Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An unexpected day 5/27

Lightbulb An unexpected day 5/27

It has been very dry as of late, not much rain fall and the storms they call for seem to bounce around us. Many people are saying the Fishin' has slowed some, due to the low water. I get it, low water=spooky trout. I just had to get out though. 8am came, and I was off, to Greenbriar. I stopped at the Ramsey Prong Bridge, hopped out the truck, grabbed my gear. Usually when the water is higher there is quite a bit of flow at the bridge, however in this situation, beautiful pocket fools form instead.

Today I decided to tie on a #14 neversink-caddis with a #22 hothead euro pheasant tail (it's green with a rose tungsten head). I decided to head down to the end of the big hole below the bridge and work my way up. At first I was having trouble seeing my fly with sun on the water, and kept missing strikes , however, they were strikes. The fish were there I just couldn't hook up. I moved a lil upstream to get a better angle, and a lil less glare (sometimes shades just don't make that big a difference). Then like magic, FISH ON!!!!!!

Then another....

And another

Then another

This continued pretty much non stop for the better part of 2 hours as I made my way up past the bridge and up the left side of the fork. I decided to call it quits there and make my way back when I lost count at 33(my personal best 32, well it was). Once I got back to the truck I made my way a lil farther in to Greenbriar, a lil past the 4th bridge, pulled of at one of my favorite secrets. A lil hidden spot with some nice big pools but, takes some boulder hoppin real "imaginitive" casting. Once again though fish after fish.

Seemed like each drift ended with a fish, today was the day I broke 50. Honestly, that's just a guess, I just stopped countin. I had more pics however the limit is 12, I'm sure everyone finds this out eventually. It was amazing!!!!!!! I went out thinkin I'm gonna get skunked and had my best day yet...... Most of my takes were on the dropper but, I had a couple great blow ups and lost some nice fish too. Guys don't let the water being down stop you, just get out!!!!
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

Looks like a nice day, and great pictures.

I am left with a question though, those fish all look to be stone dead, some to the point of losing their coloration. I have no issues with folks keeping fish if that is the case, I was just curious.

To answer your questions waterwolf, some are, some are not, as you can see. When it's a fish I'm not keepin I try to get a picture and back in the water. The rest I grab snap shots of before I leave. Except in the case of the over aggressive little guys we all occasionally get that seem to like to gobble the whole nymph in one gulp, only 7"+ go in my kreel and limit 5 for dinner that evening, best fried with lemon. However this makes me want to ask my own question, so thanks.

I've been trying to figure out a better way to document what I come across out on my adventures. Like for example, today there were a ton of butterflys in the park, mating I guess, I mean a ton, as to the point of annoyance. I think it would have been cool if people could have seen that. Sorry for the ramble, QUESTION?? How do you guys document your adventures, what kind gear do you uses, dslr, smartphone, gopro, how do you have it rigged. I takes me like 1-2 minutes to net, unhook, renet, pull iPhone, position, shoot, release, stow gear, and reset. This time for the fish is crucial, and I have lost some due just to this process, and the stress. Some of y'all have it down to a science it seems like. Any pointers would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Topher2003; 05-28-2015 at 12:45 AM.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

If the eyes are not looking down, the fish is dead. I don't care, not above keeping a few myself, as long as it's legal. Brooks taste the best, by far.

My only question is, with no disrespect intended, why do you wear gloves? Just curious.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by Topher2003 View Post
    I've been trying to figure out a better way to document what I come across out on my adventures. Like for example, today there were a ton of butterflys in the park, mating I guess, I mean a ton, as to the point of annoyance. I think it would have been cool if people could have seen that. Sorry for the ramble, QUESTION?? How do you guys document, what kind gear do you uses, dslr, smartphone, gopro, how do you have it rigged. I takes me like 1-2 minutes to net, unhook, position, and shoot, release, stow gear, and reset. This time for the fish is crucial, and I have lost some due just to this process, and the stress. Some of y'all have it down to a science it seems like. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
    Not sure about everyone else but for me the fish stays in the water until the camera (DSLR) is ready. Then it is lifted for no more than 10 seconds (always with wet hands) and preferably less then back in the water. A picture is never worth a fishes life so if I cannot accomplish it in good time for any reason or if the fish is potentially compromised from a bad hook set, etc., then I skip the picture. I only photograph maybe 5% of the fish I catch at best and probably less and avoid touching fish if I am just releasing them without a picture (go barbless for this part).
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

ifish, no disrespect felt, I wear gloves, because I have a tendancy to hook my hands, for some stupid reason. I also seem to be that guy that finds the only briar bush and I end up with it in my hand. Yeah sharp stuff in my hand. They were cheap and fit the bill, have started falling apart as you can see. Thinking of buyin a new pair but, these still do the job.

David, thanks for the feed back on setup, and handling. How do you have you dslr setup for outdoor use, if you don't mind?? Even a lil water and it's ruined. I have a box for my phone, so if I drop it, it's good.
    Last edited by Topher2003; 05-28-2015 at 09:17 AM.

I quit taking pictures of my own fish pretty much unless I'm going to keep them, and like you all have said, nothing in the world wrong with eating a few within regulations. I don't keep many of anything anyhow, too much work!! If I have someone with me I love to have a CPR shot but if I'm alone, especially with a Trout, I'm getting to where I don't worry with it and risk killing the fish, dropping the phone, etc. I've been chastised a few times for a report with no fish pictures but that's ok with me, no worry. I love the water and landscape shots!!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Default Trip reports

I'm certainly no expert, but I've made a few trip reports over the years.

1. I typically never name the stream I'm fishing. This is less for myself, than it is out of respect for others on this board. I don't have a favorite stream or area, but I've fished with several people from the board that do. I know that when they see someone post the name of an area that they hold dear to themselves, they cringe a little. It also helps to get you invited to fish with others if they know they don't have to tell you "please, don't post this online".

2. Leave the cell phone in your pack and get a decent camera. I've got 3 that I take occasionally, but my Panasonic FZ35 goes the most often. It's a little better than a typical point and shoot, but doesn't weigh as much as my DSLR. I carry it in an Orvis Gale Force waist pack. I also have a small dry bag that I keep in the pack for when it rains, or I'm about to attempt something really stupid and know I may go in.

3. Keep your camera out on the walk in and walk out. I get 75% of my pictures for the post during this time. Butterflies, mushrooms, insects, flowers, bears, backpacker in flip-flops. Always keep the camera handy.

4. Don't worry about getting a picture of a bunch of fish. Like David, I only photograph a small percentage of fish I catch. Always take a picture of your first fish, it might be your only. Keep the fish in the water and get a few good shots of a couple fish and that's all you need. If you feel you may be stressing the fish more than what you should, turn it loose. I don't post many pictures of the browns I catch simply because I can't get a good picture without stressing it too much (see below about net).

5. I don't carry a net often, but if you want to get pictures, a net is necessary. Keep the fish in the water in a net while you get set-up. With smaller fish, I leave them swimming around the pool while I unzip the pack, flip the strap over my neck, and turn the camera on. I leave the lens cap off while fishing so it's one less thing I have to worry about. Bring fish in while leaving it in the water, lift up, snap picture, turn loose. Since I hardly fish with a net and can't just leave browns swimming in a pool, I just release without a picture to keep stress to a minimum.

6. Fill your post with scenery pictures and other interesting finds while on the water. You really only need a couple good fish pictures to make a post.

7. Instead of posting pictures of dead fish, post a picture of one fried, next to a pile of taters and some wilted ramps. The beauty of the fish is what I think looks good, and pale, dead fish, don't look good, fried and crispy ones do. 99% of the people that post on this forum understand that keeping fish in the Park is actually healthy for the stream but you will occasionally get that one that doesn't understand. Don't let that prevent you from posting in the future.

8. Post about most every trip. Practice makes perfect.

Disclaimer;
    The above is all just my opinion, please don't let it prevent you from not posting a trip report because it doesn't meet these recommendations. All posts are interesting to read and some people certainly don't like the way I do things. I've got the replies and emails to prove so.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Thanks for the feed back and input buzz, I am one of those many people who enjoy your reports. Dont worry I'll continue to post, just with a little bit more discretion. The break down you and David have put forward, gives me a good direction to go in. The board etiquette lesson, is much appreciated as well. I've been lookin in to GoPros, haven't quite finished my research. They are just so durable, and shoot pretty good stills, in addition to the video. Anyone have any experiences with them? I also really like the whole "pic of trout and potatoes" idea, gonna start instituting that at the end of each report.

Quote Originally Posted by Topher2003 View Post
    David, thanks for the feed back on setup, and handling. How do you have you dslr setup for outdoor use, if you don't mind?? Even a lil water and it's ruined. I have a box for my phone, so if I drop it, it's good.
    I just carry it in a regular camera bag that slings over my shoulder. The bag does have a built in rain fly. For full disclosure, I have fried a DSLR before but that goes with the territory. My current camera has gone to some of the most remote and toughest wading stretches in the Park. So far I have been lucky...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog