Thread: Couldn't match the hatch 😭 6/11

Default Couldn't match the hatch 😭 6/11

Got started a little late today, we all get lazy sometimes . I got to the park around 1:30 and hit this beautiful stretch of water first.

As I started making my way up stream, I notice quite a bit of bug activity on top of the water and in the air. They looked to be gnats or maybe an ant with wings is a better description. It was around a size #20. They kept landing lol over me, when I'd move my sunglasses, they were immediately in my eyes. Fish were hitting them left and right. Shiners, warpaints, trout, all right in front of me. Yet I had nothing in my box to match😨. I looked and dug, I have every other smokies pattern, no gnat . So I continued on with my #16 hi-vis neversink caddis with a #22 pheasant tail dropper. I had plenty of last minute refusal. You know, the ones where they dart up so fast and then turn away so quick that the momentum of the turn smacks the 💩 out of your fly and drowns it in one foul swoop😡. I also managed to send a pretty good sized crawfish supermaning through the air😂. However, I guess yellow still works in the mountains because I managed to land a few fish today. Mainly on the dry, and a couple on the dropper. Made my way back to the truck around 7. Wasn't skunked, fishing was defiantly slow though. So to help avoid this situation next time, what insect do y'all think this was that I encountered, and what imitation should I use to mimic the natural? Tight lines y'all, and here's a lil good stuff.

I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

Talking

I know the black flies eat me up this time of year. I never thought about trying to match their hatch. Midge hatches are another I never try to replicate since they are so small.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

I've never had crayfish take my neversink, but I have caught salamanders on it!

Quote Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
    NDuncan, neither have I, he grabbed the dropper. The neversink stopped dead in a small pocket. I thought maybe it was hung, or a small shiner grabbed it. When I yanked the line, to my surprise a good sized craw came careening out of the water like a trash can lid. I'm sure he was as surprised as I was��.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

Quote Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
    A friend of mine once caught a hellbender in a WNC stream several years back. Needless to say, he was just a little bit surprised