Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me Gheenoe

Default New to me Gheenoe

Hopes and expectations are high, finally found a Gheenoe (used) within a reasonable driving distance. Ran over to coastal NC yesterday evening after work. 300 miles and 6 hours later I was back home with a boat, wife standing on the back deck with her hands on her hips shaking her head!!

Anyhoo, I've got a long weekend now to check it out and get accustomed to it. I'm thinking of hunting for some Bream beds tomorrow if these showers clear out.

Interesting tidbit on the boat, the guy was telling me about fishing down in Florida, and he said he was talking with Flip Pallot (founder of the ****'s Bay Boat Co.) one morning when Flip told him he'd never been in a Gheenoe, the two ended up fishing together that day in this boat. I talked to Dan over at the shop a while ago and couldn't think of Flip's name to save me when I tried to tell him the story.

<(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Looks like the perfect setup for rivers, tailwaters, lakes and anything in between, congrats!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Nice rig Bran!

Thanks guys. Gary, I can pull it out in June and let you borrow it if you want.

Sweet ride I used to live watching flip pallot on espn2 Saturday mornings

Bran, It looks like a pretty new boat and you won't have to do a lot of mods to it. Maybe a front casting deck and rod storage. I would definetly add an anchor system to the bow that you can operate from the rear. I use mine all the time in my jon boat and the canoe.

I miss the old Walkers Cay Chronicles also. Flip was such a story teller in the way his show presented itself. Much better than anything out there now.
    He did a show a few years ago on "Fords Fishing Frontiers". I kept the episodes he made at the King Fishers Society lake on my DVR for two years. I liked to watch it every few months. My daughter deleted it to make room for her shows though. probably some vampire diary or something along those lines!

Yeah, I went to Walmart yesterday and would you believe those goobers didn't have a coated anchor?

get you a bicycle inner tube from wally world , and then go to lowes or HD and get 2- 2 ft lengths of heavy logging chain. put the chain into the tube and zip tie on. The log chain works well and is quiet. you can add or subtract weight as needed that way. works well if you want to drift through an area slowly by just dropping the chain down enough so it is barely touching the bottom. keeps the boat straight and I have rarely ever had it snag.
    I had to cut away my mushroom anchor a few weeks ago . those things get caught so easily in rivers.

Already starting to modify some, I removed the poling platform first. I tried it Friday and it's much better just standing on the seat. Second, it was impossible to reach the F-N-R handle on the outboard, and the only kill switch was the safety button. I used 1/2 PVC and CPVC to rig up my shifter, works great! I extended another T-handle and rope from the pull start on the outboard, and I got in series with the kill switch and ran wiring inside the gunwhale channel up to the rear seat. I'll stop at Lowe's today and pick up a blank box to mount the toggle switch in.

Good looking boat.
    My posts are worthless without pictures