Thread: "Jim-E" Midge-Good Time To Fish It! May-2015

Exclamation "Jim-E" Midge-Good Time To Fish It! May-2015

The "Jim-E" Midge is working well with the current midge hatch on the Clinch.

Here is a link for those interested: http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ight=jim+midge

*One new tip; lightly wet the neer hair to help straighten it and bow tie it in. Then trim nice and neat.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Cool pattern. Thanks!

Shawn,

That's a good looking bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Pfeiffer View Post
    Shawn,

That's a good looking bug.
    Thank you fellas for the good words. It is really nothing different as a pattern; but, the techniques, material, and midge "stage" are different from most I have seen. My pictures for that article did not detail it that well. The basics are using one size up wire for a contrasting wire or to variegate the look. Also; I like to use very light colored thread. Pull your wire ends next to each other on the back of the hook and tie in after tying on the thread. Tie in with 2-3 wraps and slowly pull them down the hook spine until they clear the back of your bead and leave a gap behind the bead for all the extra stuff at the end.

Note: the gills are intended to be bow-tied/figure-eight and do not go all the way around the bead base. Trim them down to look natural. This pattern banged it yesterday with fish hanging "moon" bottom.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

Got this meatball Sunday Morning on a #16 Jim-E Midge. He was only around 20", but all of 4-5 lbs with excellent fight in him.

power

That fellas a beefcake!! Nice fish.

I think I have a crush on that fish. Haha I've been seeing a lot of 20" range fish that are THICK. Awesome fish.

That is quite an impressive fish Shawn I must say; good looking bug too. I tied several of these and will give them a shot this weekend on the Hiwassee, hopefully with favorable results. If not, I have the usual arsenal that produces and should get into some fish; nice to have another card up the sleeve! Thanks for sharing the pattern.
    God gave fishermen expectantcy so they would never tire of throwing out a line.

omG, now thats a football of a Rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman01 View Post
    That is quite an impressive fish Shawn I must say; good looking bug too. I tied several of these and will give them a shot this weekend on the Hiwassee, hopefully with favorable results. If not, I have the usual arsenal that produces and should get into some fish; nice to have another card up the sleeve! Thanks for sharing the pattern.
    Flyman,
    If you are fishing the in the Hiwassee I would tie big ones with a super heavy bead and throw to the fast gulches if you want big boys. Fish it down stream and on about a 3-4 foot drop. Also; fish the shadow line of the river to get bigger fish. The Hiwassee is good and fishes too quick with the stockers hitting every fly you throw at them. I
    n that warm water of the Hiwassee; a bigger fly down deep, is good for big boys that will be holding in highly aerated areas with cold pockets.
    Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-16-2015 at 05:38 AM.
    power