Thread: LR TU Cat camp-out

Default LR TU Cat camp-out

I had a great time this weekend as guest of the LR TU chapter's Cataloochee camp-out this weekend. Bigsur made the mistake of inviting me to the outing and I'm not certain if the 4 others present will ever forgive him.

I'm surprised there isn't a waiting list for this trip. The Cataloochee group campground is a real gem, you can walk out of your tent and be on productive water in 3 steps.

There seems to be a biggest tent contest going on between the members. The spacious interiors allowed for cots, internal hammocks, clothes racks, and other luxuries. This year landscaping appeared around one of the tents. To compete with this "glamping" you will need to pull out all of the stops. My one man tent brought down the real-estate value.

Rain harassed us for a lot of Friday, it was all dry by Saturday afternoon, but came back this morning to ensure our gear was wet at clean up time. I just finished laying out my gear out to dry. Saturday's incredible weather made up for the rain. Flows were up a bit but everyone had some success.

Bigsur suggested some great water in the valley that delivered well. Dances with Trout got to witness my fish relocation technique.

I got my first slam.

- Matt -
    Last edited by mattblick; 04-19-2015 at 08:50 PM.

Default LR TU Cataloochee trip

Matt, You are welcome to come back anytime. Congrats on the Slam!. I sent pictures to Bigsur to post as I always struggle with uploading pictures.

It was a great trip and I look forward to you joining us again.

Thanks for the cigars.

God Bless,
    Dances with Trout

OK, time to start playing catch up, TROUTFEST 2015 is just days away(you can still get ticket at: troutfest.org ), unpacking and drying camping gear, working for a living, and fine tuning final details with TROUTFEST committee I could use a nap!

Thanks to Matt for starting this post, now I will give you the real story, I had invited Matt to come on down and he took me up on the deal. I told everyone I wanted the trip to have a purpose so I told them Matt would be our "Take a Kid Fishing" project, they agreed but were somewhat surprised when the "Kid" had a two day beard but soon welcomed him when they were told the "Kid" had brought cigars and adult beverages!

I had tried to tell Matt that unlike him and his cohorts that back-country camp and pack by the ounces, we packed by the ton, were creatures of comfort, and if it will fit, strap, or held by magnets to the outside of the 4Runner it's going!

Matt, soon learned the joy of dutch oven cooking, bacon, beef, and full lumberjack breakfasts and will never be able to look at a Mountain House trail food the same way again! He now knows the world of glamping and fishing with old Tennessee trout guys and gals, he is ruined forever! When we camp we put on weight, not lose it!

He also learned we take the fishing as serious as the comfort and I am proud to say he got his first Smoky Slam with our crew. I will also add if you get a chance to fish or camp with Matt take him up on it, he is good folk even for a boy from Ohio, and now has official Tennessee hillbilly in his DNA!

One thing about the CAT, as far as the weather, what I have learned from my past years of Ski Patrol on the other side of the hill is here is your forcast on any given day. "It's going to be cold in the morning, warm at noon, rainy in the afternoon, and cool or dang cold at night!". This forecast is good for any month but maybe July!

GOING IN THURSDAY VALLEY VIEW FROM TOP

SETTING UP ALSO KNOWN AS THROW IT ON THE GROUND WILL FIGURE IT OUT LATER

1ST ELK SHOT GOING IN, YOUNG BULL PROBABLY CHASED OUT

NOT SURE WHO'S FISH? CREW JUST SENT ME SHOTS IF YOUR'S CLAIM IT OR MAYBE NOT!

THE JOINT IS LOUSY WITH ELK! MAIN HERD IN VALLEY PROPER

MATT WORKING A STREAM. LOW & SLOW GETS YOU A SLAM!

SAME YOUNG BULL BY HIMSELF LOOKING FOR A LOVER IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES

MATTS BACKOUNTRY TENT. WE WANTED TO KEEP POTATOES IN IT BUT HE SAID HE NEEDED TO SLEEP IN IT! VERY SELFISH!

MATT WORKING IN IT LIKE A PRO

CAMP SHOTS TO FOLLOW HANG ON!!
    Last edited by bigsur; 04-22-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

part two camp shots:

WHAT A FULL TILT BOOGIE CAMP LOOKS LIKE! YES THAT IS THE STREAM IN BACK AND YES OFFICER WE BROUGHT A HALF CORD OF APPROVED WOOD!

IT WAS SO RAINY FRIDAY NIGHT DID NOT HAVE FIRE!! MADE UP FOR IT SATURDAY I PROMISE!

THANK GOD FOR CANOPIES. DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT EM' 2 FOR TABLES 1 FOR GRILL AREA PERFECT!

HOW FAR FROM THE WATER WILL WE BE? ROLL OVER AND LET ME KNOW!

I THINK MY SHOES ARE DRY? HOLY CRAP! MY SHOES ARE MELTED!

WHY MATT THINKS WE ARE SPOILED DOLLAR GENERAL $1 SOLAR TENT STAKE MARKERS! NICE IDEA ERNIE! NOW WE CAN SEE WHEN WE TRIP!

Thanks to all for another Cataloochee trip, we arrived home safe, sound and just a little bit soggy. The highlight for me was casting to a small brown on Palmer Creek, behind Palmer house, on a Palmer fly. Karma personified!

Last edited by bigsur; 04-21-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Dances with Trout you could have warned me that you would be taking photos!

Bigsur, as I mentioned the 1 man tent in the pictures above is my heavy one. I'm not giving up on my ultralight gear but may need to add some glamping gear to the closet. Thanks again for the invite!
    Last edited by mattblick; 04-21-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Talking

Looks like you guys had a great trip

The wife should be off weekend night shifts soon enough so I hope to make the next one.

Congrats on the slam Matt and John I'll see ya Friday
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com