Thread: New to me Fly Gear.

Talking New to me Fly Gear.

I've recently inherited, aquired, purchased (however you want to put it) some used gear which is in very good condition. A coworker and manager of mine had a child and between that and work hasn't fished in a few years. So he decided to clean out his garage and "let me use" his gear. I've already got a Sage Launch 5wt rod from him which I enjoy. So I decided to Aquire the rest. ol He's got a TFO Lefty Kreh 3wt and Lamson Konic 3wt which I am familiar with. But what I have questions about is a Bauer M1 super lite and a Sage VT2 5wt 8'6". I haven't cast the VT2 yet. So I'm anxious to do so.

My questions is how does it cast and fish? He said it was a fast action but I'm not sure. I know it's a older model and I'm just wondering if anyone's fished one. He was a clinch fisherman as myself so I'm guessing he used it there. I prefer a 9' but we'll see.

Also has anyone cast the Rio InTouch series of line. Either the gold or perception series? I fish Rio gold mostly and I am pretty well satisfied.

Btw, the Clinch has been GOOD this spring, as you all know.

Here is my 2 cents on the new Rio question, I have fished the old Gold for a couple of years now and love it. The old Gold can take a average caster in my humble opinion and put 20 yards on a cast and probably give them for the first time a chance to get great loops on a cast on a regular basis. I have been using the new tri-color gold for 4 months now ever since I went into LRO to have a new reel spooled with new line and Daniel and Dan hooked me up with it this winter. As people know I am tight and a big Ebay guy but after assuring my howls of despair of cost, I can say coulda, shoulda, done it even sooner when it came out. The last couple of years I only use a 2wt or 1wt in the park, so this was for my home tailwater the Clinch, when I break out the TFO 4 or 5 wt.

I fish a lot of soft hackle or wet flies(buggers) so I often have long line out on the water after a drift and stripping back. I always liked the original gold because of the 2 colors and it's help judging distance and did not think the tri-color would make much difference. It does help, especially on the retrieve, a lot of time with weight on especially with a fish, the head of the line is down and knowing the distance helps on the retrieve as well as the cast. Who needs to do math on the river, when I can just at a glance visually see the roughly 20ft/28ft/43ft color separation on the line, a big help for a boy who went thru the public school system!

On the flip side I know people who will never leave Cortland 335 or swear by the new Sharkwave/Sharkskin line (talk of texture line wearing grooves in guides scares me, who knows if true). Sounds like you lucked out on the rods have fun!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Thanks Bigsur! I planned on getting Rio Gold but saw the new InTouch series and wondered if anyone has fished it yet. I know a lot of people who fish courtland lines and say they cast and shoot like a rocket. Ive thought about trying some out but I'm pretty sold on Rio for now.

Robin, That bauer superlite is a nice reel. I'm currently fishing one on my 5wt and really like it a lot. Very smooth drag and for the past two years its been pretty bomb proof. I've actually done nothing to it and its just as good now as it was when I got it.
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Thanks Adam, he told me about the reel and I told him right away I want it. I'm excited for it. I'm gonna line it up and fish it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
    Thanks Adam, he told me about the reel and I told him right away I want it. I'm excited for it. I'm gonna line it up and fish it this weekend.
    If for some reason you don't like it ---> holler at me
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Haha okay but don't wait on me

I have a VT2 in 9' 4-weight, that is my principle Caney Fork rod. It's not as fast as most Sage rods, but smooth. I like mine just fine.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau