Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ain't been fishing enough

Great post, thanks. Storms have been moving in weird directions here lately

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Great post, thanks. Storms have been moving in weird directions here lately
    They sure are. Last night's storm came out of the southeast.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

As you said, I have no pictures so cannot really add much to this post. Although that 19.5" brook trout I caught was a pretty specimen, sure wish I had my camera with me. Also, all 58 fish caught today were caught on a size 8 stonefly nymph, those stockers on the Clinch love that fly!

In all seriousness, it was very nice to get out on the water and spend time with good company. We had a blast just chatting a making jokes while fishing, something that is pretty difficult to do in park due to the noise and how far apart we usually are. Also, I discovered that I was completely out of 6X fluoro, and 7X doesn't respond kindly to 60' drifts and fish that like to wrap you around logs... Thankfully, I was able to wrangle my 15" slot rainbow in during one of those extremely long downstream drifts, although I did have a few break me off. Regardless, I kept two trout to grill for my son, and I was able to enjoy the fact that I am not in Saudi Arabia this week (which is where I was scheduled to be), so I consider this trip to be a huge success.

Default Fibs, not fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
    I may still fish it a few times during the week or during non-peak tourist season.
    So, I lied. I'm a fisherman, It's up to you on whether you want to believe everything I say or post.

I'll start this off by saying "excuse the crappy photo's". My wife is in Iceland with a bunch of her knitting friends and she has the good cameras. All I was left with is a cheap point and shoot that I use for work.

I had every intention on doing some work around the house today and surprising my wife when she returns with the completion of a major project that I have been promising to do for years. This year was going to be to paint the retaining wall. We've got two big retaining walls in our front yard and they look pretty ragged. I've been meaning to powerwash them and paint them for years. I actually accomplished powerwashing them yesterday, but had decided it was simply too hot to fool with today. So, I went fishing.

I threw my usual Smokies gear in the car and headed out. I wasn't sure where I was headed, but since I'd gotten off to a late start, I knew I wasn't going through Gatlinburg. I eventually found myself at the end of a road and decided to head up. Along the way, I passed this awesome cascade.

I remember waiting out a thunderstorm under this several/many years ago.

I normally use the hiking function on Runkeeper to keep track of my mileage while hiking (and running) but it wasn't functioning for me this morning. So, I hiked roughly 2.5-3 miles from the trailhead and jumped in.

On the first cast.

I hopped up to the next pool and would you know it.....wet boot prints. There were only 5 vehicles at the trailhead and one was hooked to a horse trailer. I passed a couple fishermen just above the cascade. How could I chose to hop in at the exact place someone else did? Oh well. I didn't fret, I climbed out and went a good ways above them. I gave them and myself a good ways to have clean water.

It wasn't long before I was back to catching fish.

I was having some issues casting. Every now and then, I didn't feel like my rod would load and I was getting frustrated. I actually felt like the line was wrapped around the end of the rod, but everytime I looked, it was fine. I went to check to see that all the sections were joined correctly and found the problem.

How in the world does someone miss an eye while lining a rod!?!

Once I had it figured out, I was back in business.

I flipped over a few rocks to see what the fish had to eat. I'm not sure why they were interested in this.

Default cont.

When these would have given them a whole meal. Seriously, I'm not sure why I don't fish more big nymphs.

That thing could easily fit in this fish's mouth.

If I fish nymphs, they are typically a size 16. They catch fish, so I fish them. All the real nymphs I saw today were 12+. I know the fish eat them. Why don't I fish them? I'll be at the vise some this week.

All in all it was a great day fishing.

And, I'll be looking forwards to the next time I can get out.

The necessities.

Good report Buzz, glad you got out.

Nice brooks, hard to beat a caddis in the smokies. Nice job on packing light too, that has to make it easy

Default morning spikes

I really hadn't been able to get out and fish for myself for a few weeks. It's tourist season and it just seamed as though I had an old friend and their family in town the past couple weeks. Don't get me wrong, I made it out fishing, but most of my time was spend trying to get a buddy or his wife/kid their first mountain trout. I even managed to get a few to catch their first native trout. I don't see how you guides do it. You truly must love what you do. There were several times I just wanted to leave everyone on the stream and run off to fish by myself.

Well, I finally had the chance to do that Sunday. On Saturday we finally got some decent rain and I watched the flow chart spike up almost a foot before Sunday morning, so I was headed to the Park for sure. I got out of the house early, however not as early as I had wanted, but I was still early enough to watch the sun rise. The river wasn't near as high as I was wanting it to be and it was still running clear when I would have liked it to have some color. But..... fishing was still good and I caught more than I expected. I did have one really nice fish break me off. The break off was probably more operator error than anything, which makes it more frustrating than ever. I chronically retie my flies while fishing, but it was late in the morning, I'd sort of given up and hadn't retied after snagging several rock and trees. Lesson learned.

Oh well, enough of the words. I'll let the pictures tell the story from here on out. Sorry for the crappy pictures. My wife took my preferred camera with her to Iceland. She's home now, so the pictures will be better next go around.

Later.....

I feel like I need to piggyback on this thread buzz.
    I've actually fished more this year than the last 3-4 years, but still don't feel like I get out enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    I feel like I need to piggyback on this thread buzz.
    I've actually fished more this year than the last 3-4 years, but still don't feel like I get out enough.
    Jump on in. You've always posted solid content.
    I've also squeezed out more trips to the water than the past several years, but still feel like I need to try and get a few more days in.