Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Search of New Water; Weekend Recap

Talking In Search of New Water; Weekend Recap

A group of buddies and I fished this last weekend in the park with much success. We are all three in college, and the other two live in Nashville, so it was nice to see them during the summer. We focused our trip around Tremont. We traveled a few miles up to the bottom of Panther the first day and worked our way up towards Lynn Camp. We caught some Brookies, but the walk seemed like it took all day. We ended up focusing the rest of our trip around Sam's Creek. One morning we drove down to the Oconaluftee in NC in search of some larger fish, specifically browns. One of my friends is not an experienced fly fisherman, and long casts were simply out of the picture. After about 30 minutes, we decided to head to Sam's and focus on smaller, easier fishable pocket water and got him on his first trout.

Below is my personal best park fish from the last day of the trip.

[IMG][/IMG]

Only one of my friends goes to college with me here at UT, and we will be fishing the park routinely once school comes back into full swing. We are equally competent and eager to fish all types of streams in the park. I am not in search of persay stealing anyones locations or streams, simply looking for some confident advice for other promising waters.

The matter of the fact is, I always find myself ending up at Tremont. Although this water has consistently produced fish, it sees a lot of anglers and seems a bit generic for someone who has gotten the hang of GSMNP fishing, and wants to broaden his horizon (I am yet to catch a brown in the park, and I am absolutely itching for one ). I fish primarily on Holston River with my dad and my previously mentioned experienced friend, and long casting and long fights feel natural to me, but I have finally become accustomed to small water, small fish, yet unparalleled excitement and scenery.

You can catch me in the shop every so often, I try to come by every time I fish the park, which is usually 4 or 5 times a month. Great to see someone from my high school working in the shop now! Excuse the lengthy post, but I had to put this weekend into words! All input is greatly appreciated.

Much thanks,

~Matt
    Last edited by matthew; 08-06-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    ...can't seem to get a picture to want to post, any help with that?
    http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=8456
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I fish the park almost exclusively. I usually am up there every weekend. I learned in the park and fished it for years and then took some time off due to wife, kid, etc. I have just in the last year taken it back up.

You are right, Tremont is getting a lot of pressure this year, obviously due to the re-opening of Lynn Camp. I have fished Middle Prong and Thunderhead several times since early this spring as it is the closest stream to me. However, in the last few weeks I have fished elsewhere.

In the last few months I have fished Catalooche, Little Catalooche and Palmer creek. I always wanted to go there, it is a destination and not the easiest or quickest place to get to. If you do go there, I suggest you get a spot at the campground. Going into and out of Catalooche is also not for the feint of heart. The drive in is interesting to say the least unless you come in from Cosby, but everyone has told me you don't want to do that at all.

I have also been on the NC side more, mainly due to the water conditions. The Oconaluftee, Bradley Fork, Kephart Prong, I did last weekend. Kephart was nice, but it is very small with lots of rhododendron. It's a tough creek.

I have also been over to Greenbriar and fished several streams over there. I really like the water, but it's a longer drive for me as I do not go through Sevierville, PF or Gatlinburg. I stay on 40 and come in through Newport. It is longer, but at least I am not sitting in traffic.

I have fished high up on the LP, mainly due to conditions down low. Traffic does get to be a hassle a little bit.

By far the most activity from what I have witnessed is Tremont first and Greenbriar second. I have also fished Little River above Elkmont and there was a lot of fishermen up there too. I try to concentrate on the less fished areas and smaller streams.
    Last edited by JayR; 06-10-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Matt, are you staying in Knoxville? I just graduated from college and am working in Knoxville. I've fished the park quite a bit and would love a fishing partner for the summer if you're interested let me know. I plan on going this weekend sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    In the last few months I have fished Catalooche, Little Catalooche and Palmer creek. I always wanted to go there, it is a destination and not the easiest or quickest place to get to. If you do go there, I suggest you get a spot at the campground. Going into and out of Catalooche is also not for the feint of heart. The drive in is interesting to say the least unless you come in from Cosby, but everyone has told me you don't want to do that at all.
    JayR,

would you be willing to speak off-line on some detailed question about Catalooche. If possible i can be contacted at william.mclemore01 @ gmail.com

Sorry, did not mean to steal your tread

Hey Matt, if you are really interested in catching a nice brown trout I would stick with the Ocanaluftee, Bradley fork area. It's crawling with nice browns.
    You can't stay dry and one temperature all your life! ROB

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Going into and out of Catalooche is also not for the feint of heart.
    Ain't this the truth. But, I would recommend everyone spend some time there.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
    Ain't this the truth. But, I would recommend everyone spend some time there.
    Buzz what are you saying?

Only those individuals who have a death wish should venture into Cataloochee. Between the road the runs along the edge of a cliff, the herds of elk with razor sharp antlers that chase people, and finally the turkeys that like to enter your tent and slash your sleeping pad/bag.

I highly recommend people stay far away from that area of the park if you value your life...

Cataloochee is absolutely my favorite place in the park. Thankfully, it is so far off the heavily traveled trail that you usually only find others who really want to experience the outdoors are there with you. Not like the hoards of people who go to Cades Cove and never get more than 5' off the side of the road. The elk are a cool addition, but the beauty of that place is the valley itself and all the wonderful trout streams located in it. I am also very happy that they finally opened the frontcountry campground to reservation only, as I have driven back there a couple of times to find it completely full by noon (and that was on a rainy non-holiday weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by 3wt View Post
    Matt, are you staying in Knoxville? I just graduated from college and am working in Knoxville. I've fished the park quite a bit and would love a fishing partner for the summer if you're interested let me know. I plan on going this weekend sometime.
    Yes, I've lived here almost all my life. Where did you go to school?

Will be in Cataloochee for five days starting Saturday. Hope my wife lets me get away from the camp to fish a little 😈