Thread: NYT article on trout fishing

Default NYT article on trout fishing

Didn't know if anyone saw the article in the NY Times that I linked below. My question is how accurate is this information. Is it purely speculative, or is there some merit to what he is saying? If so, have there been increased efforts to reduce our reliance on stocking programs? Also, how is the state of TN specifically impacted, if at all? Just a bit curious. Thanks...

Todd Grainger

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/op...yt-region&_r=0

Just a quick read but a few things stood out. First, it was an opinion piece. Second no citations or references to peer reviewed sources. Third he admits some numbers were his calculations or estimates. As such, I view as simply his opinion not well supported and biased.

If his opinion piece raises an interest in the topic, I would recommend a book with a similar topic that has supporting references of peer reviewed sources called An Entirely Synthetic Fish. This book covers the history of rainbow trout stocking and reads as a best of intentions with unanticipated outcomes book.

http://www.amazon.com/An-Entirely-Sy.../dp/0300140886

Dave
    Last edited by dwardmba; 04-11-2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Typo

I would second reading "An Entirely Synthetic Fish". The NYT article is an opinion piece as no sources were cited.
    Speaking from personal experience there is no real trout fishing in Illinois. For any real trout fishing you need to go to either Wisconsin or Iowa. In Wisconsin the state DNR is trying to wean streams off the hatchery truck. This is being through habitat improvement, land acquisition sales, and stocking fingerling wild trout. Some of the Wisconsin streams large populations of wild brook and brown trout. These wild trout are collected in the fall and stripped of their eggs and milt and taken to the hatchery. These wild fish are stocked as fingerlings with the idea being that these will survive much better than domesticated hatchery strains.
    Of course there are trout fisherman that demand hatchery trout as these wild fish are more difficult for bait fisherman to catch. So the state also stocks some streams with hatchery rainbows and some with brown and brook trout. Nearly all the fly fisherman in Wisconsin leave these stockers alone and target the wild trout instead. Minnesota has a very simiar policy to Wisconsin for trout stream management.
    Iowa has some streams with naturally reproducing browns and couple even have naturally reproducing brook trout populations. However Iowa stocks their streams very heavily with rainbow and some brook trout. Because so many streams have naturally reproducing brown trout populations browns are no longer stocked in Iowa.
    The Iowa DNR even has a stocking calendar on their website.
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/Fishing/TroutFishing.aspx
    I know when I used to live in New York stocking of streams with hatchery trout was the norm. I think other states have better plans and to be honest fishng for wild fish beats fishing for stockers any day.