Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan's TT: CARP TIME

Default Dan's TT: CARP TIME

Had a chance to get out on a rainy and windy day, and it was the only day I could swing for the week so I decided to go ahead with it. Can't catch em if you don't go!
    So I grabbed my 8 wt and my carp box and put the Gheenoe in. I also had a newly glued up push pole and some homemade brackets that I was excited to break in. I started combing some new water and saw 3 fish cruising together fairly quickly, but they weren't spooked: spawners. I continued on and saw one slow cruiser: perfect. I led him by 5-6 feet, slid the fly into his line of sight and let it fall. He turned slightly and headed straight for it and stopped right on it. He was further away than I like and I couldn't see my fly. I saw his tail wiggle so I gave a quick strip set, turns out he hadn't eaten it yet. BUT, the fly slid about a foot from my premature strip, and he chased it down and sucked it right up. Another reason to know when to use a strip set! At that point I was hopeful that it was going to be a good April carping day. I've had some great numbers days in April around the spawn and I was hopeful. But anyone that carp fishes knows that you can't get carried away: one carp is a good day.
    Buzz, here's a picture of the first fish

This was my first carp in the new Gheenoe and it was a memorable one.
    I kept moving and ended up finding a nice group of feeding fish in ultra shallow water. I could see everything from on the cooler, but since they were in such shallow water, I opted to beach the boat and set out on foot.
    Buzz, check out this cool photo of the beached Gheenoe!

I started stalking a few tailers and the rain started to come down. The rain helped a ton: usually when the fish are that shallow they are pretty unforgiving. Since there were drops of rain crashing down all around the fish, they hardly noticed a fly line, leader, or some bead chain eyes plopping down in their vicinity. In addition to the rain giving me some forgiveness, the fish were eating EVERYTHING I put near them. All told, I fished for about 2 hours and had 13 takes, 9 hookups, and 7 fish to hand. I broke two fish off, one from getting wrapped up in a tree limb and another from getting a little too excited.
    There was a large group of spawning fish within earshot, and it's not uncommon to find some hard feeders within close proximity of the spawners.
    BUZZ LOOK AT THESE PICTURES!!

Seriously though Buzz, I agree: my posts are worthless without pictures.

Hope to see everyone soon.

Now that's definitely I memorable outing!!

Sweet!! I signed on here first thing this morning hoping to see some pictures. It's way to early to read.

When are you going to put a platform on the Gheenoe? Is it even possible? Balancing on a cooler as a bunch of kids tube in the cove you're fishing doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Have you named the Gheenoe yet?
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Buzz, I have entertained the idea of a platform, but I like how easily I can move the cooler and how it serves two purposes. Space is limited in that thing and I'm trying to keep clutter down to a minimum. If I did a platform, it would definitely need to be easily removable for when I didn't need it. I still may end up with a platform, but I'm going to keep on with the cooler for now.

I have yet to name the Gheenoe.

Great piece Dan,

Paula and I may try that tomorrow. I wish everyone else could see the video you took that day. It is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Byron

yeah that video was pretty wild! soo much going on!

Great looking fish. I can't wait to get out and catch me some football sized fish.

Great job !

I have been fishing and tourney fishing for carp for a number of years (conventional). This year I decided to chase carp and bass (in addition to trout) on the buggy whip.

Pretty intimidating but I'm prepared for the learning curve. At least I have a ton of spots for training grounds.

Welcome Zoomie,
    Do you do most of your fishing up in Kingsport??

Dan,
    I'm going to look at a Gheenoe this afternoon. Pretty pumped!! Now you're fishing a river there right? I've never chased carp here in VA but can't imagine it would be too different. Any tips for finding them now? I think here they move back to the lake by summer time temps but not sure. Also, the big difference here would be the water is always semi-muddy. Never crystal clear in either river that feeds the lake although in low water times (late summer) you can see a fly several feet under. I just don't really know where or how to start this process but I'd love to learn it.
    I have some Shad darts that look really similar to some of the Carp flies, do you think they would be good?
    Thanks,
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.