Thread: Clinch-today 4/25/15

Default Clinch-today 4/25/15

Well this morning I was bone tired after months of working on Troutfest culminating with last night's banquet and auction. However after seeing the Clinch flow schedule and weather prediction of storms I followed the radar like I was getting paid to watch and dragged myself out of bed to rig the gear and hit it! I thought the river would be jammed with people finally able to sling some rope after months of unfriendly wading flows but surprisingly not that many. I think the weather forecast kept some at home.

I could tell the water was slightly stained as I dropped in and saw trout rising like jiffy pop on a hatch, laughing with no one to see it first cast bam......fiish on!

By this time a young man was making his way down, now I am sure he thought I was nuts as I laughed and said "Man jump in there are more fish than I can handle, plenty for both of us!" He told me it was only the second time on the Clinch and I said, "Dude this is a magic moment on the river, so let it rip.", and we proceeded to wear them out for the next hour and a half!

Basically you could throw about any standard Clinch set up and they were slamming them in the film and below as the hatch kept on and on! It finally reached the point I said I am going down and try for a brown and a slam. I told him you will rarely hear me say it but I am tired of catching bow!

Well I did not get my slam but about 2 1/2 hours of over the top fishin on the Clinch more than made up for it! If the young man reads this the offer holds come to the TU meetings and thanks for being part of a grand day on the water! Here's a few more shots, would love to have shot more but sometimes when they hit like that you just gotta fish!

"It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Sweet! Those days are indeed magical. Glad you had a great day.

God Bless,
    Dances with Trout

Out of curiosity is that s grey soft hackle I see in those fishh? Semi large to...like a 14.... I've never used grey soft hackles on the Grinch before...

Fun day on the Middle End as well. The big boys were ready to play on deep drops. However; I broke my 2nd rod of the year on a meatball. Saw one or two sulphurs as well.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Talking

Good deal! Looks like all that good karma you gained for doing Troutfest paid off for you
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

I floated a little bit yesterday and had one of the best days I've ever had fishing period. I hope for many more days like that ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    Out of curiosity is that s grey soft hackle I see in those fishh? Semi large to...like a 14.... I've never used grey soft hackles on the Grinch before...
    To answer your question, more like a 16, there is a rabid few of us who fish soft hackle on the Clinch all the time. I fish soft hackle year round in the Smokies also, as you know they have been around since the beginning of fly fishing so I figure why reinvent the wheel. As far as color I primarily use dark colors, and partridge of course, I do not care what color they are in the store or when I tie them because if not dark I color with a Sharpie!

The grey color usually comes from a fly tied in white or light color that has been Sharpied and the water, after continued use usually fades out and becomes grey. When sulphurs are in season, I will use yellow and seems to work also. I sometimes tie a dropper with what I call "Stages of Life", in other words nymph on bottom, soft hackle higher up, imitating a mini-hatch.
    But than again I spend too much time in the water and like to try different things just for the fun of it. It's like at the end of the day I always tie something on I never use or just outrageous enough to make the fish laugh while I smoke a cigar!

I am now working on a dropper called the "BigSur's Circle of Life", to annoy and trigger browns! I tie a wooly booger on bottom, with something like a small nymph above. In other words, I want the big fish, to see the small fish chase the bug and trigger a 2-for 1 sale on the buffet line The experimental part comes from how far away does the wooly booger need to be from the nymph to get it right, I will let you know how that goes!

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    I fish soft hackle year round in the Smokies also, as you know they have been around since the beginning of fly fishing so I figure why reinvent the wheel.
    ... and by "soft hackle" he means "Trout Magnet".. I witnessed it first hand.

Oh Matt, my bad I thought he said soft tackle!