Thread: off day recap

Default off day recap

I was able to get out for a couple days for some good times with a good friend, my step dad Steve, and younger brother. You guys have seen pictures and heard stories of my older brother Adam, so allow me to introduce to you to my curly-headed mini-me: Ben

Ben is 6 years younger than me and I remember taking him along in the boat once I was old enough to drive it myself. He has always loved fishing, and for someone that doesn't fish very often any more, he is very competent with a rod in his hand. The main goal this day was to enjoy fishing together, and we only had a couple hours. No monsters were caught, but my step dad (who is a heck of a bass fisherman), landed this nice smallie.

Ben provided the entertainment for the day by simultaneously missing a fish and taking a dive into the lake. I was casting a wiggle minnow, and he was casting a big Pop-R on a baitcaster. I felt him set the hook and miss, looked back at my wiggle minnow, and before I knew it he was in the water. Luckily, it is summer time and he was able to dry out without getting hypothermia. I wish I had video evidence, but I don't. It was hilarious. Here he is, drying out, along with Weasie soaking up the rays in my boat bag.

I also snuck away the following morning to harass a few carp. I had a great morning with 4 commons and a good sized buffalo to hand. I did manage to find a really big common standing on his head, with his entire tail sticking out of the water. I did hook this fish, but he ran me into some grass and brush and I lost the battle. It was a heck of a sight to see that golden tail sticking up out of the water and it is one of the coolest things to see as a fisherman. The fish were feeding hard and if you put the bug where they wanted it, they ate it.
    Hope you guys enjoy the pictures!

Nice fishes man, would have liked to been nearby when Ben took the plunge

Nice report Dan! I can relate to your Bro, I was talking to another fisherman last week while I should have been minding the outboard. It was still in gear when I threw the tiller out wide, I went the opposite direction and did a quick dive!!
    Nice Carp too! I saw a few cruising down the river past the Gheenoe night before last right before a T-storm hit, I had a small jig on the 5 weight that I was casting for Bass with so I led them and let it settle as best I could. They hit the next gear and split around it headed downriver!!

Did you cut the center storage out of your rig or was there ever one in it? Mine was made with one and I'm seriously considering taking it out.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Bran, there did used to be center storage on my boat but the guy that had it before me removed it, put in false floors, and put small braces from the floor to the top of the gunnel. I love the open design and will leave it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by dmunger View Post
    Ben
    Ben.......or Sideshow Bob
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Smallies and carp, looks like a good time to me. Nice job.

Buzz, that's funny!! Dan, when you get a chance will you take some pics of the floor? I'd like to do that in the future maybe. Thanks!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.