Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smallie fishing

Default Smallie fishing

I've been more of a trout guy and have fished here and there for small mouths. I went out yesterday with now luck and began wondering what everyone's magic bass fly is. So what is it? If you had only one fly to bass fish with, what would it be?

Happy to help but need to no where you're fishing

Yesterday I was at the Holston close to The new ramp. Usually I go to French broad though. Thanks for the help.

Sandman,
    Try Barr's meat whistle in olive or white. It looks like everything and rides hook up so you don't get snagged as much.

frontieranglerstn.com
    Facebook

Tough question. Even though I would probably catch more bass just fishing a subsurface fly, I get so much more enjoyment fishing topwater, so I would say if only one fly, it would be a black stealth bomber. Works well in stained and clear waters. Lakes, rivers, and ponds. Fish it like a slider, with strips and pause ,drift it motionless like a knuckhead, or strip it fast under like a fleeing baitfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
    Tough question. Even though I would probably catch more bass just fishing a subsurface fly, I get so much more enjoyment fishing topwater, so I would say if only one fly, it would be a black stealth bomber. Works well in stained and clear waters. Lakes, rivers, and ponds. Fish it like a slider, with strips and pause ,drift it motionless like a knuckhead, or strip it fast under like a fleeing baitfish.
    I agree, subsurface stuff is fine and works well. But I'd much rather fish too water stuff. Stealth bomber is a great choice.

If you're fishing subsurface on the Holston always fish white, sure darker flies work okay, but wading it's really tough to present a fly well you can't track and even harder to consistently hook willing eaters when your fly is out of sight.

I like any streamer that uses rabbit strips or marabou, but prefer rabbit as it's tough and undulates well. If I had to choose one fly it'd be a white zuddler in a size 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Yesterday I was at the Holston close to The new ramp. Usually I go to French broad though. Thanks for the help.
    That's a darn good area, been catching a lot of nice ones there recently. Not with a fly so I'm no help there but there are big smallies all over that area

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    The new ramp off AJ highway? Good area. For topwater fun would vote black stealth bomber.

This is a white rabbit hair streamer that I use most of the time. If the water is low and clear I'll use a stealth bomber, but if it's a little murky I'll use this white streamer. It's also a good carp fly.

Here are a couple of fish I caught this morning on one.

Thanks
    Tad

I fish the Tennessee river near Chattanooga and this streamer is my go to fly.
    The small mouth love it.