Thread: Dry and dropper?

Default Dry and dropper?

just started using the dry and dropper with pretty good results. Still getting used to it as I do miss some strikes on the dropper, but overall, I like it.

However, I do have a question. Casting takes some getting used to with this, but what throws better with a d&d, a slow rod or a faster rod or does it matter at all?

Thanks!

Not sure if it matters, maybe, I just don't know. You just have to practice and you will get used to it. I fish dry/dropper 99% of the time.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

I don't intend to hijack your thread, but with a dry and dropper, how much length do you put between the two? I usually put about 10-12 inches.

What other factors go into deciding the length?

Thanks!

I try to put around 16". However, I have put a bit longer, but the 16 seems to work better.

Don't know if that is the best as I am new to this game of dry and dropper, but that is what I have been told to use.

If you are fishing in the Smokies, Park regulations require a minimum of 12" between flies. I like to go a little longer, at least 16" or so. The last thing you need on a fishing trip is to have a Park ranger pull out a ruler and discover you are 1/4" short...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    If you are fishing in the Smokies, Park regulations require a minimum of 12" between flies. I like to go a little longer, at least 16" or so. The last thing you need on a fishing trip is to have a Park ranger pull out a ruler and discover you are 1/4" short...
    DK...your comment regarding the park ranger and his ruler is interesting. But there is no mention of spacing in the regulations for the dropper from the first fly.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

At least not in the above link. Is there a different set of regulations that the NPS goes by and does not make publicly available? Or am I totally missing it?
    Last edited by TheRiffleman; 06-05-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: SP error

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiffleman View Post
    DK...your comment regarding the park ranger and his ruler is interesting. But there is no mention of spacing in the regulations for the dropper from the first fly.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

At least not in the above link. Is there a different set of regulations that the NPS goes by and does not make publicly available? Or am I totally missing it?
    It is available in the Compendium of regulations on the Park website. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/manage...ndium-2013.pdf
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Thanks David. Lots of regulations that you don't see on the everyday handouts at the visitors centers. As far as the dropper is concerned you really don't want to set it much closer than 12" anyway. It seems like the closer the dropper is to the point fly the more fish you will snag, plus it gives you enough length to cut the dropper off and change it without tying in a new tag. I just pull a length of tippet off the length from my fingertips to my elbow (a cubit). That should give you enough length to tie 2 knots and comply with the dropper length.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali