Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ain't been fishing enough

Default Ain't been fishing enough

Ain't has a long history of controversy. It first appeared in 1778, evolving from an earlier ain't, which arose almost a century earlier as a contraction of are not and am not. In fact, ain't arose at the tail end of an era that saw the introduction of a number of our most common contractions, including don't and won't. But while don't and won't eventually became accepted at all levels of speech and writing, ain't was to receive a barrage of criticism in the 19th century for having no set sequence of words from which it can be contracted and for being a "vulgarism," that is, a term used by the lower classes, although an't had been originally used by the upper classes as well. At the same time ain't's uses were multiplying to include has not, have not, and is not, by influence of forms like ha'n't and i'n't. It may be that these extended uses helped fuel the negative reaction. Whatever the case, criticism of ain't by usage commentators and teachers has not subsided, and the use of ain't is often regarded as a sign of ignorance. · But despite all the attempts to ban it, ain't continues to enjoy extensive use in speech. Even educated and upper-class speakers see no substitute in folksy expressions such as Say it ain't so and You ain't seen nothin' yet. · The stigmatization of ain't leaves us with no happy alternative for use in first-person questions. The widely used aren't I?, though irregular, was found acceptable for use in speech by a majority of the Usage Panel as long ago as 1964, but in writing there is no acceptable substitute for the stilted am I not?

It's been so long since I've posted a fishing report I'm starting to feel like the guy that is full of comments but has no proof to back them up. My first love of the outdoors is hunting, and as long as I can be in the woods with a bow or gun, that's where I'll be. This year's turkey season has been a long but fun one for me. Although, I didn't kill one, I had the best season for as long as I can remember. There is one more week left for me to hunt them, but I've had enough fun for the year.

Sunday morning, I decided to sleep in late for a weekend (6:30 as compared to 4:00) and hit a part of the park I haven't been for awhile. I made a quick stop at McD's and was on the road. Another stop at McD's in Gatlinburg for a new coffee and I was almost there. I'd gotten a little later start than I wanted and just knew that there would be someone fishing in front of me.

Unfounded worry. I was the first in the parking lot. Yep, that's my Fahrvergnügen.

I should have taken a selfie here. I hear that is the thing to do nowdays.

Last time I was here, JRoss and I were standing in the stream and a just-married couple was getting their pictures made from here. Today, I'm on the bridge and no one is in the stream. Just the way I like it.

I've been trying to expand my foraging abilities and this stuff was growing everywhere. I thought about picking a bag of it to add to a salad. Does anyone know what it is?

Although no one was out, I still decided to hike a ways in and stretch the legs. This looks like a good spot to hop in.

Yep, this is what I came for.

This fish made me think of Brokeback Mtn, so I named him Hank.

My posts are worthless without pictures

After fishing up the stream for awhile, I had finally cleared my mind of work and them dang turkeys. I'd gotten to thinking about the more important things in life, like what keeps gravity and erosion from just bringing the mountain down overnight. My mind was quickly at ease when I realized the Park Service had taken proper precautions. Good thing they chained his rock down. I'm at complete ease now.

Sometimes I never feel as though my flies are big enough. Back to the vise.

After fishing for a few hours, I'd eaten all my snacks and started to get real hungry. I'd already caught a boatload of these,

So, a quick hike out and I was headed back to McD's. I probably hadn't eaten McD's three times all last year and here I am hitting it up three times in a day.

After filling myself with 2 years worth of trans fat, I still felt like fishing a bit.

I decided I'd hit a few roadside spots on my way back towards Maryville. This looks like it could be good for a few casts.

Plenty of these were to be had.

It wasn't long before I was simply wore out from a long winter and spring and needed some simple arse on couch time. I caught a few more of these.

And headed home.

That folks, is why I Fly Fish

I like your style Buzz, and Hank, poor Hank....something about that fish just ain't right.

Nice report!

Talking

Nice post Buzz

I never understood why when a research project is done they don't remove all traces. Maybe they keep it there for future projects or something

And why you went back to McD's when all that lovely salad greens are growing everywhere. Put the branch lettuce or ramps aside and dig in to the real feast
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Default Jealous

Nice post Buzz. I saved it so we can make it one of our first posts on www.****buzzdoes.com.
    Bob Campbell
    rit.edu
    800 miles North of the country's best wild trout fishing

Great report and pics, unfortunately I wollered all in that salad yesterday. No ill effects just yet

Default Lack of time

This isn't going to be as much of a fishing trip as me showing off the old fishing dog. So, if you hate dogs, please discontinue reading.

I've bitten off a little more than I can chew with work and have spent the last 3 weeks or so trying to keep my head above water. I haven't even really had the spare time to check in on the board to see how the fishing has been going. My wife drug me to her parents place in Lawrenceburg this past weekend. I knew I could use the time away from a desk and computer, not to mention they have a pond out the front door and deer woods out the back.

Well, I fished a bunch. It's either that, or watch Nascar. And not just the race, but practice and qualifying too.

First fish. Ducky, don't shoot the messenger, I didn't write the rules.... Oh wait, I may have.............

First little bass

I didn't catch many big fish this trip. They are in here, I just didn't catch many. But, I had the turd burglar trying to help retrieve every one of them.

Action shot

Toss that thing back down here.

My in-laws already think I'm a little weird, so I don't get caught taking too many pictures of fish. "Fish are for eating, not looking at"

That's it. A pretty relaxing, fun get away. Back to the grindstone. Hoping to get my head above water before the end of the month.

I gave up trying to keep my head above water at work a long time ago. Now I just add extensions to my snorkle. I figure as long as I can keep the waves of $#!+ from lapping over the intake, I'll be OK. That, and dreaming of retirement, is all that keeps me going sometimes.

But looks like you had a good get away, at least for a little while. Maybe I need to get me one of those 4-legged fish retrievers. Do they work on snagged flies as well?
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Nice post Buzz

And why you went back to McD's when all that lovely salad greens are growing everywhere. Put the branch lettuce or ramps aside and dig in to the real feast
    So that is why you kept pointing out those wonderful leafy greens every time we passed them, aye Ducky?

Thanks for the posts and pictures Buzz, it will help a bit sitting at my computer all day.

Default Grinch

I made it out again today. ChemE and I have been trying to get together and fish some. We'd spent the past week texting back and forth trying to coordinate a day we could both slip out of work and have favorable generation schedules. After a few days of texts, we decided to hit a tailwater just north of Knox County around noon today. They weren't scheduled to turn on the juice until 3 which would give us about 3 hours to fish. Other than a few folks fishing off the dam and a college kids named Thomas, there was no one fishing.

I've been trying to organize some fly boxes and get rid of 10 years of tying flies that I'll never use in a million years. But, the project was incomplete. So, instead of having 3 fly boxes of mostly junk and some flies I actually use, I had 3 boxes of junk and 2 incomplete boxes of flies I've actually used within the past 2 years. Well, I'd thrown these boxes as well as a pair of waders and boots with 2 fly rods and 2 boxes of miscellaneous stuff into the fahrvergnügen last night. I was about as unprepared as I could be and didn't want to forget something.

I arrived before ChemE and was just getting ready to head to our prearranged meeting spot when he pulled in the parking lot. I waited while he threw on his waders and we headed down river. We got on the river and I started catching fish immediately. All rainbow stockers. I guess I've gotten spoiled with what the slot restrictions have done to the river, but I don't really want to catch typical stockers. Today was not a day to complain it about it though. It's all I caught. ChemE did catch a nice slot fish, but didn't bring a camera, so it's up to you if you want to believe him or not. Well, onto the pictures.

Not the first fish. I just have a hard time taking pictures of stockers and broke my own rule. The first fish was straight out of the truck and it was obvious, no fins and bloody tail. This fish did ask to have its picture made.

It got ate.

ChemE is fishing just upstream of me. Catching less. He has no pictures, so he can't prove me wrong.

Fly of choice. Didn't see the first sulphur come off today.

I was going to take a picture of the smoke rolling out of the smoker, but a sudden storm blew up over south Maryville and I was left drinking beer in the garage.

It sure felt good to get out and spend some time with cold feet. Better than anything the doctor could have ordered.