Thread: Sometimes plans might change 5/15

Default Sometimes plans might change 5/15

Sometime you have a plan when you go hit the water. Get up, get fed, get loaded, then get Fishin. However sometime the best laid plans fail. This is one of those day. The plan was to get started early,(9am early for me) nope, 2 hours under the house messing with the hot water heater (an ongoing battle, I'm in the losing side). Then finally made it to the car, wham, call from the Mrs. at work, she needs my help with something. 2 hours later, I'm walking out the door, day off........... Now it's sitting somewhere around 1-1:30, and I finally get to my location. This is when all this rambling starts to get to a point. As I go to pull my gear out of the truck, a black pickup with a rod out the back passes and I hear in a northern accent, " YOU HAD ANY LUCK HERE BEFORE" This fine older gentlemens name would turn out to be Jim. My simple reply was, something along the lines of, "Why of course!!" He began to go into his stories of where he had fished, Colorado, Wisconsin, out west, up north, SERIOUS BIG WATER, the stuff I dream of fishing someday. Yet ,here, he seemed to not be able to land the fish he wanted, not that he was catchin small fish, but, not really catching much at all. I told him a lil about me, and how I was new to the whole thing, however, I was more than willing to show him what I had learned. The long and short of it was he was still doing that big water distance cast, layin' out a lot of line on the water. Told him about high sticking, and how to achieve it. I also asked him if he knew how to roll cast, told him it would allow for the distance he wanted forward but, he didn't need all the room for the back cast. Then showed him how to do a snap cast, using the current. I worked my way kinda down steam, instead of up so he could see my technique a bit because he want to watch and see what the big difference was in his actions. Guess it helped he pulled a small rainbow. Then I landed this guy at the tail out of a very large slick pool, next to a stone wall on the #24 bh pheasant tail dropper (I feel good about this one, becaused two other guys where stand in the middle of the pool 10 minutes before hand).

Thanks for photo op Mr. Jim.

I believe Mr. Jim landed a few little rainbow in that same pool. I made my way a little farther down stream. To pull in a few more little rainbow and war paint shiners. We traded off casting locations, as I handed out a few more pointers here and there. I could see his spirits seemed to be lifted some. He was at least now able to target and land a few fish. It felt good to be able to aid a fellow fisherman in his pursuit of the perfect drift, even if mine wasn't. Mr. Jim and me parted ways at that point. He continued on down the river and I headed back to the truck, to move a few more miles into the park.

Pulled this guy out of my first hole on my third cast, he ate the #12 Light Cahill.

Moved farther up the run, and landed 5 or 6 more small rainbows, mainly bhpt.

Then I made my way up to another of my favorite runs and made a few cast. On I believe my 4th or 5th my rod bent like it hasn't since I've been fly fishing. This fish had some shoulders. I kept seeing flash, flash, flash as this fish danced all over the pool. Then blast off, out the water comes the largest trout I've had the pleasure of seeing in the park, red like I've not seen down the body. For every tug on the line I gave, it gave two. Fought this fish for a solid 3 minutes. Then like that, as quickly as it started, it was over, my line slack and all that lye at the end of my line was 2 lonley drowned flys.

Typically after a tussle like that, destroying any sense of calm the pool has, I move on, however, something told me to cast just one more time. So I gathered myself, let the water chill, and cast the rope one more time. Defying the odds, someone was home, and under the Light Cahill went. Pull, tug, pull, tug, side to side, pull, tug.......... Rod up, side pressure, net!!!!!!!

Might not have been as big as his brother, who is still somewhere else in that pool but, I'll take it. Might not have started the day the way I planned either, however, met Mr. Jim. Might not have caught the big one but, caught a few really good fish. Might not have got out as early as I wanted but, at least we got out!!!!! Tight lines y'all!!!!
    Last edited by Topher2003; 05-19-2015 at 08:45 PM.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

Talking

Glad you were determined to get to the river. Most would have given up after the first distraction.

And you know what they say.... It's better to have hooked one and lost, than to never have hooked one at all At least you know the location of a big fish

It's also a pretty cool feeling to help someone out And refreshing when that advise actually works

Keep the reports coming
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Nice report. Sounds like you did Mr. Jim a solid, and have some good Karma coming your way. Go back in a few days and land that big fish!

Thx guys, I try to help others were I can. By no means am I anything close to most of the guys on here as far as experience, however, I think I've picked up a lot quick. Y'all have been a great source of knowledge, so I'm just trying to pay it forward. Oh, and bugg, I will go back
    Last edited by Topher2003; 05-19-2015 at 08:44 PM.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.