in the park...and even the medium ones would be just fine to boil over a fire at night with some old bay mixed in. Even if they are only big enough to snack on and not make a meal out of them... anyone have any info on this subject?
    Interesting idea! If allowed I'll send the boy out with a net and offer him a buck a bug .

If not, perhaps this could suit your needs: Two years ago I went to a place on Wear's Valley RD "Pawpaws Kajun Kitchen" for them. I noticed little signs on the road "crawfish boil Saturday". I stopped in to inquire and the cashier claimed they were fresh live bugs and actually went to TYS airport to pick them up that morning. While not LA, I lived in TX with a lot of cajuns for a decade. I really miss going to boils at friends or even the festivals where 5$ would get you a massive pile of boiled bugs in the big folding Styrofoam takeout container. Though more expensive, Pawpaws bugs tasted like the real deal to me. I'm hoping they will have them again when I am down this May.

Matt I drive through wears valley weekly and have never seen that place! Ill be sure to look for it this week.

The way I read the regs, the only thing, animal or plant, you can harvest are fish (trout, small mouth, and rock bass). I may be wrong, but that's always been my understanding.

They like green weenies.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

I don't see why you can't eat them, but I wouldn't go crazy. Don't attract a lot of attention to where the park thinks that it has to regulate consumption of crayfish. In short don't talk about it.

You can harvest no more than 2 pounds of mushrooms and fruit and berries per day. Fruit and berries must be picked while standing on the ground...no ladders or climbing trees...I collect morrels every year in the park and I eat blackberries up there all summer too...

Quote Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
    The way I read the regs, the only thing, animal or plant, you can harvest are fish (trout, small mouth, and rock bass). I may be wrong, but that's always been my understanding.

They like green weenies.
    That's awesome! The first thing I ever caught in the park on a fly rod was a crayfish. I think I caught mine on a black woolly bugger.
    Last edited by technowannabe; 03-29-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Removing picture from quote

I wouldn't do it unless you are really hungry. Not saying I haven't done it but it is "illegal." Don't let those big bullfrogs at Abrams tempt you either because they are delicious but also "illegal" to eat

Well, I'd check with a ranger, but the regs say if you attempt to take fish including crayfish, you must have a license. You can find it under who must have a license. LRO site has it under fishing info.
    "Here fishy fishy."

I'll do some checking around. I DO NOT suggest asking a ranger...they don't always know what they're talking about. I had a friend that ran into a ranger while fishing. The ranger told him his dry dropper rig was illegal in the park. That only a single fly could be used. They politely argued until they walked to my buddies truck and read the regulations. I think this would be a better suited question for a higher level park official. ..