Thread: 4/01/2015 Fishing Report

Default 4/01/2015 Fishing Report

Little River near confluence with the Tennessee is showing large numbers of yellow and white bass, with the occasional top water flush that must be hybrids. I'm throwing tandem unweighted deceiverish white/chart patterns. I had to use a indicator yesterday because the fish were so quick to spit the fly. They almost always hit it as the fly drops. Slow, slow, slow is the trick is short strips and long pauses. I had luck at creek mouths and around structure on the banks. The water I fish sits still.

I work in Rockford/Alcoa, and when I drove by the Little, it was glass. I proceeded to Townsend to get a few trout, but only managed one about 14 inches in an hour. All I could think was "the stripe are here, i know it, forget these trout" So I decided to feverishly drive to my local stripe hangout. Sure as the sun rises, strikes "EVERYWHERE"

Fishing 2 and 3 streamers is my thing, I had my first double hook up of the season yesterday. Now all I can think about is pre-spawn smallies.

One day I'll go back to the park....Tight lines amigos.

Carp are spawning, bout that time. They're jumping everywhere.

I can't figure out how to post pictures, first post.

Eric Floyd
    IG: fly_medicine
    Last edited by Cheeooo; 04-02-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks for the report! Always interesting to hear about fish I've never targeted (i.e. hybrids).

Dave

Nice report! I have been playing around with my double streamer rigs. Are you tying them inline on one single line, like clinch knotting the top fly and leaving a long tag for the bottom fly or maybe tying a double uni-knot and tying the top fly off a few inches off the lower tag end?
    I have been tying up some lightweight beadchain clousers for the stripes, but wondering if a deceiver style or maybe a gotcha salt pattern may work well also.
    I am hoping to head over to the forks of the river tomorrow morning before the storms roll in , to see if I can find a few.
    I just missed the run on S creek last year. caught some there in Rockford. They are pure muscle!

CinciVol, I will be getting a hold of you soon to go fishing.

Thanks for the post, loves me some whites. Last fall and this spring have been the best year for whites in the past 3 yrs or so, they are super thick right now. I caught some at the launch in Rockford every cast on Tuesday waiting for my girlfriend to arrive

Nice job. Whie and yellow bass are a blast on a fly rod. Never caught one a fly rod though.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
    Nice report! I have been playing around with my double streamer rigs. Are you tying them inline on one single line, like clinch knotting the top fly and leaving a long tag for the bottom fly or maybe tying a double uni-knot and tying the top fly off a few inches off the lower tag end?
    I have been tying up some lightweight beadchain clousers for the stripes, but wondering if a deceiver style or maybe a gotcha salt pattern may work well also.
    I am hoping to head over to the forks of the river tomorrow morning before the storms roll in , to see if I can find a few.
    I just missed the run on S creek last year. caught some there in Rockford. They are pure muscle!

CinciVol, I will be getting a hold of you soon to go fishing.
    I just tie a fly on about a 7 ft leader w/ a Duncan Knot, I attatch 3x tippet... about 24 inches to a second completely unweighted streamer. My key has been patters w/ 3 colors.white/chart/pink flouro on the chest... . and a good open looped side arm oval cast..white/chart/pink flouro on the chest working good too.. I even have a couple with rattles... I typically use the rattle fly on top... as of 4/16/2015 - the little river is blown waaaay out. Carp are spawning, doing the shamu/killer wale breach. The water has risen however, which when cleared, should be epic for some crappie and stripers. The fish caught are near a bank or creek mouth. White deceivers would be a safe bet in the clear... white/chart in the offcolored...