Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Dry Flies

Default Classic Dry Flies

Does anyone fish the classic dry fly patterns? You know the classic Royal Coachman, Blue Quill, Red Quill and the list goes on. I love the looks of these flies and I love tying them. I find myself using them very infrequently. I think this year I am going to try them more often if for no other reason then I simply like them. I would like to get a bamboo rod this year. Maybe a Sweetgrass or a older Winston by by the original Boo boys. I know for certain I will be fishing the classic dries with such a rod.

I fish classic dries all the time. I have found them to work great. I do tie them sparse. On most I'll tie a very narrow body with only three turns of hackle. Now these won't work as well in the riffles but very well where the trout have time to really inspect the fly. I love parachutes but feel a little better when they take a traditionally tied dry. Especially this time of year.
    Lynn

There are a few places I still use an older style like quill Gordon, blue dun, or female Adams. The hairwing Wulff style and parachute flies just land on the water better and seem to float longer in the Smoky mountain streams I fish. When you say traditional flies do you mean flies with feather wings?
    You can't stay dry and one temperature all your life! ROB

Most of the dries I tie & fish are just a variant of the royal coachman, except usually with a hair wing, so maybe its more of a Royal Wulff.

I agree with No Hackle regarding the sparse body. I try and tie a very thin body but I am guilty of using more hackle. I generally use about 5 turns. I think if you can get by with less they will work better. The exception to this is attractor patterns such as the Royal Wulff and such. Here I prefer a little more thickness to the body and maybe six to seven turns of hackle.

Quote Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
    I fish classic dries all the time. I have found them to work great. I do tie them sparse. On most I'll tie a very narrow body with only three turns of hackle. Now these won't work as well in the riffles but very well where the trout have time to really inspect the fly. I love parachutes but feel a little better when they take a traditionally tied dry. Especially this time of year.
    Lynn
    Lynn, on the sparsely tied flies, what sort of hackle are you using? I've got capes that with only 3 turns, you don't end up with much more floatation than a bead head nymph gets.

I still tie and fish some of the more common ones that produce fairly dependable hatches on most of our streams. I especially enjoy some of the old Catskill patterns. Most of which I add a little twist of my own here and there. Some are parachutes or I add hair for the tails, just little things to make them a little more fishable. Here's some old standbys.

Light Cahills

Red Quill, male hendrickson imitation

Light Hendrickson, female hendrickson

Dette Coffin Fly, Green Drake Spinner

BWO

Hazel Creek
    Last edited by flyman; 04-08-2015 at 02:15 AM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Very nice ties as well as photography.
    "Here fishy fishy."

Terrif flies no doubt. Beautifully tied! I second the amazing photography comment! Taking a good fly Pic is often as hard as the tying itself!

I have caught a few on the light Cahill in the park, but they sure weren't tied that well. Very nice. Annyone ever catch one on a big green drake?
    You can't stay dry and one temperature all your life! ROB