Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An unexpected day 5/27

Were you fishing solo? Cause I count 9 dead fish? To be honest the park could easily raise the limit with no I'll effects on the trout population. I was just curious is all...

Nope , I was with a buddy tryin to get him "hooked", he just caught warpaints and silver sides though. His thoughts were at least I'm catchin something besides a buzz, I told him if he could catch them, it was inevitable that he would catch a trout. However after our day I stand corrected, I crisened him "Shiner King". Our total limit for the day was 10 keepers, we were one shy.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

I started carrying a DSLR for all of my outdoor adventures about 6 years ago, at that time I was carrying it in a SealLine Seal Pak. It made a huge difference in the quality of my photos, and ultimately my reports. This combination actually fit perfectly inside my Fishpond Dragonfly pack.

Later I upgraded cameras, and it no longer fit inside the Seal Pak. So, now I just do like David and carry it in a regular over the shoulder sling bag on fishing and hunting trips. If I am going to be hiking in a good distance sometimes I will just opt for my Pentax Optio WG II P&S camera as it takes better than average pictures and has an awesome macro mode.

I know lots of people use their phones for photos, but most cameras will outperform a cell phone all day long. Camera phones generally have a lower sensitivity and can't process all the contrast and vivid colors that you see in nature.

The shiner king! Haha. I had a fishing buddy I used to call the "chub master"!

So, if I am fishing with someone who has a license but is basically just carrying a rod, I can keep 10 fish? Just curious.
    You can't stay dry and one temperature all your life! ROB

2weight, sometimes I have them hit and it feels just like a trout, other times I go to recast and I see a small fish fly though the air. SUPPERMAN!!!!!!! Speaking of shiners, is it just me or are some of them unusually large this year??
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Johnson View Post
    So, if I am fishing with someone who has a license but is basically just carrying a rod, I can keep 10 fish? Just curious.
    i would assume at a daily kreel limit of 5 fish per fisherman, 2 licensed fisherman on the trip= at total daily kreel limit of 10 fish for a group of 2, 15 for 3, 20 for 4, and so on. However, this is jmho, I could be totally wrong in how I translate the regulations.

OK, this happens to be my first post on the forum and I rather hesitate to make it in this thread. By way of full-disclosure, I'm a Yankee who lives in northern Pennsylvania but who fell in love with Tennessee and who may relocate to the eastern part of the state when I retire (hopefully reasonably soon).

As for the limit of trout, I can't speak to Tennessee's regs but in most states, party limits are illegal. In other words, you can't creel your buddy's limit of trout for him. Because he's standing there and has a license doesn't increase your limit. I'd be rather surprised if the OP didn't just publicly acknowledge having violated the law (though I've already suggested that I'm from PA and don't know the TN laws well).

I'd also suggest that strictly from the perspective of aesthetics, the dead trout photos were rather tasteless. I have no problem with someone who harvests a few within the legal limit but I got the heeby jeebies as soon as I scrolled down and saw all of the photos. I've enjoyed this board immensely while perusing it for the last several weeks. One of the primary reasons that I've enjoyed my limited time spent here has been the beautiful photo journals that some folks have posted of their adventures in some beautiful places.

I'd like to encourage all of those folks to continue because you've made this northerner very happy with your photo logs and I'd like to encourage the OP to try harder in certain respects. I'm not trying to chastise the OP or chase him away, it seems like he's trying to learn board etiquette and trying to make himself a welcome visitor. I hope that I'll be welcomed as a visitor too.

Thx gang green and welcome to the forum, you are correct, I am tryin to learn. I am tryin to follow suit of those who have came before me. I understand, how you feel. I also do not feel as those I'm being "chastised". as far as the law, I have fished this way my whole life in Tennesee. Wether it was on a boat Fishin for bass, limit 5 each, 3 of us on a boat so we can keep 15 total for the day or on a river Fishin for trout, limits are the same, however, if this is breaking the law, in any way, shape or form please, let me know. I promise my posts from this point forward, will be more "tasteful" nor make anyone "cringe". Critisism for me is a building block, **** I'm in sales, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without it. Some people need to grow a lil thicker skin these days, and learn from their mistakes, when people try to help and correct them. So thanks you guys. I am tryin to be a valued member of this fishing community y'all have formed, and hope I haven't ruined my welcome, before I've even really got started. So thank you and my apologies to everyone on this board.

Thanks for the welcome Topher. Like I said before, I'm an outsider so I won't comment further on Tennessee law because I don't know the particulars, I'll let the local folks work that out. That said, I do have some unique perspective on how seasons and bag limits are established. The bag limits are determined based on the ability and likelihood of the average guy/gal to kill X number of trout, bunnies, deer, bluegill, etc.. Since the fish and wildlife managers have a pretty good idea how much effort it takes for the average guy to harvest a trout or what the likelihood of the average guy killing a doe might be, they determine the season length and the bag limit based on those statistics. If they're to allow party limits (in other words, you, me and another guy all go deer hunting and I lay down 3 buck and make you and the other guy tag and report deer that you didn't kill), it makes the seasons shorter and bag limits less for everyone. The managers recognize that some people just aren't as good at harvesting trout or killing turkeys and that goes into their average. You can't establish seasons and bag limits based on what the best sportsmen are capable of harvesting, you have to use an average. If you allow party limits, it shortens the season or reduces the limit for everyone and most people don't want to see that happen.

Just my two cents and thanks again for the welcome to the board.